How much does the front have to be lowered with the Motowerks kit - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 3 Post By mrvwbug
  • 2 Post By mrvwbug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

How much does the front have to be lowered with the Motowerks kit

So I found out today, 3 weeks after picking up my 2009 V 650 that one of the previous owners (not the guy I bought it from) had installed the Motowerks lowering link on the back, but it looks like they never lowered the front end to match, it wasn't really noticeable as the bike doesn't sit funny or anything. I actually don't mind the lowering link and have no real desire to remove it, but what I need to know is how much do I need to drop the fork tubes in the clamps to even out the ride height again and fix the issues with the geometry (the bike is kinda vague in a lean right now even with the preload set 3 turns off full stiff). Also once the front is lowered I assume I will need to shorten the side stand, which is the recommended solution? Get a Ninja 650 side stand or get the flat foot kit from Motowerks?

I did search, but didn't find much info on how much the front needs to come down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 PM

Garage
I put the lowering kit on my 09 and lowered the front but after a while i put the front back to normal and liked it better that way...But hey thats just me.....Here Ya Go...https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...31950726149048
unstable_rider likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Already read the instructions, they weren't very helpful for setting up the front end. As a bigger guy (260lbs) I probably do want the front ride height set correctly. It looks the fork tubes can be dropped approximately 1.25 inches in the clamps. Right now only about 1/4 inch of fork tube is showing above the top clamp. I am impressed with the suspension though, I am used to having to max the rear preload on most bikes, I only need to have it at the 4th notch in back which is only the halfway point.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Direct Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvwbug View Post
Already read the instructions, they weren't very helpful for setting up the front end. As a bigger guy (260lbs) I probably do want the front ride height set correctly. It looks the fork tubes can be dropped approximately 1.25 inches in the clamps. Right now only about 1/4 inch of fork tube is showing above the top clamp. I am impressed with the suspension though, I am used to having to max the rear preload on most bikes, I only need to have it at the 4th notch in back which is only the halfway point.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...56211676856661

Also a old link but accurate info, http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1316034-post8.html
I found it difficult to navigate for the info on Moto Werk and will advise Speedy of that, took 2 tries to find it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 10:03 AM

Garage
Quote:

260lbs....I'd like to get back down to that..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
260lbs....I'd like to get back down to that..
Joe - you GOTTA quit going on those 'restaurant-runs' that you feature pics of their 'grub'....

weljo2001 and mrvwbug like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 12:53 PM
RMS

I am not so Shure that it was the pic`s of the plates FULL of food as much as the pic`s of the EMPTY one`s
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 02:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
I am not so Shure that it was the pic`s of the plates FULL of food as much as the pic`s of the EMPTY one`s

I was always told never to waste food...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 03:07 PM

For the OP................mine was done when I bought the bike used............and it is 1 1/4" above the triple tree. Seems to ride just fine.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
For the OP................mine was done when I bought the bike used............and it is 1 1/4" above the triple tree. Seems to ride just fine.
Thanks, looks like taking it down to the end of the smooth part of the tubes will get exactly that much drop, now the issue of the side stand haha.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks, looks like taking it down to the end of the smooth part of the tubes will get exactly that much drop, now the issue of the side stand haha.
Mine had been cut down and a device inserted into the tube to make it "adjustable". I have no idea how much of the original was removed. After I bought the bike I welded a larger "foot" onto the stand to prevent it from sinking into soft ground.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Was able to get the front lowered tonight and used a Ninja 650 side stand that is now the perfect height. Lowering the front to match the rear completely transformed the handling, no more vagueness or slow steering, this thing now corners like a super sport
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Was able to get the front lowered tonight and used a Ninja 650 side stand that is now the perfect height. Lowering the front to match the rear completely transformed the handling, no more vagueness or slow steering, this thing now corners like a super sport
Did you need to modify the ninja stand? The part number is the same for the 650 Ninja and the 650 Versys, what part number did you get? Any Photos?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Did you need to modify the ninja stand? The part number is the same for the 650 Ninja and the 650 Versys, what part number did you get? Any Photos?
The Ninja 650 stand fit with no modification, and is the perfect height for the lowered bike. The stand I bought off ebay came off a 2012 Ninja 650 and is identical to the 1st gen Versys stand except for length. I don't know the exact part number. The front was easy to lower, borrowed a friend's garage and we used straps attached to a beam in his garage to hold up the front end, my friend said the front of the Versys was easier to lower than his own bike which is one of those 250cc Chinese ADV bikes that he needed to drop the front of when he switched from 90/10 tires to 50/50 tires. I'll try to get some pictures, but for the most part it looks identical to the stock V 650 stand other than length, and the fork tubes now stick out about 1.25 inches from the top clamp, but nothing touches, it is clear that Kawasaki designed the fork tubes to be able to be lowered without issue.
onewizard and NightRider like this.

Last edited by mrvwbug; 09-21-2017 at 10:39 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:17 AM

While we're on the topic of the Motowerks lowering kit , I have a question about fitment on an '07 with a full arrow system. I know the clearance is tight without a lowering kit, how is it with it?

Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode