Red light changers - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Red light changers

I tried searching for existing threads and didn't see one about this topic so hopefully it's not a repeat. I was at a local shop today and they had a little magnetic device for about $15 that is supposed to help motorcycles be recognized by the sensors in the pavement at traffic signals. I've researched and they seem to be legitimate. However, I noticed that the package says it should be mounted as close to the pavement as possible to be effective. Since the V sits a bit higher than the average bike I wondered if it's too high for these to be effective. Anyone on the forum use these or have experience with them? I've got a few stubborn lights in my area and I'd love to not have to wait for cars to come or avoid them to keep from getting stuck. Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
MY .02$:

save YOUR $.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:02 AM

Some states apparently have laws where you can legally run the light if after waiting a reasonable amount of time the light doesn't change.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/12/...under-new-law/

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've got one on my bike and i've only had to run one light in a year and a half that wouldn't change

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 AM

I have one on my Suzuki TU250 and it seems to work fine. I don't have a problem on my Versys. I think it has enough mass to trigger the sensors.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
Some states apparently have laws where you can legally run the light if after waiting a reasonable amount of time the light doesn't change.
Last year Virginia passed similar legislation.

46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 AM

Garage
If you were looking to get this, I would search for "Rare earth magnet" or "neodymium magnet". I found them for around $5 Shiny or in black. Stick them to the muffler or to the lower plastics. The products I looked at for red light changers" are just repackaging magnets.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Last year Virginia passed similar legislation.

46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.

Anyone know if California is similar? I have to turn right and make a U-turn to get out of my neighborhood

I guess I could dig through the vehicle code and find out.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 03:33 PM

I've used these on several bikes, and they do help but not always. For the few times they don't I wait the designated time and proceed with extreme caution.

I've also called the Department of Transportation a few times and worked with them to adjust the sensitivity of their sensors. They seemed happy to do it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Aviator View Post
Anyone know if California is similar? I have to turn right and make a U-turn to get out of my neighborhood

No go in CA. Probably gonna get a ticket
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM

I've got a fairly hefty Neodymium magnet attached to the underside of my oil filter to trap metal fragments (if any) as they pass by... It may be aiding my red-light stops... No clue... But I've had no problems in that area yet.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 PM

I wait a min or two and then run the red. In the very rare instance traffic is an issue you can always get off the bike and press the cross walk button.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 PM

Garage
I run the red lights quite often.

Coming out of my neighborhood there is 2 routes if I want to go East. Both have triggered lights. The "Main" route would require me to turn right and go down about 2 miles, and turn left onto some side streets, then back onto a main rd that merges back with the main route heading east. All together its about 5 miles out of my way.

If I take the back way out of the neighborhood there is another triggered light. If I turn right there, I pass 3 lights that allow U-turns, but they are all triggered as well and I just sit there. Following the rules on that route will add about 8 miles to my route.

Both of those lights are on straight aways, so I just make sure it is clear and go for it.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the thoughts/ advice. Seems the easiest thing to do is wait a reasonable amount of time and run the light when it's safe to do so.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 PM

Tennessee has the same "turn-on-red" laws. Had to use it a couple of times.

But what happens when there is one of those red light traffic cameras?

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanburnham View Post
No go in CA. Probably gonna get a ticket

Thanks, guess it doesn't slow me down too much anyway.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Something not mentioned is that in nearly every state that has a "left turn law," it applies to Induction Loop controlled lights only. Some lights have induction loops on them, but the loops aren't active during specific times of the day when the lights run on a timing circuit instead due to traffic flow.

There are some places where they are doing away with the induction loops altogether for video / IR sensors placed on the light poles to detect vehicle presence. This helps severly reduce pavement degredation from the cutting used to place the induction loops.

If you do have induction loop controlled lights, it's best to place your bike directly over the cut line in the pavement that is in-line with the bike (the left/right sides of the loop). Something important to keep in mind is that induction loop sensors aren't affected by magnets nearly as much as people think. They are giant metal detectors that work off conductivity. (think gold - non magnetic, highly conductive)

Also, about 80% of the crosswalk buttons you see don't actually do anything anymore. They're referred to as placebo buttons. The ones that do function don't affect light timing at all. They're only used to trip the walk/dont walk lights.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM

Call the local DOT and report the light. They usually happy to fix them. If trap in one of those never changing lights do the UPS thing and only do right turns. Unless otherwise stated turning right on a red is legal, it is safer, and usually will get you faster where you want to go.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Aviator View Post

California has chosen a technological solution. A law adopted last year requires that when new traffic-activated signals are installed, they be capable of detecting motorcycles and bicycles.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode