Maintenance / Mod Time.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Maintenance / Mod Time....

Howdy Friends,

I just finished the Texas Adventure Ride, including a couple hundred miles of dirt on my Versys, which is approaching 7k miles. So, I'm thinking now would be as good a time as any to do a bit of maintenance and mods. Here are my thoughts:

1) pull the fairings and tank
2) clean the OEM air filter, oil it and stick it back in
3) replace the spark plugs. From what I've read hear, the stock/original ones should be fine, but while it's all open, might as well, right?
4) throttle body sync. I've always wanted to make a glass bottle manometer
5) vacuum line mod. Simple with the bike open
6) I'll look into quieting by vibrating front end as well

And perhaps
7) sub-throttle plate removal? Links to how-to's here seem broken. Step-by-step anywhere? I'm likely to not do this one, unless someone here convinces me otherwise.

I bought this bike about 6 months ago, and haven't done anything but an oil/filter change and exterior farkles. So some of this stuff is more about knowing the current state of things (clean air filter, new plugs, synced throttles) than it is about actually correcting any current problems.

Anything else I should look at or tinker with while she's opened up?

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM

Turbo charger anyone?

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

So, I just completed these steps above, and it's like a totally new bike. I attribute most of the improvement to the throttle sycning. They were pretty far off - nearly drained one of the glass bottles I used in my homemade manometer in 10 seconds or so in idle. Adjustment was easy, and on the third try the pressure was virtually identical.

The air filter was pretty darn dirty, but I don't think it was really affecting performance. Spark plugs looked very good, but I changed them anyway while the tank and air box were off. Did the simple vacuum line mod of just connecting the two throttle sync ports with a single piece of tubing - not connected to the existing line into the left cylinder.

After all that, I went for a 30 minute test ride. Revved a lot easier, 5k felt like 4k and 8k felt like 6k. Decelerating the opening the throttle also didn't backfire like it did from time to time. I didn't change anything with the fairing or dash, but the buzz I had around 3.5k is totally gone. Or, maybe I'm just so much happer at 5k that I'm outside the rattle-zone.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper. If you've not sync'ed is a while (or ever), then do it.

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
So, I just completed these steps above, and it's like a totally new bike. I attribute most of the improvement to the throttle sycning. They were pretty far off - nearly drained one of the glass bottles I used in my homemade manometer in 10 seconds or so in idle. Adjustment was easy, and on the third try the pressure was virtually identical.
What is throttle syncing?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

There are lots of posts here about it, but a high-level description is making both throttle body vacuum levels match, so their air/gas mixtures are the same which makes both cylinders produce the same power. Out of sync makes one cylinder fight the other one, which feels as rough as it sounds.

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode