Rattling sound from drivetrain - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rattling sound from drivetrain

My 08 makes an odd rattling noise from the drivetrain when I'm on the throttle. Clutch in, it goes away. The noise also goes away when there is no tension on the chain: only occurring during acceleration.

It sounds similar to a Ducati dry clutch (I'm using synthetic Shell 5W-40). There is no clutch slippage and everything works perfectly. The chain and sprockets have 17K well oiled miles on them: getting to the end of their life for sure, but showing no signs of excessive wear on the sprocket teeth.

The bike has made this noise for as long as I've owned it (2 yrs) with no ill effects that I can tell.

Has anyone run into this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Does it sound like this....

If so i tightened up the chain and that helped some.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Nope. I'll attempt to get an MPEG up with a better description.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Excessive chain slack?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Agree with Invader and Weljo. The slacken chain hits the muffler.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to zielony Send a message via Skype™ to zielony
I have same situation and definitely is not chain...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 AM

As mentioned, mine made the sound when the chain was to slack. When on the throttle the chain would hit the plastic guard on top of the swing arm.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM

Garage
If you pull the clutch and let the engine slow down to idle, is the noise still there

Louder, faster, same, none

If it still there, something that is roling at the speed of bike is responsible

If gone or change, problem from the engine or the tranny

My 2 cents

LOP
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:49 PM

the rear hub has rubber dampers (cush drive) between the wheel and the rear sprocket but usually the bike has to be pretty old for them to wear out and cause noise.. something to check...it might be a good idea to remove the wheel and check the bearings too.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 03:14 PM

The only gripe I have with my '09 versys is the excessive gear whine
It has been that way since new and in all gears at all speeds.

If I didn't wear ear plugs it would really detract from an otherwise
excellent ride
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcooper View Post
My 08 makes an odd rattling noise from the drivetrain when I'm on the throttle. Clutch in, it goes away. The noise also goes away when there is no tension on the chain: only occurring during acceleration.

It sounds similar to a Ducati dry clutch (I'm using synthetic Shell 5W-40). There is no clutch slippage and everything works perfectly. The chain and sprockets have 17K well oiled miles on them: getting to the end of their life for sure, but showing no signs of excessive wear on the sprocket teeth.

The bike has made this noise for as long as I've owned it (2 yrs) with no ill effects that I can tell.

Has anyone run into this before?
Probably chain/sprocket wear although usually this is also present when coasting. I'd put the bike up on a pit stand and rotate the rear wheel to check for changes in resistance, binding, chain slack, etc..

If your chain is aligned OK and has 3.0mm to 3.5mm of slack you need to replace the sprockets and chain, noises will slowly increase over time.

Suggest OEM front sprocket and after market rear sprocket with side beveled gears in stock sizes. The OEM front sprocket has a rubber noise/vibration damper the aftermarket front sprockets don't have. Xring chains will usually outlast Oring chains but cost more. This is an easy DIY project but requires the purchase of a chain tool for ~$60. You also need a metric socket set with a 26mm socket. Lots of videos on youtube on how to do this.

Last edited by Sprocket; 08-24-2012 at 09:44 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 02:44 AM

IMHO, Either is too tight (chain experiencing excessive shock pull) or too slack (too much up and down flexing).

MY SOP: Sit on the bike, reach down for the chain and check the slack.

Sit and move back on the bike. If can hear some "creak crake" sound, chain's too tight.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:05 PM

I had this when my stock chain and sprockets needed changing. It wasn't a tightness issue (I played with the adjusters a *lot* trying to make it go away).

New chain and sprockets fixed the issue.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 PM

Mine does the same. Chain is within spec and sprockets are fine. Only anoying when riding close to a higheay barriers. I just ignore it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:21 AM

Check to make sure the chain is aligned. My KLR rattled and I checked the chain and it was maybe out 2 turns out of adjustment. Made it quieter and the chain will no doubt last longer too. I use a alignment gauge for this and it's faster and easier than a tape or string. And if it doesn't solve the noise you're still better off.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode