Better braking through EBC pads, or SS lines?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Better braking through EBC pads, or SS lines??

Being a 'potential owner' of a Versys, could I get better brake feel and better stopping power from replaceing the OEM pads w/ EBC pads, or changing out the rubber brake lines for stainless steel? I've also heard that flushing the OEM fluid for something stronger helps also. Any thoughts or suggestions in this matter? The braking system on the Versys is one of the three major factors that is keeping me from selling my Multistrada 620 and beomcing a Kawasaki owner.

Skeezix

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 PM

Pfffft... The V's stock breaks outperform any other bike I've owned...
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 PM

I did both and the difference is substantial. I would start with the pads since they're easier and cheaper.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

I believe someone on here swapped out for stainless steel lines, and said there was a substational amount of front end dive; could this be compensated for by playing with the front forks compression/rebound adjustments?

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 PM

That's not really related to the lines or pads, it's more how you ride. The suspension has a good deal of travel, so it does move around a bit more than some sportier bikes. I had added a bit of preload and increased the rebound damping on mine- you would have to tune the suspension to how you want it to ride.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 11:04 PM

Lines give you more force per pull distance by not inflating so much. Pads actually give you more friction per force. Both are worthy.

Neither cause any functional change in the suspension... if the front dives more it's cause you are stopping harder.

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:44 AM

Looking for sources......

I want to do the upgrade, for sure pads, probably lines too. Anyone know where to get pads and lines; part numbers if possible. I understand the EBC pads are the same as those for the Ninja 650r - true? Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 AM

I checked the part numbers last night and you are correct. The V and 650R brakes are the same.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:08 AM

The stock braking system is very good, it just doesn't give sensitive feedback. Braided lines will fix that. Changing the pads without changing the lines will give you more braking without helping the feedback problem, a bad combination IMO.

Start with the lines, you will get the most improvement out of them. The stock pads are quite good. You will discover how well the brakes are on this bike, just by changing lines.

Then when the stock pads need replacing, go ahead and get better performing pads.

As for dive, it has nothing to do with changing brakes or lines. And no, you should not use preload and damping to fix a dive problem, as that is not what these adjustments are designed to do.

To decrease fork dive, you have two options:
- Slightly increase the oil level in the forks. (as little as 1 ounce will make a noticeable improvement)
- Re-spring the forks. (a more expensive solution, but the better of the two)

Preload should be used to set the sag. The sag should be set somewhere in the 35-45mm range depending on how stiff a ride you desire.
Damping then should be adjusted so that the suspension moves up and down over bumps, but does not continue to move up and down after the bump. Most riders set this one by how the ride feels. Some suspension experts shoot for one oscillation after a bump, for a smooth ride, I like mine slightly stiffer than that for exceptional cornering.

FWIW the peload and damping settings from the factory are to high, making the bike ride harsh.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
The stock braking system is very good, it just doesn't give sensitive feedback. Braided lines will fix that. Changing the pads without changing the lines will give you more braking without helping the feedback problem, a bad combination IMO.

Start with the lines, you will get the most improvement out of them. The stock pads are quite good. You will discover how well the brakes are on this bike, just by changing lines.

Then when the stock pads need replacing, go ahead and get better performing pads.

As for dive, it has nothing to do with changing brakes or lines. And no, you should not use preload and damping to fix a dive problem, as that is not what these adjustments are designed to do.

To decrease fork dive, you have two options:
- Slightly increase the oil level in the forks. (as little as 1 ounce will make a noticeable improvement)
- Re-spring the forks. (a more expensive solution, but the better of the two)

Preload should be used to set the sag. The sag should be set somewhere in the 35-45mm range depending on how stiff a ride you desire.
Damping then should be adjusted so that the suspension moves up and down over bumps, but does not continue to move up and down after the bump. Most riders set this one by how the ride feels. Some suspension experts shoot for one oscillation after a bump, for a smooth ride, I like mine slightly stiffer than that for exceptional cornering.

FWIW the peload and damping settings from the factory are to high, making the bike ride harsh.
Can I ask a personal question? How much do you weigh? I find the front suspension a tad harsh on the factory settings too, and I weigh 220lbs. I haven't changed a thing on the bike from stock, other than backing off one notch on the rear preload.

HandKPhil
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handkphil View Post
Can I ask a personal question? How much do you weigh? I find the front suspension a tad harsh on the factory settings too, and I weigh 220lbs. I haven't changed a thing on the bike from stock, other than backing off one notch on the rear preload.
I am the same weight and had left it at the stock settings for most of the summer. A friend of mine with a BWW that is thinking of buying a V, switched bikes for 10 miles or so the other day. He complained about the handling of my V. So on his advice, I stiffened the rear preload to the 2nd to the stiffest setting and a few clicks stiffer on the dampening for the rear. The front was stiffened 2 full turns preload and 1 click on dampening. What a HUGE difference! All along I had come to accept the handling as it was. Even though I thought it should be better. Well it is now! Don't accept the stock settings!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Have pads, source for lines

Got my ebc pads on the way - anybody have a source for lines?
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmbrWlkr View Post
Got my ebc pads on the way - anybody have a source for lines?
type in "versys galfer" in ebay. you'll find em. should run right about 130 for all three brakes.

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handkphil View Post
175 lbs.

But you need to take measurements. And set the preload that way. I set mine with givis installed.

I'm all the way out on the front. And one click from the softest on the rear.

The suspension should feel balanced. It shouldn't feel good on one end and stiff on the other. So even a suspension not set up for your weight will ride better if its either too stiff or too soft on front and back.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Installed SS brake lines and I can really feel the difference in the front. Both have a firmer feel, but the back still locks up pretty easily. It is much easier to modulate the front brake. I may also try better pads. Any suggestions?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 AM

Where'd you fellas get the ss lines from?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 04:03 PM

I got mine here (http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/). Ordered the Ninja 650R lines since they have the same part numbers on the Kawi parts list. I actually put the banjo bolt in the front master cylinder and ran the lines directly to the calipers and removed all of the lines from the front fender.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 PM

Got mine from Blue streak as well Hey Sharrison did your lines fit okay ?? I found mine to be a little tight so I contacted Bluestreak And talked to Tony the owner & he,s going to make me a set thats about 3 " longer . I think the kit was intended for the Nija 650 but the versys has a little longer legs . I have bought a lot from Bluestreak and they a great to deal with
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 AM

They are a bit snug, but they went on ok. There is no slack.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 AM

Would love to see them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
They are a bit snug, but they went on ok. There is no slack.
Can we get a pic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode