Extra Fuel - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Motopsycho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extra Fuel

I want to carry either a 2 gallon gas can (rotopax, kolpin, etc) or build a permanent 4 gallon tank on my 2010 Kawasaki Versys. A few questions . . .

Is there anyone on the site that builds custom tanks? I'm a professional mechanic and amateur welder, so I could do most of the work for this except the actual welding of the tank (I can't weld aluminum)

I've dug through internet searches and found ideas on how to carry cans of gas. I built some brackets to mount in place of my passenger foot pegs to hold one gallon tanks, but decided I didn't like them and threw them in the pile of broken dreams. I don't like the small cans that resemble water bottles as they take up a lot of space but don't hold very much.

I'm leaning more towards a 2 gallon rotopax or kolpin setup as I really don't want to punch a hole in my gas tank and add a second fuel pump. If the clubs don't allow "loose" cans, I just might have to bite the bullet and build a tank setup. Also, as you can see, it's already really crowded where I would mount an auxiliary tank. I could possibly add a tank under the tail between the saddle bags, but the bike has over 6" of rear tire travel and there could be a clearance issue. Or I could do two tanks, one on either side, and run a hose off each to some location lower on the bike where the pump could be located.

I think there is a guy on here from Minnesota with a red V that has done this, but I can't find his thread.

I'll post a link to a youtube video of my bike as it sits right now when it finally uploads . . .sheesh youtube is slow lately.

Here are some pictures of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 AM

One page I bookmarked was

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...extended+range

I have a Tourtank that I used to have in the trunk of my prior Harley and I'm considering mounting it in a trunk or rachet-strapping it occassionally to the passenger seat. I bought a steel bung but haven't had it welded on yet.

Tony
(daytime, usually: http://www.tontodonato.com)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Not for nothin' but consider the crashworthiness of that.... it looks like it might take your foot off, and that's a Bad Thing (tm)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Something to consider before you go to the trouble of building a permanent solution is how often you'll need extra gas. If it's just for a couple of rides per year, it probably isn't worth the effort and having all that crap hanging off the bike all the rest of the time. I'm not saying don't do it, just consider whether the payback is worth the effort.

I've done a bunch of long rides and tend to ride a tank until empty. Out West, there are some places where you can find yourself in trouble riding that way, so I strap a 1 gallon Rotopax to the passenger seat for a little extra security. It's shaped nicely so that I can pack stuff on top of it if necessary. I also fuel up sooner when I'm riding around in areas where the availability of gas is suspect. The nice thing about the Rotopax is that if I don't need it, it stays in the garage.

Here it is on my F800.

edit: I looked at your pics again and had the thought that you could mount a Rotopax bracket to the back of your backrest so that the can was vertical on its side, which would give easy access and leave room for your gear bag.

George

Last edited by bicyclist; 02-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
MTS

I agree with Cal and bicyclist! Please don't put that fuel there!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:51 PM

The standard versys tank outlasts my bladder. That means I gotta pull over sometime, meaning that a refill from an external tank is no big deal. If the standard tank were 2 gallons, then I'd consider extending the main tank with plumbing, etc. For now, I just use 30 oz fuel tanks for stoves, fill 'em with regular gas, which both the bike and the stoves burn. Yeah 30 oz per bottle isn't much (1/4 gallon, maybe 12 miles?) but for me this is more about safety and backup than actually extending my running range. The kolpin fuel pack jr looks perfect for a larger capacity but still external solution.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
The standard versys tank outlasts my bladder. That means I gotta pull over sometime, ....
Not the case for me. My last bike, a Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca, had an extra tank on it and I rode from LeMars, IA to Kennebec, SD before putting my feet down. I'm just over that line that separates a normal person from this kinda person . . .

IBA # 49372
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Here is what I ended up with. Also working a backrest into the mix.

Holes in the angle iron way out back are for this pipe which will have a sliding rod inside so I can adjust my backrest. Seamless pipe is hard to find around here.

I used 1/2" black pipe for the slider rods.

IBA # 49372
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

IBA # 49372
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 PM

Lookin good!

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 AM

Nice bit of workmanship there... being a metal worker myself I can appreciate some great skills you have there - well done to you!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 AM
GDI

I was thinking that you would want the backrest to adjust when I saw you making your last backrest. You had it in paint by the time I saw your post, so no use commenting then. I think you're on the right track now.

Here's a pick of the backrest on my Shadow that is now sold.

I used the rack on that bike more than the backrest, but definitely worth the $.

GDI
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Painted the Rotopax bracket flat black for now, DuraCoat will have to wait until winter due to the ridiculous cure time.

IBA # 49372
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Very nice work. I love watching the things guys create here.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

IBA # 49372
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM

or you could have gone with the 30oz bottles and mounts that Twisted Throttle and others carry. 2 30 oz bottles would almost double your range and could be bolted to the backs of your hard case.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
or you could have gone with the 30oz bottles and mounts that Twisted Throttle and others carry. 2 30 oz bottles would almost double your range and could be bolted to the backs of your hard case.
how do you figure that doubles my range when there are 128 oz in one gallon? to double my range I would need 2.5 gallons, or 320 ounces. I would need ten of those bottles not two.
unstable_rider likes this.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode