help on lowering kit to help my wife please - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
help on lowering kit to help my wife please

I need to ask the expert panel here a question.

Have just sold my wifes Suzuki C50 and she said she would like to ride my versys the odd time but would like it lowered. My Versys has been lowered in past by the previous owner buy putting a ninja 650 shock on.

http://motowerk.auto.officelive.com/Versys.aspx

I clicked on this link and am happy to order from states as it is cheaper than going to local shop but my question will the lowereing kit work with the ninja shock that my bike has and what extra's should i order as NZ is a long way a way and i pay over $30 US just for freight.

Regards Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wonder if Speedy could answer your questions? Try sending him a PM, Phil.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Thought of that after i posted this, have sent speedy a email so will see how it goes.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Good. I bet he knows the answer!! And I bet once Keri rides it lowered to where she feels comfy, she'll love it!!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Her 2008 Suzuki C50 has been sold for $8300.00 and the guy will pick up next sat, bitter/sweet feeling about it from both of us but she was not using it., she is 5'6 and even with my bike already a inch lower she would like it lowered further and thats okay by me.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Sent him a PM and email on his web site but no reply yet, maybe the lower kit does not work on the Ninja shock, maybe speedy on holiday as no reply and i sent off PM on 24 of march. Any one know if lower kit for versys will work on ninja 650 shock?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:21 AM

the bike has more than 1 1/2 ' between the tire and the seat and about 9" between the muffler and the ground , the lowering block only drops it an 1 1/2 if the shock fits now
in the stock cradle then it will fit in the new lowering block.NP
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Speedy has given me a response and hope he don't mind i will copy in his answer and i will not be putting on the lowering kit as due to the ninja shock i have already lowered the front end but would not be able to lower much more at front and that would mean the bike will handle like crap if i put a lowering kit on now, wish the previous owner had got a lowering kit and not put the inferior ninja shock on.

Speedys advice, Hi Kiwi,
The thing is that lowering kit lowers Versys by 47mm and this is as much as I would recommend to lower Versys:
1) Because you need travel for suspension to work properly.
2) There is not enough travel in the front suspension to equalize the bike when you lower the bike with both the kit and the shock ( the bike will be a pain to turn)

Hope that helps,
Speedy
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 AM

Maybe it's Ninja time for your wife as well! The new 650 looks really good and has a host of functional improvements as well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Just a note : not nockin speeds sugjustion . I have a 2011 verseys , lowered it with Moto werks lowering kit and didn't drop the front end . Bike handles amazing on dirt as well as street even at 110 mph. Blowin through all the gears the front end stays on the pavement.
There are adj. on the shock that will drop it another 3/4 inch
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM

I have a 2010 V that has both a Speedy lowering kit as well as HyperPro progressive 30mm lowering springs - front and back. So, the back is lowered 30mm with the HyperPro spring and another 47 mm with Speedy's lowering kit. I also installed the 30mm progressive lowering springs in the front, and raised the forks 20mm to drop the front a total of 50mm. The ride is great, and I've never had even a hint of a problem with anything. Plenty of clearance for road use. Very good ride up to 95 mph (never gone faster). I also removed the OEM foam from the front of the seat and replace it with about 1.5 inches of gel and memory foam that drops the seat about two inches. Seat height is now below 29 inches. BTW I have the rear rider sag at 53mm for my 180 pounds. You could increase the rider sag for a lighter rider, and get the seat even lower.

Hope this helps.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
You could increase the rider sag for a lighter rider, and get the seat even lower.

Hope this helps.
It all helps and appreciate the inputs, told the wife i would adjust the preload and drop the height for her but in saying all that I will still be riding the v more than her so itís all a compromise at the moment. An option could even be a aftermarket seat so any thoughts on that would be appreciatiated.

Hoping that down the track she will want her own bike again and get the riding bug again, she already mentioned she will not get anything as heavy as the C50 again and is impressed with a couple of her girlfriends HD sportsters and how light they are, we started calling them chicksters because of how many girls we know that have one. Her C50 weighted close to 300 KG where as a sportster is 40 to 50 kg lighter, her bike was like parking a truck and for a 800 cc bike was real heavy.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Suggest you find a used stock seat, remove the foam in the front half, lay in two .75 inches of gel plus memory foam to lower the seat by two inches. Then when she rides, use the lower seat. When you ride, use your normal seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode