Power Commander + 08 Versys Exhaust - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Power Commander + 08 Versys Exhaust

V-Nation we burnin up the highways down here now. I installed my PCiii today and used the Akrapovic map + enabled the accelerator pump utility with settings of 80%throttle/20RPM duration/20%boost. With the combination of my 08' Versys DIY exhaust the thing is just silky smooth and wicked fast! I am very impressed with what the PCiii did for my bike. 08' Versys did you ever get that Dyno tune with your set up? I was curious what the difference might be running a map specific to your set up 'versys' the Akrapovic map? If it's any better that right now....whoh! If any yall still bumpin round the idea of getting a Power Commander, JUST GET ER DONE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any change in MPG ?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't know yet. I was only able to ride about 30 minutes on this set up so far....rain storms moving through. I imagine it will drop some, that's the word I get from all my friends that have are running it.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 PM

sounds good! I'm going to put one on my bike in a week or so... can't wait!

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 PM

You will notice a small drop in mileage. Last few fairly long rides I took I was averaging 48MPG. Before the PCIII & full Arrow exhaust I saw 52MPG+ on longer rides...

WORTH IT in every aspect for me!

Edit: This is with full luggage (Givi E21's & V46) and Givi windscreen. Just an FYI...

Last edited by MackDaddy; 11-16-2008 at 09:45 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 08:39 AM

What is this DIY exhaust you speak of? Description? Pictures?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 AM

Yes, pictures please.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Here ya go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaversys View Post
What is this DIY exhaust you speak of? Description? Pictures?

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=578

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Bear! I did get to ride this weekend and after putting some good seat time in I am 100% satisfied. The fuel mileage dropped a little but oh well, I'm after performance first then mileage. Don't get me wrong, I like mileage but that is not why I bought the Versys.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Does the PC hurt your engine does it void the warranty how much more performance can i expect out of it can i safely get.

Last edited by versysred; 11-17-2008 at 09:30 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It won't hurt your engine. As far as the warranty goes; what the dealer does'nt know won't hurt them. In the unlikely event that something goes south with your bike and you do have to bring it in, just unplug everything and put it back the way it was. The only thing that will hurt the bike is not doing the regular maintenance and ragging it out. Go to the Power Commander website and there is plenty info on how it works and what it does. Hope this info helps
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 08:38 AM

The PC3 has a vampire style connector that crimps onto the throttle position sensor cable, so removing the PC leaves a clue to it's presence. Also, I think manufacturers would have every right to deny a warranty claim if they had evidence a PC was installed on the bike.

Having said that, I don't think a PC with a good map will ever cause a problem. In fact I have one on my trackbike and it performs flawlessly and helped clean up the already excellent throttle response. Some people like to remove the sub-throttle valves and this can cause an extreme lean condition at certain throttle positions/RPM combinations. Prolonged use could definitely cause engine damage.

The bottom line is this, if you install a PC it should not affect reliability if a proper map is used. However, if you have an engine problem, be ready for a fight from Kawasaki.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM

"The PC3 has a vampire style connector that crimps onto the throttle position sensor cable"

I actually soldered & heat shrink wrapped mine for a permanent install. I'm definitely not in the "fight with Momma Kawasaki" arena if she goes BANG. I'm that confident that with proper install, mapping and human interaction (i.e. riding style) it's a rock solid decision to go with a full aftermarket exhaust & PCIII install. Plus, I just can't stop tweaking my play toys.

Edit: I also removed the secondary throttle body butterflies & installed an Ivan's PAIR blockoff plate as well. All is good my friends.

Last edited by MackDaddy; 11-22-2008 at 09:06 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm glad yall share my confidence in the PCIII in relation to engine reliability. Let the Good Times Roll!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:06 PM

Apparently, there is a PC5 coming out with the capability to "self-map". That might be worth waiting for.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:09 PM

I gotta get one of these setups! Fantastic job, 8V! Hey buyers, if you want to proclaim your unique setup to the world, put one of these on your swoopy swingarm.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...QQcmdZViewItem
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:03 AM
thy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouVersys View Post
It won't hurt your engine. As far as the warranty goes; what the dealer does'nt know won't hurt them. In the unlikely event that something goes south with your bike and you do have to bring it in, just unplug everything and put it back the way it was. The only thing that will hurt the bike is not doing the regular maintenance and ragging it out. Go to the Power Commander website and there is plenty info on how it works and what it does. Hope this info helps
and the PCIII of cbr2003 is not valid for versys right? (it's a matter of conectors or configuration? )
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 AM

No. They are model specific.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 PM

I've had the PCIII for a long time and it has worked great. One time though I had problems starting. When I brought it to the dealer and said that I found that the fuel pump was only letting out about 25 ml of fuel when the book says it should let out 60 ml, they proved what I was saying was true but Kawasaki said the book was not right.

Anyway, they said other bikes have had issues with the PCIII and mine may be an issue with the starting and if it persist, I should try disconnecting it.

What is strange is that the starting problem that happened at least 10 times before I brought it to the dealer, never happened again when I got it back even though they didn't fix anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode