First/Base Dyno on 08V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First/Base Dyno on 08V

Finally found some dyno time for my Versys. I'm the second owner. It has 6000m on its clock. Its a 2008. The original owner installed a LeoVinci can. db killer/reducer intact. Left everything else stock. I installed a Power Commander V and removed those gawd aweful butterfly valves, and made sure the stock air filter wasn't over oiled. Everything else is intact. Stock spark plugs and haven't checked the valve clearance or monkey'd with anything else.

Ran three Power Commander maps. Zero. Stock muffler and A/F. Two Brothers muffer and stock or aftermarket A/F.

Zero map and Two Brothers map were the best. The Power Commander stock setup map was way off. I thought it would improve over the Zero map, but not so.

The Two Brothers map was a little better on the air fuel ration graph, so I tinkered with it a little, but ran out of time. There's definitely room for improvement, as the torque line shows too many ups and downs for my liking. Both the Zero map and the TwoBros maps had me in consistant 60/61's, with a best of 61.96hp.

I'm looking forward to some head porting. Finishing another Ninja 650 head now. If it turns out like I think, I'm doing the same to the Versys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VersysDyno1.jpg (56.5 KB, 132 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 PM

And that is why I don't buy power comanders. On a stock bike, there is nothing to be gained in the power department. Just bragging rites that it ads to the length of ones mod list.

I will anxiously await your results after porting the head and any other future mods you plan to do.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

I understand your implication, but would hesitate to make the claim.

I wasn't able to test a bone stock bike, so I don't know what HP I started with or what the air/fuel ratio or torque curve looked like. I think the magazines average 57hp. Would a Power Commander have helped a bone stock bike? I personally can't make the claim either way until I get one to test.

Based on what the map looks like one could interpret some of the changes DynoJet may have been making when they made the map for a Stock Setup. My guess is they likely smoothed out any lean spots to meet emissions and may have smoothed out throttle response hesitations and jerkiness caused by the secondary butterflies. I occassionally compare my maps when I'm done to ones that can be downloaded to see how similar they turn out. I might do that if I have the time.

The fact that the Zero map worked so well with the LeoVinci and Valve-ectomy may indicate the stock fueling was indeed less than optimal, hence the creation of a special Stock setup map.

So, from a ridability point of view, a Power Commander or similar unit might be worth the purchase to riders other than perpetual tuners such as myself. Thousands of Factory and Dynojet carb kits were sold to owners with stock airfilters and mufflers in the attempt to smooth out the throttle.

Rideability is subjective and also influenced by many factors.

Thanks for your interest in my further tuning. I was hoping to get the ported head installed on the Ninja this weekend and maybe even dyno it Saturday afternoon, but the owner is moaning about time and not rushing before a June 16 track day. I'm trying to convince him extra ponies at the track day would be a plus. Its not an engine rebuild for chris' sake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode