Stebel install @ OEM position - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stebel install @ OEM position

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 PM

Did you do anything to beef up the attachment point on the bike? I've seen a few people have that fail due to the added weight of the Stebel.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

x

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Nicely fitted to the bike. Seems like a factory fitted horn. I would have been fooled if I hadn't owned a V. Nice job!

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

x

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing. make sure to service the horn on regular intervals as water will damage the horn.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post

The lower bracket, which the OEM is on doesn't look like it would support much weight. That may be where failures have occurred.
I'm not sure about upper vs lower, however I am sure that my Stebel horn broke the mount where the OEM horn attached to the frame. I assume it was metal fatigue from vibration. Luckily I noticed it while there was still a bit of metal holding it in place. Wouldn't have been much longer before it broke off. From what you're saying you have a better solution...just inspect it every so often to be sure.

I remounted it in the space under the painted tupperware that mounts on the left side of the tank. Used a piece of aluminum stock which I bent in a vise. Had to separate the horns from the compressor, attach the compressor output to the horn input with clear plastic hose, reorient the horns so hey point down (if they point up they get moisture inside and ruin the compressor), and reconnect the horn assembly with a giant zip tie. All of that was easy, and now the horn is protected while still blasting ferociously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

x

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That is a nice install. It fits perfectly in that space, and matches surrounding panels well.

Wolo's Maxi-Sound pair of horns work very well on my car, and have been remarkably reliable and durable. You can get Wolo's Full Blast 116 db high and low horns seperately, or together for $10.95 each plus shipping from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolo-Full-Bl...item5ae4ddc44c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolo-Full-Bl...item56484232ad
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

x

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
AzItLies, Have you ridden that bike yet? Looks like its still on the showroom floor or is there an OCD thing going on.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
hahaha yeah, I know, it's sad...

I gots no seat is the issue Sir, sent it off to Spencer for some mods, it's a long way's between Tucson and Florida

Getting it back tomorrow! wooohoooo

Made my own box to ship it. Amazing how just a little difference can add up money wise. It was only 21 bucks ea way. If the box was just slightly bigger it would have been more than twice that!

Ahhh i see. I've shipped about 6 or more seats last year and USPS is the way to go. From $16.00 to $23.00 on them all over the states.The higher prices had insurance. UPS & Fed-Ex wanted about double.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
To the original poster. I hope only ride when the sun is shining. The instructions on my stebel horns say to not have water on the horns. They even supply a nice little picture. Water will lock up the compressor.

I find that I only use my horns to let someone know they did something I didn't like. If someone is coming into my lane I am usually avoiding first and then letting them know I didn't like what they did.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 AM

Plan to mount a spare already taken apart compact Stebel like Bones mention for the car. It's was just too heavy and the mounting is weak.

Have instead opted for the Bosch compact twin horn with relays.
Decibels might not be as high but still loud

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

x

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 AM

Please let us know how the PIAA installation goes. I spend a few hours trying to mount my Fiam Freeway Blasters (they look like PIAAs but... are maybe a bit larger?) in those same places a few months ago. I fabbed a special bracket to replace the stock mount, etc. I was not successful in making mine fit. So, i gave up, and bought a set of crash bars that I plan to mount my horns to. I will also add highway pegs and maybe lights to the crash bars too. My V is 4 years old now, so I moving toward practicallity for touring instead of looks.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Here is link to my Fiam horns. http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Freeway-Blaster-Horn/dp/B000DINKPQ
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

x

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 AM

That is a nice job and I applaud your patience. Here is another alternative with a less expensive horn from Harbor Freight that I used. Also, I removed the stock horn and was able to use the existing wires to hook up the new horn so there was not a wiring issue. I did add and extension wire of about 12" to compensate for the extra distance of the mounting. It is very loud and will make you jump when you hit the button.

Here is the link to the horn: http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy...orn-94117.html

I was able to mount the horn up behind the left fairing so it is totally out of sight and has some protection from the weather. I attached it with black electrical ties and have had no problem with it coming loose in the last 2 years.

Just an alternative but I think you did an outstanding job.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 02-16-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode