Let's talk tall windscreens. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Let's talk tall windscreens.

With the coming fall/winter months I know I'm going to be needing to do something about all the wind hitting me on my V.

I'm 6'02" and have the Seat Concepts Seat which raises me up an additional 1 inch.

I frequently have a passenger, either my wife or one of my daughters.

Tonight with my wife riding along I noticed a significant amount of wind buffeting my head.

Rather than buy 5 different windscreens I'd rather take your recommendations.

So what do you guys suggest for a tall rider?

Thanks for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 PM

After searching around the tallest I found was the Givi. It could use to be a bit wider to be perfect.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
on your search. I am only 5'9" so any input will be a waste.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 AM

Unfortunately, these's too many variables for anyone to really say what works for them will work for you. I'm not as tall as you (5'11") and I'm actually happy with the stock screen as the other ones I've tried haven't worked (for me). But then that also comes down to my helmet as well as the Powerbronze screen (4" taller) was ok with a normal helmet, but with my preferred Arai TourX, the buffeting it introduced to the peak wasn't nice. Same with the MRA Varioscreen, bad buffeting except if the aero foil was set to its lowest position. Therefore, there was no real point in spending my hard earned on that expensive piece of plastic (I had been lucky enough to borrow one from a work mate).

One thing you will have to remember is that the Versys isn't far off being a naked bike and you'll never get a totally wind free experience at all times.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking the Givi or adding the MRA X-creen Add-On (attached to stock screen) found here http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6777/788/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Some years back, Blipco started a thread about modding a Yamaha Majesty 400 scooter windshield to work on his V. I liked the idea, and since have bought and modded two of them, one for each V, which I use during the cooler/ wetter months. Just measured it and it's about 24" tall. Here are two pics - one showing the Majesty shield cut to fit, the other it mounted on the Green Hornet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V'shield1.jpg (30.3 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg V'shield3.jpg (39.9 KB, 582 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM
VOz

Givi D410ST for 2010+ V

I am 6" 1" Long body. It is pretty effective but could do with a bit more width and maybe a touch taller.

Looks great on the bike!

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM

I'm 6'1".....I bought the Givi 410 for my 2012 V. HATED it. Made me feel like I was in the paint shaker.
I'm so close to buying the MRA touring+ X-Creen spoiler. It's just so hard for me to justify the price....especially since I don't even use the bike that much!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
I was thinking the Givi or adding the MRA X-creen Add-On (attached to stock screen) found here http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6777/788/
Zat....please buy this thing and let me know what you think!!!!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

I ordered the Givi yesterday.

Figure I'll try that first. If it doesn't work out I might add the X-creen add-on. If that combo doesn't work out I'll sell the Givi and get the MRA touring and put the X-creen add-on on it.

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:51 AM

I tried the Laminar lip on my Givi windscreen. It didn't help. And the velcro "dots" kept drawing my eyes to them while I rode. When I get time I will try it at differing heights, etc. and try it on the stock shield (like the CycleWorld test bike), and on a V-Stream shield that I've got laying around.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Got my Givi screen today.

Switched out the stock for it and took a ride. Here are my impressions as a 6'02" rider with the Seat Concept seat:

- Full upright position: Ugh.. this was awful. Buffeting all over the place.. head, shoulders, arms, hell even the front turn signals were flopping around.

- Two (well 4 if you count them all) bottom holes: Felt pretty good. Buffeting was gone. Could feel some air on chest, but not a lot of pressure. Darn near perfect.

- Two (well 4 if you count them all) top holes: This was the sweet spot for me. Buffeting non-existent. Some air on chest again but even less pressure than stock. This was a very noticeable change from the stock windscreen. This or the above setting will probably be my winter screen.

Thanks all for the advice and help.

Last edited by Zatx; 08-10-2012 at 09:12 PM.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:47 PM
MTS

Givi!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 AM

I have the Givi on my 2012 and noticed that mounting it in the top location leaves a large gap at the bottom. THIS is a good thing as it sets up a bit of a laminer flow and makes a bigger "Pocket" for me to hide in! BUT as there's still some air moving behind the shield It's NOT a hot box.

I don't mind CLEAN air on me, like it as a matter of fact when it's hot, but I hate long trips and buffeting. I do think the bikes a little more "Active" in traffic so I try and pass Semi as fast as I can...minivans as well.

BTW I have the SC with +1 foam so gained about 1-1.5" and I am 6'

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to zielony Send a message via Skype™ to zielony
http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/56785.jpg

this one is best possible

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM

windscreen

I have a 2004 stock BMW r1150rt screen from my old bike. I drilled new holes and installed little carpet tabs between the screen and frame the get the best angle. Installed little black plactic plugs in the old BMW holes. Look around for any large screen and think about how it might fit.

Cb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 410.JPG (147.0 KB, 539 views)
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zielony View Post
That is the MRA Vario. Apparently pretty good for shorter riders. However, now they have the X-Creen, which looks like the vario, but the blade is much bigger. Supposedly better for taller people.
http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Kawa...g_Screens.html Scroll down to the second one....
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 PM
MTS

Thats pretty cool! When I got the Givi they just came out with it for the 2010's. Two months later they came out with a taller one. I really like the one I got sorry no numbers about 20inches tall!

Before that I had a CS and man it was about 26inches to heavy and almost ripped off, would have riuned the plastic at 85mph. The Givi's are really light, and thats a good thing!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
That is the MRA Vario. Apparently pretty good for shorter riders.
I'm 6'-5" and the MRA Vario (caveat: on a Madstad Bracket) is the solution for me.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 PM

Just completed a 3000 km trip from Calgary to Victoria and back on my '09 V with Paraballum tall windscreen set on highest mounting position. It worked very well. Away from large trucks there is very little buffeting.

At 6' 2" with 32" inseam I am looking over the top by 2 or 3 inches. The wind seems to be just going over the top of my helmet. I could open my face shield on my full face helmet and not get much wind in my face. Most of the trip I had my face shield open 1 notch which was nice in 30C+ heat.

I was very happy with it.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode