You guys would know - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You guys would know

I'm posting in the mod section because I feel I will get the best possible response here. If I'm changing tires, as long as the sizes match, would there be any reason why the front fender will need to be adjusted somehow? I ask because I am ordering scorpion trails, the "successor" to the syncs (if you wanna call them that). The scorpion trails match size ratings, but they also have a "tl' designation at the end. If the tire is considered a 90/10 street tire, why would they confuse us with the spec designation "tl"? does it matter? or are they just being excessive with details on this? does the "tl" designation mean that the treads affect the contour of the tire or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 PM

tl means tubeless
tt means tube type

no difference in size just bead sealing design
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
As long as it's a 120/70 your fender is .

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks scooter, i have never seen a tubeless add the tl in there, i just assumed most of the performance tires were so. and thank you fasteddie thats what i hoped for.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 PM

The Scorpion trails will make a big difference in your ride. Confidence inspiring.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I can't wait, considering pretty much anyone who's jumped from the stocks to pirelli's has posted great reviews, i think the worst of all the old sync reviews at least aknowledged they were much better than the stocks. I gotta admit though, the dunlops kept my dumbhead alive going 2,000 miles with the nail. I wonder if anyone as dumb as me has any experience with tire performance with nails in them, as in, do you think a dunlop holds a nail better than a pirelli, or a bridgestone, etc. I don't think the Motorcycle Safety Foundation would approve of such a thread, but I kind of see it like the whole condom issue. I can't imagine i'm the only one guilty of doing it, so why not discuss it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
No problem fitting the Scorpion Trails. I just did. I would recommend sticking with with stock sizes though to avoid upsetting handling (120/70 & 160/60). I learned playing around with non stock sizes can introduce some handling quirks on a previous motorcycle.

Riding with a nail in a tire can be dangerous if it decides to blow unexpectedly. I had this happen recently with my previous rear, the reason for the scorpion trail replacement. Fortunately I was traveling at slow speed but it could have left me stranded, a fellow forum member saved the day.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-13-2012 at 12:04 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

how many miles did you ride with the nail? did you rub the head off first? mine is just a little pin now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboney View Post
how many miles did you ride with the nail? did you rub the head off first? mine is just a little pin now.
It's pretty much guaranteed to eventually blow on you. Repair or replace it before it does. IMO the only way to repair a tire so it will not blow again is to remove it and patch from the inside, plugs come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode