Lowered V helps seat? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lowered V helps seat?

I installed the Speedies lowering kit on my '09 V and just took it for a test ride. The bike handles great maybe better than before. But what I also noticed is that I could sit at the back of the seat without the sensation of sliding forward. At least not as much as before.

I think this is because the lowering kit lowers the back by about 1 5/8" and you can only lower the front by about 1".

Has anyone else noticed this?

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 PM

Quite honestly, I didn't notice any difference in handling. Most people swear that the handling is worse after the lower, I disagree. I lowered mine about 3 weeks after ownership and the more I rode, the more I noticed I don't slide forward anymore. Not sure why?? Could be the lowering of the bike. It also could be that the seat is not brand new and slick anymore.

Never ever Armour All your seat. I did that on my first motorcycle at 16 years old. I almost wrecked in the first curve.

Oh, check the chain tension. My chain was too tight after the lower. Yours may or may not need adjusting.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Does the lowering kit only lower the rear of the bike? If so, did you lower the front of the bike by sliding the forks up in the triple tree? If not, then you changed the geometry of the bike which would make it ride different than a stock bike.

Since I don't try to sit straight up when I am riding the Versys and keep my legs against the tank for stability to I don't have to put weight on my hands, I don't notice any sliding forward on the seat and in fact think it is in the perfect position for a sport oriented motorcycle.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Since I don't try to sit straight up when I am riding the Versys and keep my legs against the tank for stability to I don't have to put weight on my hands, I don't notice any sliding forward on the seat and in fact think it is in the perfect position for a sport oriented motorcycle.
The sliding forward for me on the new ride was only during braking. I don't do it anymore. Might be I have learned to brace myself or the lowering helped, or maybe a combination of several factors.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Does the lowering kit only lower the rear of the bike? If so, did you lower the front of the bike by sliding the forks up in the triple tree? If not, then you changed the geometry of the bike which would make it ride different than a stock bike.

The lowering kit lowers the rear of the bike about 1.85". On the front there is only about 1" of adjustability so the front gets lowered by 1" and the rear by 1.85". So the angle of the bike (and seat) is changed slightly.

I keep my back straight and lean forward from my hips with my arms bent when I ride in order to keep my back from aching. So I like to sit back as far as I can in the seat. On the short test ride I took this feels better than before. Before it felt like I was wanting to slide forward on the seat.

Brian
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM

For me the lowering kit also gave me the room to do some other things to address seat comfort. I ended up re-sculpting the seat foam to move the seat pocket back.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
For me the lowering kit also gave me the room to do some other things to address seat comfort. I ended up re-sculpting the seat foam to move the seat pocket back.
What exactly did you do to the seat? I was thinking of taking the cover off and punching holes in the foam on the back part to make it compress or when I sit on it. There was a thread about that somewhere on here.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode