New Sportbike Front End - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Sportbike Front End

Does anybody know of a sportbike front end that will bolt directly to the Versys? Either with new triple trees or forks that will slide into the V's triples?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Does anybody know of a sportbike front end that will bolt directly to the Versys? Either with new triple trees or forks that will slide into the V's triples?
Previously posted by andrewhtf:

A friend of mine who rides a 2010 er6n fully converted the front end by utilising a pair of 2004 zx10r forks, a z1000 top triple and our versys lower triple (hole bored an extra 2mm to accommodate the forks). There he gets a supersport front end with radial calipers. Re-used the wheel and brake disc as it fits and requires no replacing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 AM

As posted above. However that would mean your front end is lowered with lesser fork travel compared to a normal versys. You'll need to consider installing a rear shock lowering kit too.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

If the lower triple fits the ZX10's forks the top should as well unless they use a tapered fork upper. Is this the case?
I'm considering this as it just might be the less expensive way to go to improve both handling and braking. The Versys has enough power for most of my needs. A better suspension wins out over power when the road gets twisty. I have more powerful bikes if the need should arise.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Assuming you can solve the fit issues, lowering the front end by a few inches and not doing a similar mod at the rear is going to upset the steering geometry and reduce trail. This will provide quicker steering but reduce directional stability, you may even need a steering stabilizer as the V is already a quick turning bike. If you lower both ends by a few inches you may be into ground clearance issues when you lean the bike to turn.

IMO a better alternative would be to retro fit a spring/damping kit in the existing forks from Race-tech or similar.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-05-2012 at 02:42 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Assuming you can solve the fit issues, lowering the front end by a few inches and not doing a similar mod at the rear is going to upset the steering geometry and reduce trail. This will provide quicker steering but reduce directional stability, you may even need a steering stabilizer as the V is already a quick turning bike. If you lower both ends by a few inches you may be into ground clearance issues when you lean the bike to turn.

IMO a better alternative would be to retro fit a spring/damping kit in the existing forks from Race-tech or similar.
You are correct sir. I was just wondering. (I have a Triumph sportbike I need to get on the road which would actually be my most cost effective solution).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 PM

Just sharing how it looks after the mod on the er6n

- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Andre, that is a nicely modified bike.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 05:13 AM

do a lot of googling (and search for er-6n's and ninja 650r's and see what they've done to make it work), the main dimensions you'll need to pay attention to if you want to just swap out the forks, is the upper and lower triple tree diameters (the fork is not the same diameter throughout).

You may have to get a matching axle, but if you stick with later year kawi' front ends, chances are you can keep your front wheel.

I would not be surprised if some of the steering stems were interchangeable with other kawi's as well (just keep the triple trees from the donor forks).

you will need to figure out what to do about your handle bars if you change the top triple tree out.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

I guess I'll leave it be untill I need a fork oil change. At that point I'll see what I can do to improve the internals. The main problem is that I forget that I bought a budget commuter and I expect it to perform like a Speed Triple. I can accept 60 HP at the rear wheel which is plenty on twisty mountain roads. Now that I put better tires on the bike I'm noticing the shortcomings of the suspension. Then again, 133bhp never had a problem with it (but I don't have his skills). Like the man (Kevin Cameron) says "If you want a faster bike, become a better rider".
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Like the man (Kevin Cameron) says "If you want a faster bike, become a better rider".
ok i like this.

Up next :
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
I guess I'll leave it be untill I need a fork oil change. At that point I'll see what I can do to improve the internals. The main problem is that I forget that I bought a budget commuter and I expect it to perform like a Speed Triple. I can accept 60 HP at the rear wheel which is plenty on twisty mountain roads. Now that I put better tires on the bike I'm noticing the shortcomings of the suspension. Then again, 133bhp never had a problem with it (but I don't have his skills). Like the man (Kevin Cameron) says "If you want a faster bike, become a better rider".
My front end compliance got a real boost when I changed the fork oil to ATF from WalMart. I started a thread about that (back in Feb or Mar...). It MIGHT also be the oil-level, as I don't know what it WAS, just what it IS! Done "by-the-book"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fork oil.jpg (37.6 KB, 225 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My front end compliance got a real boost when I changed the fork oil to ATF from WalMart. I started a thread about that (back in Feb or Mar...). It MIGHT also be the oil-level, as I don't know what it WAS, just what it IS! Done "by-the-book"!
Eddie, do you remember the title of that post? I searched but could not find it.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Blipco, my friend, try this:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18069

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Thank you Eddie. Sorry for the late reply but my computer has been acting funny (actually not funny at all). I think I solved my problem the easy way. I took my Versys off the road for the time being and put the plate/insurance on my Daytona 955i. How nice it is to have a responsive powerful bike to ride again. The suspension is plush with great road feel. The clip-ons may have to go. We'll see. The Versys will probably be back when the weather gets cooler.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 AM

is there another inner fork tube with a radial calliper mount that will fit
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 AM

Hoghead, i have no idea about which bike's inner tube would fit, but i am thinking that just as long as you can find one that has the same diameter, length is not a problem, right? You can always machine some spacers to compensate for the length...

Up next :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode