PIAA Horn Installation... HELP!! (please) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy PIAA Horn Installation... HELP!! (please)

Hey guys.

I bought the PIAA 500/600 horn system, received it from Amazon today. Took the fairings apart and got down to installing it, then quickly figured out I was in way over my head.

You see I'm not very mechanically skilled (zero skill) and have even less skill with electrical work. My garage doesn't look like an ACE hardware and I don't have spare do-hickies and parts lying around.

Can you guys give me some help/suggestions on where and how you installed both horn units? I actually have the wiring figured out, just need to get some splice connectors from my work. I just can't figure out how to mount them... what bits and pieces I need to make it all work.

Any help you can provide is hugely appreciated. This stock horn is just not safe for getting distracted drivers attention.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM
MTS

Not sure what you have done but there is at least two threads on this subject on this forum.

I installed both right at the same stop the stock horn was but welded up a bracket because I am a steel worker, welder, you could say.

Other guys put the second horn where ever they could find a spot, or bolt!

Wiring is simple and in the package, just like hooking up speaker, good luck! Its very easy! Don't over think it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by onewizard; 10-22-2018 at 10:46 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 PM

Used the same location as Capn Kirk describes here, was the easiest position to mount it in with (almost) zero modifications -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
These puppies are loud! I have never liked the sound of a stebal, kinda like a kids train at the park. This set sounds like a 70's model V8 car.

I chose the PN 85110 400/500HZ (lower or deeper sound). Amazon has them at $45.35 shipped at the moment. That price fluctuates as high as $55. I caught it when they went back down to $45.

Per the wiring schematic in the OEM service manual, the horn is on a fuse all by itself (10AMP). The stock horn is listed at 2.5 amps per the book. The PIAA is around 5 AMPs for the pair per this post on the FJR forum. If the OEM switch in the handlebars can handle the doubled current as other here have had great success, everything should be OK.

I bought the following connectors and did not cut into the stock wiring at all.

Mounted the splitter connectors to the 1st horn in the OEM location.

Plugged in the OEM connectors to the 1st horn in OEM location. Made 2 jumpers to come off the 1st horn and go to the second. I mounted horn #2 just behind #1 as shown. I had to remove the splash cover from horn #2 to make it fit. This should not get much spray where it is located anyway.

Also, I don't care for the flashy decals they plastered all over the horns so I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive and removed them.

A few shots after putting the fairings back on.

Here are the connectors I picked up. Advance Auto was the only parts store (out of 4) in my town that stocked the 90 degree connectors. O'reily's stocked the splitter connectors.

Very pleased with the install and can go back to factory in minutes should I want to sell the bike.

Lastly, I brought my wife into the garage to show her the horns and give her a nice loud blast. She said "Damn those are loud"!

No more road runner "beep" "beep"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:46 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Yeah sorry guys I was a bit frustrated last night and didn't do my own research. Nothing seemed to be going right. As usual though Cap'n Kirk comes to my rescue with an easy to follow guide with pictures.

Thanks all.

I will give it another go tonight with hopefully more patience.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 AM

Nice work there, Capn Kirk.

Bosch 110db twin compact EC6 horns.
Get a relay and thick wires to hold the load.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 PM

"Get a relay and thick wires to hold the load."

As stlee29 says...good advice. You don't want the load from those beefy horns to melt your OEM horn wiring, which wasn't designed for the current load.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to Cap'n Kirk and his thread I was able to get these installed in about 15mins.

They sound great and no need for a relay.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
"Get a relay and thick wires to hold the load."

As stlee29 says...good advice. You don't want the load from those beefy horns to melt your OEM horn wiring, which wasn't designed for the current load.
Electrically speaking, that is excellent advice. But, I rolled the dice and have had no issues.

Can't say much about the switch because I have no documentation on its current capacity. At 5 amps, the current wiring should be fine as short bursts of current through the stock wires will not give them time to melt. Most wiring is rated more than twice the normal usage. Granted if you are a road rage kind of driver and you hold the horn for 15 seconds while flying the bird, you might pull enough to cause concern.

Another reason I decided to skip the relay is I have not read here or on any other forums about the Piaa's melting stock wiring. I am sure if someone has a casualty, they will post up!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 05:31 AM

Besides the possibility of frying your OEM wiring, also consider that the horns will only honk at their stated dB rating if they are fed sufficient juice. I have heard the difference side by side with Stebel Nautilus horns on ST1300s (OEM wiring and wired separately with the OEM horn firing a relay). Louder is better, whatever works for you.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
whatever works for you.
Workin' just fine for me!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode