Update self-mod seat for Air Hawk to work 100%! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Update self-mod seat for Air Hawk to work 100%!

1) Take seat off bike.
2) Stuff hard sleepng mat foam strips through forward hole toward front, tank side of seat.
3) Use a stick or dowl to poke foam strips through the forward hole.
3) Do this until forward slope is level. 90% better!
4) Buy Air Hawk for final 100% confort!





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 06-07-2012 at 01:50 PM.
MTS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Member
 
Morgan2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok Mr. Mullet
I doing this prior to seat concepts or others. Seat is the only thing making this new bike not outstanding. I was worried how much I would miss my C-10 Connie's torque.

Anyway, Didn't you say that the orginal medium 14" x 14" is the best to get for our wonderful Versys seat?.
I just saw another Air Hawk design that is more Bicycleish seat shaped, "the Air Hawk R" which I think is newer and might be better??
http://www.compacc.com/p/Airhawk-Sea...-Cover/1610003

Thanks!

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Morgan2112; 06-14-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Morgan2112 is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Member
 
genehil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mount Dora, FL
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Found this explanation:

The AIRHAWK R is designed with a center gap that runs from the front to the back of the cushion. *The result is NO CONTACT to the:
- Tailbone,
- Prostate, and
- Scrotum
The Airhawk R address the three most sensitive areas for most riders by removing all pressure. *In addition, this inovative cushion has a unique cell design that is designed to improve airflow under the rider and reduce hot seat.*The R Cushion provides all the traditional benefits of other Airhawk cushion plus the added benefits above. *Perfect for riders that have issues with coccyx pain or*prostatitis. *

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
genehil is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan2112 View Post
Ok Mr. Mullet
I doing this prior to seat concepts or others. Seat is the only thing making this new bike not outstanding. I was worried how much I would miss my C-10 Connie's torque.

Anyway, Didn't you say that the orginal medium 14" x 14" is the best to get for our wonderful Versys seat?.
I just saw another Air Hawk design that is more Bicycleish seat shaped, "the Air Hawk R" which I think is newer and might be better??
http://www.compacc.com/p/Airhawk-Sea...-Cover/1610003

Thanks!
Wow! That is new and looks even better if thats posible! The Cruiser Medium was the one I got and it was 14" x14" but I threw away the box. I was about $140.
I just went for a ride yesterday and I can not believe how awesome the Air Hawk is with almost no air in it! The only complaint from guys has been the forward slope so just stuff the hell out of that front part of the seat. From the hole under the seat and you will level the seat. You will love the air hawk which ever one you get! And if not they will refund your money!

When you stuff the heck out of it the back factory foam will lift a little bit. Thats ok because when you sit down on it. It push down back down! You will see what I'm talking about. It works out great!





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 06-14-2012 at 08:39 PM.
MTS is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Member
 
walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winchester, MA
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you're looking for a little less "radical" surgery, I took a piece of 1/2" thick high density foam (from a sleeping pad) and cut it into a parallelogram shape, so that it fit inside the front of the Airhawk medium cruiser cover, underneath the cushion. I used a piece of foam that extended back about 4" and I beveled the trailing edge a little bit so that it smoothly filled in the spot where I normally slide forward into the tank. Works for me on top of the stock seat and like everyone else says.....the Airhawk needs a lot less air than you think it will.
walter is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Member
 
Morgan2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Wow! That is new and looks even better if thats posible! The Cruiser Medium was the one I got and it was 14" x14" but I threw away the box. I was about $140.
I just went for a ride yesterday and I can not believe how awesome the Air Hawk is with almost no air in it! The only complaint from guys has been the forward slope so just stuff the hell out of that front part of the seat. From the hole under the seat and you will level the seat. You will love the air hawk which ever one you get! And if not they will refund your money!

When you stuff the heck out of it the back factory foam will lift a little bit. Thats ok because when you sit down on it. It push down back down! You will see what I'm talking about. It works out great!
Can you tell or maybe show me what and how you stuffed the front section of the stocker?? Thanks!!!

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Morgan2112 is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Member
 
hdatontodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
...cut it into a parallelogram shape...
You don't mean trapezoid, do you?

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hdatontodo is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Member
 
Morgan2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
You don't mean trapezoid, do you?
That makes a little more sense. Kinda wary of stuffing/modding brand-new seat without a nice DIY with pictures. Also are you guys having to re-staple the front cover after fixing the slide forward or am I to stuff under and around stock vinyl cover? I know you said from the hole under the seat. I only remember there being some hole back towards the middle where string/cord come thru and pull/hold down padding. Thanks for all the support Fellas!!!
Hopefully, I will be able to get comfortable by stopping the forward slide and really enjoy me V!

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Morgan2112; 06-15-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Morgan2112 is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan2112 View Post
Can you tell or maybe show me what and how you stuffed the front section of the stocker?? Thanks!!!
I can post photos on monday. I am on my laptop not at home.

I took strips of foam about the width of the hole and about a foot and a half long and just started poking it through the hole towards the front of the seat. I bet I put ten strips like that until it was tight. It pushes the stock foam up which is great, and when you sit on it you don't slide forward. Its takes awhile and is not fun but the pay off is great. If you didn't like it for some reason you could pull all the foam back out with a needle nose pliers. You will like the results and probably put some extra foam in. And be careful not to poke too hard ( With the dowl ) and poke a hole through your seat.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 06-15-2012 at 09:32 AM.
MTS is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Member
 
walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winchester, MA
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
You don't mean trapezoid, do you?
Ummmm, yeah, you're absolutely right....I meant trapezoid....thanks!
walter is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan2112 View Post
That makes a little more sense. Kinda wary of stuffing/modding brand-new seat without a nice DIY with pictures. Also are you guys having to re-staple the front cover after fixing the slide forward or am I to stuff under and around stock vinyl cover? I know you said from the hole under the seat. I only remember there being some hole back towards the middle where string/cord come thru and pull/hold down padding. Thanks for all the support Fellas!!!
Hopefully, I will be able to get comfortable by stopping the forward slide and really enjoy me V!
Well you have to do what you are comfortable doing, but this stuffing is done with out messing around with any staples. You just ad foam to stock seat thats all. Its no big deal.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MTS is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Member
 
Morgan2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Well you have to do what you are comfortable doing, but this stuffing is done with out messing around with any staples. You just ad foam to stock seat thats all. Its no big deal.
OK, so it is the middle hole where the cords tie-off?
First I need to Get 1.5 foot strips of foam and stuff using 10-inch dowel..
Does that sound right??????????????????????????????????Also any suggestions on foam? Since it will be on the bottom I guess old rubber Foam would be allright? Sounds like you put a very large amount in there? That's What SHE said!

If this works I'll grow back my mullet from the late seventies early eighties!!!

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Morgan2112; 06-15-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Morgan2112 is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan2112 View Post
OK, so it is the middle hole where the cords tie-off?
First I need to Get 1.5 foot strips of foam and stuff using 10-inch dowel..
Does that sound right??????????????????????????????????Also any suggestions on foam? Since it will be on the bottom I guess old rubber Foam would be allright? Sounds like you put a very large amount in there? That's What SHE said!

If this works I'll grow back my mullet from the late seventies early eighties!!!
Mullet is getting cut off Wednesday! Mullets not cool anymore as I have been reminded from many riders from this forum! :

Put that foam into the right hole! The one toward the tank! It will work great!





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MTS is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best fit

which air hawk best fits the versys?
broham is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Mullet is getting cut off Wednesday! Mullets not cool anymore as I have been reminded from many riders from this forum! :

Put that foam into the right hole! The one toward the tank! It will work great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broham View Post
which air hawk best fits the versys?
On second thought if you cann't image in your mind what you are trying to do to the seat you are probable better off just ordering a seat!

Broham! I don't know about the new R series which look awesome! I ordered cruiser medium and it fit perfect!





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MTS is offline  
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Its so easy! You can see the blue under the plastic thats the area I stuffed with foam. Stuff it until its level no forward slope! No big deal. Its free too and will make stock seat 90% better!

The Air Hawk is best money spent 100%. Easy on - off!



Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0618122220.jpg (37.5 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg 0618122222.jpg (34.4 KB, 366 views)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 06-18-2012 at 11:46 PM.
MTS is offline  
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Update! Still riding free on any butt pain! Very comfortable! I thought I would only use it for longer rides. Nope!! Its never coming off!





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MTS is offline  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Member
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: western Massachusetts
Posts: 1,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am just back from a 6-day, 2000 mile trip including 720 miles home yesterday (to get ahead of bad storms today). I bought an Airhawk cruiser medium with this long trip in mind. I didn't get the “scrotum cutout” model because it's sold out until next month sometime. I'm 142 pounds and my butt is small and bony, so consider that along with these observations.

Once you get the air pressure right, it's cushy. Cushy, however, is not always what I want. My trip was mostly twisties in rural NY, PA and OH and I could not easily slide across the Airhawk to shift my weight for tight curves at a spirited pace. Even quick weight shifts that involve only moving my buns or thighs were more difficult because the Airhawk bladder responded slowly to changes when your body reapplies weight and pressure in different spots. You can feel some air pockets deflate as other inflate....ssssssss....and it doesn't happen instantly. It made me feel disconnected to the bike.

The Airhawk model with the "scrotum cutout" has to be an improvement because the cruiser medium version I ordered created bothersome pressure against my nuts. That meant I couldn't sit as upright as I prefer, and that made my back sore. While the cutout design may reduce the pressure on your boys, I wonder if it also will make you tend to slide forward. I suspect it will although I don't have personal experience. The cruiser medium must be meant for the more recumbent riding posture of cruiser bikes. Unless you're a eunuch, get the cutout version.

Rubber is an insulator -- a VERY effective one. The Airhawk is hotter than hell on a hot day. I rode on two 95+ days and it was torture. Any advantage offered by air cushioning was obviated by intense sweating in my buns and thighs that even wicking undergarments couldn't handle. That was never an issue with a sheepskin.

Remember gas laws from high school chemistry? I believe the combined gas law applies to an Airhawk. As the temperature of a fixed volume of a gas increases, pressure increases. I started most mornings with temps in the high 50's and as the day got hotter (especially those 90+ days) the Airhawk felt fuller. If you know where the valve is and can futz with it wearing gloves you can bleed a bit of air at a stop light. Since it takes some trial and error to get the pressure just so, I found it annoying to have to make adjustments in relation to temperature. Maybe others won't find the difference significant.

The straps that hold the Airhawk cover to the bike's seat (at least on the ones on the model I ordered) are flimsy. I doubted they'd last when I first opened the box and in fact the front strap ripped at the seam on the left side the first day.

On yesterday’s long distance ride when it wasn’t hot day and where I was mostly just sitting there pounding away 720 miles to get home to my family, the Airhawk treated my buns nicely. FWIW, so does a sheepskin, and a sheepskin keeps you warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot, plus I've been sliding across a sheepskin to shift my weight on different bikes for years.

Airhawks may work for some but the one I ordered is going back.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.


2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Bones is offline  
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
MTS
Member
 
MTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW USA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I am just back from a 6-day, 2000 mile trip including 720 miles home yesterday (to get ahead of bad storms today). I bought an Airhawk cruiser medium with this long trip in mind. I didn't get the “scrotum cutout” model because it's sold out until next month sometime. I'm 142 pounds and my butt is small and bony, so consider that along with these observations.

Once you get the air pressure right, it's cushy. Cushy, however, is not always what I want. My trip was mostly twisties in rural NY, PA and OH and I could not easily slide across the Airhawk to shift my weight for tight curves at a spirited pace. Even quick weight shifts that involve only moving my buns or thighs were more difficult because the Airhawk bladder responded slowly to changes when your body reapplies weight and pressure in different spots. You can feel some air pockets deflate as other inflate....ssssssss....and it doesn't happen instantly. It made me feel disconnected to the bike.

The Airhawk model with the "scrotum cutout" has to be an improvement because the cruiser medium version I ordered created bothersome pressure against my nuts. That meant I couldn't sit as upright as I prefer, and that made my back sore. While the cutout design may reduce the pressure on your boys, I wonder if it also will make you tend to slide forward. I suspect it will although I don't have personal experience. The cruiser medium must be meant for the more recumbent riding posture of cruiser bikes. Unless you're a eunuch, get the cutout version.

Rubber is an insulator -- a VERY effective one. The Airhawk is hotter than hell on a hot day. I rode on two 95+ days and it was torture. Any advantage offered by air cushioning was obviated by intense sweating in my buns and thighs that even wicking undergarments couldn't handle. That was never an issue with a sheepskin.

Remember gas laws from high school chemistry? I believe the combined gas law applies to an Airhawk. As the temperature of a fixed volume of a gas increases, pressure increases. I started most mornings with temps in the high 50's and as the day got hotter (especially those 90+ days) the Airhawk felt fuller. If you know where the valve is and can futz with it wearing gloves you can bleed a bit of air at a stop light. Since it takes some trial and error to get the pressure just so, I found it annoying to have to make adjustments in relation to temperature. Maybe others won't find the difference significant.

The straps that hold the Airhawk cover to the bike's seat (at least on the ones on the model I ordered) are flimsy. I doubted they'd last when I first opened the box and in fact the front strap ripped at the seam on the left side the first day.

On yesterday’s long distance ride when it wasn’t hot day and where I was mostly just sitting there pounding away 720 miles to get home to my family, the Airhawk treated my buns nicely. FWIW, so does a sheepskin, and a sheepskin keeps you warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot, plus I've been sliding across a sheepskin to shift my weight on different bikes for years.

Airhawks may work for some but the one I ordered is going back.
Wow I'd send that damn thing back too, air is not for everyone!!

The dude that said he was putting his sheep skin over the top of the Air Hawk was right!

I have my Air Hawk so low I can feel the seat, but enough air to take all the pressure spots off. It is not for everyone and you have to eliminate the forward slope of the stocker.





To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MTS is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Member
 
jamboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Wow I'd send that damn thing back too, air is not for everyone!!

The dude that said he was putting his sheep skin over the top of the Air Hawk was right!

I have my Air Hawk so low I can feel the seat, but enough air to take all the pressure spots off. It is not for everyone and you have to eliminate the forward slope of the stocker.
I have the Spencer mod and Airhawk R and use it on all 3 of my bikes. I really like it though it makes me look like the old man i am 62YO.

04 Triumph Bonneville 904 SE
08 Suzuki B King
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
Vietnam 1969-1971
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jamboa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome