V Fell on it's side?? Time to repair. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
V Fell on it's side?? Time to repair.

Once I dropped me bike on it's side, let it be know it was not willingly, I observed about 1200 US dollars of damage to replace it to a similar like new condition. At the time I was thinking oh crap, and that though lasted about 5 minutes till I photographed the bike in it's fallen condition and scraped my pride up off the ground.

Looking at the scene of the "Collision": I left me V on it's kick stand with the handlebars turned to the left, to warm up, while I finished preping for a ride; which I have done no less than a dozen times. It sat in my driveway at which had a 5% Slope or a 1/4"/Foot of fall which was parellel to the length of the bike. I reached my garage about 25 feet away when I heard the clunk. I turned and saw it on it's side which then shut the engine off.

I observed the following damage consisting mostly of scratches: Footpegs on left side, front forks at black anodizing next to disk brake, engine case, radiator shroud, left body panel, blinker housing, handlebar weight, left miror, bent handlebars and broken clutch lever which if you pay retail is about $1000.00 plus or minus plus labor, tax.

So I began looking at alternates to OEM. I have been taught to not fix anything that is not broken. Of course I justified my TBR exhaust and fuel management as being a "noise maker" so I didn't end up on the front of someone else's vehicle. I have been wanting to customize towards adventure touring. So here I go.

I previously used Protaper bars on my 06 DRZ400S which I really enjoyed, ordered them for the V, 7/8" ATV high in JET Black, through Tucker Rocky, about $70.00 versys $130 for OEM. I can say after a few miles on them, they feel great brought the bars back about a 1/2"+/- and look awesome, I will cut about 3/4" off of both ends to shorten them as they are about 1 1/2" longer on both sides. They do not rub on any body panels but lock to lock are about an inch off of the panels, Note: I have the bars in a stock position.

New bar ends? $50.00 for left side replacement; Instead I ordered KTM black handguards for $60.00, not worried about vibration as the Protapers are thick and absorb vibration very well, discovered on the test ride after installation.

Scratched plastics, for lower plastics I have decided to fill divots and paint matte black to match other black plastic, As others have done on this site.

Scratched engine case, I still uncertain about finish, I'm thinking Line-X or fill and paint to similar color???? Anyone have any ideas.

I have to admit that I have been tempted to powdercoat all the silver on the bike black as I did with my DRZ, but my betterside remembers the 40+ hours of disassembly of the bike and preping it for powdercoat and putting it back together. Still a thought though.

I will be ordering an aftermarket blinker set, looking for LED's that are bright and mount similar to OEM as I still like people to see where I am attempting to go. Any ideas or do you have something installed on your bike you like?

I'm thinking barend mirrors or mirrors that mount to the body as I really like having the handlebars "clear and free" of obstructions.

And for protection so that this doesn't ever happen again! Well, here is the problem I don't like what's on the market. The H&B crash bars are nice but the mounting points are high leaving the bottom of the bike availble for damage and other bars protect the bottom of the bike but not the the upper sides. So I ask has anyone had any custom fabbed bars made? I thinking about using a similar design to the H&B but continuing protection to the front of the bike and possibly tying into a skid plate? This is very preliminary and I have not designed any protection yet. Anyone have any suggestions

I will follow up with photographs as things are installed so keep in touch,

Versysrider26
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 01:13 PM

Sounds like another case of the bad kick stand. That is how I dropped my brand new bike when I frist got it back in May. Before you leave the bike, put your foot behind the kick stand and pull it out. It will come out about an 1 to an 1 1/2 inches more. Then it's set. Not every bike has this problem just a few of us - sounds like your among this select group. Sorry to hear about the damage to your bike.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:37 PM

Does this bike come with a tip-over switch ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Does this bike come with a tip-over switch ?
Yes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 PM

I also have to kick out my stand another inch or so. Sorry to hear about it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 PM

A pickup backed into my V, not hard but it went over. He was a stand up guy and his insurance payed for repairs. $2100!!! I am in the market for all the drop protection I can get. I haven't owned a bike that didn't make it on it's side more than once.
Good luck, let me know how it goes.
Tom
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 PM

I have now dropped my versys in two, near-zero mph situations. I admit that this has hurt my pride a bit. Anyway, both drops resulted in almost no damage to the bike. I have Barkbuster Storm handguards on the bars, and I have Givi E21 side cases. The only actual damage from the drops includes very minor scuffs on the plastic of the handguards and the side cases. Also, after one of the drops I had to bend the rear break lever back out a few millimeters. The guards and cases end up providing very good drop protection.
- B
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Did a "spin-drop" with mine at a T-intersection. I was stopped on the gravel road, preparing to turn onto the asphalt, with the gravel an up-slope to the asphalt. Clutch release with the left hand, throttle with the right, right foot holding the rear brake and left foot planted in the gravel to keep the V upright.

A little too much throttle, too fast on the clutch release, and the bike is spinning around my planted foot before going down. Scratches on the left tank shroud, cracked clear lens on the left front turn signal, scratches on the left side engine case, and a broken clutch lever.

The scratches touch up. The split lens was repaired with super-glue.

For the lever, I cut the broken ball end off and smoothed the ball with a hand grinder; ground down the clutch lever shaft to fit in the ball recess, and fastened it on with Quik-steel. Liked the feel so well after riding it, that I did the front brake lever to match, and then dipped both levers in Plasti-Cote to cover the rework and smooth out the appearance.

A lot cheaper than shorty racing levers, too.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode