SW Motech cash bar install! >:-O - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW Motech cash bar install! >:-O

Crappy installation instructions aside, this install SUCKED. it seemed way more complicated then it should have been.

Two pieces of advice to others:

1: remove all plastic fairings FIRST, top and middle. Also remove the front chain guard plastic piece.

2: BEFORE tightening down the front mount point on the right side, re-attach the middle(silver) fairing. Otherwise you will have to bend it a little to get it back in place after tightening the front mount point.

I think that's it. Anyone else have a similar experience?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<----- Check Out My Blog!!!

2006 Ninja 500 - Bone Stock & Beautiful
2008 Versys - Farkled To The Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:57 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Yes, they look great and I get my highway pegs today to install tonight. That was the motivation to get the bars really. I have a long trip coming(800ish miles) and after a day long, 300 mile trip my knees were killing me from not being able to stretch out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<----- Check Out My Blog!!!

2006 Ninja 500 - Bone Stock & Beautiful
2008 Versys - Farkled To The Max

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 AM
djg

I thought it was pretty easy. Some of the plastic that they said to remove, I just bent out of the way. The u bolt and plastic wrap upper rear mount is just cheesy, though, IMHO. 2009, YMMV.

I read threads here occasionally of people having all sorts of problems with this install. Not my experience.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06EXTN View Post
Crappy installation instructions aside, this install SUCKED. it seemed way more complicated then it should have been.

Two pieces of advice to others:

1: remove all plastic fairings FIRST, top and middle. Also remove the front chain guard plastic piece.

2: BEFORE tightening down the front mount point on the right side, re-attach the middle(silver) fairing. Otherwise you will have to bend it a little to get it back in place after tightening the front mount point.

I think that's it. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Was there suppose to be instructions? All that came with mine was a sheet with a picture diagram and a parts list.. I will admit it wasn't a hard task though and I didn't remove any plastic.. I took the small hex bolts out of the lower radiator cowling and they moved enough out of the way that it was a breeze. It was an easy install, I just looked at the pictures close, looked at the mounting points on the bike, and slapped them on.. No vibes and they seem solid..

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 AM
VOz

I found the install ok, time consuming and tough work but ok in the end.

I found putting on the SW Motech Engine Guard a lot harder.

Also just fitted the SW Motech rear pannier racks, that was also a bit time consuming but it moved pretty quickly after the blinker relocation.

All SW Motech instructions are available as downloadable PDF files on the SW Motech page for each product under the Additional Information tab.

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:03 AM

easy to install.
good install pictorial on twisted throttle's site,
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:22 PM

I just installed the Givi engine guards, and it was easier once I stopped referring to the included instructions, and just figured it out on my own.

2009 Versys. It blue.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I don't remember it being a big deal...The alien instructions aren't to difficult to follow. I don't remember taking plastic off....Maybe the '10+ models are different.

I can say they work!

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
...I can say they work!
So can I!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Unfortunately mine have been tested as well
Glad I spent the money
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 PM

only issue I had with mine was installing the wrong bolts on the front and jacking up the pieces on the engine that the nuts lock into, had to wedge a flathead in there to keep the nut from turning. Otherwise, it wasn't too bad. Oh, and the bolt that runs from side to side is a little odd to figure out.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM

pegs

06extn. just wondering what pegs you mounted and where you got them. I have the sw bars and am having a hard time finding peg mounts to fit 7/8 bars.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM

Did anyone happen to post a video or pictorial install? I'm ordering mine now, and if I can't find a video of the install, I might just make one (I'll edit it to show the right way once I figure out what that is...).
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Somewhere on the forum I started a thread on a potential hazard with the bolt that runs through the frame. Make sure it clears the cabling.

A tip from my second install is that the U bolts need to be loosely attached in order to align the above long bolt with the crash bars. You need to hold the nut with a spanner on one side of the bike while you tighten the bolt with your socket set on the other. A second person makes tightening this bolt easier but you can lean over the bike and hold both tools at once.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 PM

+1 on a second person. Redline helped me with my install and his assistance was enormously helpful.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 PM

I did my SW bars on my 2009 in about 90 minutes by myself. No big deal. Been pondering highway pegs.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode