Air filter - stay with stock or change? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Air filter - stay with stock or change?

I'm about to send my V for its 6,000 km service. Should I change to a more reputable air filter (such as DNA or K&N) or just stay with the stock OEM filter? What's the performance enhancement of changing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I changed to the BMC filter when i replaced my plugs. Not really impressed with the stock filter after getting a good look at it. Riders Discount had the best price.

Stock Filter.

IMG_0559 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yychow0812 View Post
What's the performance enhancement of changing?
I think that the most you will likely get are opinions like weljo's. I doubt that anyone has had the bike on a dynamometer to quantify the difference between air filters.

While the OEM filter does seem to be wanting compared to the more substantial filters in my automobiles, it seems to be working for most Versys owners. Given the lack of quantified differences, I will be sticking with the OEM filter.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:36 PM

How do you get to it? I looked in the manual and it said to take it to the dealer.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Donkey View Post
How do you get to it? I looked in the manual and it said to take it to the dealer.
Take your tank off. .then just slip the filter out of the air breather box.

IMG_0557 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Donkey View Post
The first step would be to download the service manual (available as a sticky in the technical section of the forum), because you'll first have to learn how to remove the tank. I would suggest disconnecting the fuel line from the tank, since there's currently a thread running on the home page about how easy it is to break the fuel line on the pump, if the tank slips while doing what Weljo has illustrated.

Lord knows I understand the attraction of farkles, but IMO there's nothing wrong with the OEM filter. Just keep cleaning it. The manual says to replace the filter every couple of years but that seems unnecessary, unless it is damaged (again IMO). It's designed to be cleaned and reused.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM

I was riding some really dusty gravel roads recently and it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it. I know my KLR air filter gets nasty in those conditions in no time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode