PCV for V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
PCV for V

I am looking at PCv for 08 Versys. Two choices. One controls just fuel.
The other controls fuel and ignition. Is controlling the ignition that big of a plus for the difference in cost? Going with Arrow slip on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbolt View Post
The other controls fuel and ignition. Is controlling the ignition that big of a plus for the difference in cost? Going with Arrow slip on.
1st Indy Superbikes has the best price I've seen for all power commander products, ck them out.
2nd the price difference is only $20, I know I have and I think I've read here where Invader has also, bumped initial timing mechanically. I went with 4 degrees and I also closed cam overlap 6 degrees. Benefit? better lowend torque. I'm a lightweight rider on a lightened bike, but I can pull full throttle cleanly from 2500 rpm, 6th gear. That with 16/43 gearing! Downside, lost ~6mph top speed. I'm going to have to replace the autotune unit or O2 sensor soon as it's not functioning after 2.5 yrs. I may upgrade to the newer pc5 unit as well. My thinking is that through software tuning I might retain the lowend and gain back high rpm power, plus I've been kicking around the idea of nitrous in the FRONT of my mind for ~2 yrs. and I know from previous experience that I'll find it necessary to alter timing. Just my thoughts on the subject?

Lean/Two
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 PM

What is your average MPG with the PCV?

For 20 more dollars, I would go for the ignition timing capabilities. Gas adjustment is great, but ignition curves make a world of difference on any machine, in my experience. A good pipe should respond well to ignition adjustments as well. Furthermore, powerband smoothing can be achieved, when the stock, overly conservative ignition curve is replaced.

My guess is the added Ignition adjustability will add performance while retaining MPG if done right.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndeli55 View Post
What is your average MPG with the PCV?

For 20 more dollars, I would go for the ignition timing capabilities. Gas adjustment is great, but ignition curves make a world of difference on any machine, in my experience. A good pipe should respond well to ignition adjustments as well. Furthermore, powerband smoothing can be achieved, when the stock, overly conservative ignition curve is replaced.

My guess is the added Ignition adjustability will add performance while retaining MPG if done right.
My last two fill-ups (after 200+ miles each) showed 52.3 riding my pace alone, and 55.7 riding with a relative newby to the street. Both a mix of in/out of small towns and some of the crookedest(is that a word) I can find within 100 miles of were I live. Similar weather both days.

Lean/Two
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:26 PM

wow. that aint too shabby. It is better than I am getting stock.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:18 AM

PCV is a tool that together with autotune can transform according to your needs your bike. It all goes down to the target AFR.

Autotune will take the AFR and will target that number under the rpm and the throttle % as a guide. it is up to the user and the way that he/she treats the engine to see better mpg or worst.

from my humble experience that V is OEM tunned very rich in fuelling, in some cases it makes the V run far worst than it could, but the akashi factory has tuned it this way to fit all environments and users in mind...PCV together with autotune can customize the fuelling system according to your needs and environment.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:44 PM

PC5 You still IN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbolt View Post
Your inquirere about the PC5 alerted me to the upgrade to include ignition mapping. As I stated my Autotune feature had become defective over the last year. I just ordered and received the new PC5 unit and a new Autotune. Turns out as I expected that only the sensor was bad. Going to procure another Bosch sensor so I'll have a complete NEW Autotune for sale shortly. I'm also going to sell my original PC5 at discount. Has performed well for 2+ yrs. Pricing TBA.

Lean/Two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode