Has anyone flipped their windscreen? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to demenshea Send a message via Yahoo to demenshea
Question Has anyone flipped their windscreen?

I hear it works better upside down or is someone pulling my leg??

I need to do something as i really got a lot of buffeting on my last journey. It's simply not working.

I could add an aftermarket screen as well, just not sure what would work best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM

I use a Givi in the winter when blocking more wind is good, and flip the stocker in the summer for cleaner airflow and more wind in the jacket vents.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Flipping the windscreen does nothing for airflow, at least as far as making it better. If you're looking for better wind protection, look for a different windscreen. I've had mine flipped far years. I just like the way it looks.

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 04-06-2012 at 01:07 PM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, this was exactly what I was looking to find out. Guess I'll look to a Givi touring screen for a bit better protection, unless you can suggest something better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This might help...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15699

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
Thanks guys, this was exactly what I was looking to find out. Guess I'll look to a Givi touring screen for a bit better protection, unless you can suggest something better.

How tall are you?

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
How tall are you?
5'6"

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM

I tried the flipped screen for a bit, and it didn't do me any good at 6'0". Have you tried running without the screen at all? That's my personal preference if there aren't a lot of freeway miles involved.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
5'6"
Then the Givi should work well for you and it looks really good on the versys. Theres one for sale on ebay at a good price and also theres a powerbronze flip windscreen on ebay you might check out...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM

Garage
I had head buffetting in all 3 stock windshield positions. I flipped the screen and put a couple washers in the lower holes to tip it out just a little more. No more buffetting. My head is fully in the wind, but the helmet slips through the air smoothly. And, it looks way better upside down.

Always trust your cape.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I had head buffetting in all 3 stock windshield positions. I flipped the screen and put a couple washers in the lower holes to tip it out just a little more. No more buffetting. My head is fully in the wind, but the helmet slips through the air smoothly. And, it looks way better upside down.
Would you elaborate somewhat more? Upside down, and in which holes is the windscreen screwed in, and which position did the washers tip the windscreen - did the washers tip it forward (more upright), or did the washers tip it backwards (more horizontal). I apologize if I don't get all of the info from your post, but I am willing to try exactly what you did.

I have tried everything with the stock windscreen, all holes, right side up and up side down.

As of this moment I just returned from a 40 mile ride, and my windscreen has been off the bike for the past 2 weeks. No more buffeting, but I feel the wind - yet it is acceptable for now. Will get better as the temps warm up.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Garage
Sure: the screen is flipped and mounted in its highest position. (too low and the bottom will be in front of the headlight and cause reflection, as it is the bottom edge catches a bit of light) I have 2 plastic washers added to the lower mount holes btween the screen and the brackets to tip the lower edge out (more horizontal) only about 4 mm. I'm 5'8"

Good luck.

Always trust your cape.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Sure: the screen is flipped and mounted in its highest position. (too low and the bottom will be in front of the headlight and cause reflection, as it is the bottom edge catches a bit of light) I have 2 plastic washers added to the lower mount holes btween the screen and the brackets to tip the lower edge out (more horizontal) only about 4 mm. I'm 5'8"

Good luck.
Thanks for the important details... I have tried it this way, but never tipped back more horizontal... we have a common trait of 5' 8" in height. I will definitely give this a go and I expect "a miracle"!! ) Have a great Easter.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM

Flipped and chopped to use the 2 lowest mounting holes gave an improvement but removing the screen and brackets is my favorite so far. Wind on my body is reduced but helmet is totally free . Looks goofy but this is an ugly bike no matter what you do (except to go naked.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 08:27 AM

I just flipped the stock screen, put it in the seconds whales from the up, means lower

Before my opinion, i must say this
For 2 years i had the MRA double screen(versys '08) and the protection was awesome, even with the second little screen down
But beauty is always not enough, so i decided to ''play'' with the looks

Flipping the screen cant give the protection of MRA screen, but is A LOT better than the original position
Today i made several kilometers at high speeds(160-200+) and i can say that it is pretty pretty good for a free ''upgrade''
You can go easily without argying with the wind up to top speed, only the shoulders are out the shield, in confront the MRA

As i am a new father there is no time for me to make big travels, so the very good protection of the MRA is no needed for now
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by After View Post
Flipping the screen cant give the protection of MRA screen, but is A LOT better than the original position
Today i made several kilometers at high speeds(160-200+) and i can say that it is pretty pretty good for a free ''upgrade''
Donna, you've got a Versys now? My, how one falls out of touch!

I put mine upside down a week or two back, and while it doesn't offer any more protection, it seems result in less buffeting around my head. My other Versys has the larger Kawasaki shield, and it's not perfect, but it's better than stock. If I were looking for a big touring screen I'd consider Parabellum. I've had their screen on other bikes, and their customer service is quite good, and the screen worked well for me.

Kurt

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Finally got around to trying it. 2008 Versys, flipped screen. I am 190 cm tall, in american non-metric units, that's "rather tall"

Lowest position: windscreen touches headlight, but very quiet
Lowest position + spacers on lower screws: windscreen does not touch headlight, but is lit brightly at night = glare
Lowest position + spacers on lower screws: no more issues with headlight, but also damn loud + lots of wind pressure on the throat

Also, when running high beams, GLARE GLARE GLARE

You'd have to chop of the (now) lower part of the windscreen to make that work to avoid headlight glare issues, and maybe something horizontal to avoid glare from high beam.

So in general, it's kinda diffuse.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I hear it works better upside down or is someone pulling my leg??

I need to do something as i really got a lot of buffeting on my last journey. It's simply not working.

I could add an aftermarket screen as well, just not sure what would work best.
I would buy an after market wind screen Givi and VStream (09-07 only) are great. The after market touring shields are much, much wider and also taller. One thing to remember is that if you wear a FF helmet you want the wind off your body but not off your helmet. A FF helmet needs to vent to be comfortable. Also the wind only striking the top of a helmet will cause it to buffet. Ideally the wind off the top of the shield should strike the neck.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 PM

As a few others have done, I flipped mine and mounted it as low as possible, plus tilted it down a little with some washers. This puts the wind blast and buffeting below my helmet. It's much smoother and quieter than any other config I've tried, including a couple aftermarket shields.

I cut the "top" (now the bottom) of the shield down to match the curve of the fairing.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonhead View Post
As a few others have done, I flipped mine and mounted it as low as possible, plus tilted it down a little with some washers. This puts the wind blast and buffeting below my helmet. It's much smoother and quieter than any other config I've tried, including a couple aftermarket shields.

I cut the "top" (now the bottom) of the shield down to match the curve of the fairing.

I went the other way drilled another set of holes to mount it higher. I'm 6'2" and its working real good for me.

IMG_1251 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode