HID install - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HID install

Howdy.

Recently traded an '08 KLR for a new '09 Versys.

When I prepped the KLR for trade, I removed the HID low beam that I had installed a year ago. The reason for this is I looked online and saw that the KLR and Versys used the same bulbs so I knew that I could save a few bucks and use my old HID bulb on the Versys.

The re-install on the Versys went pretty smoothly since I'd done it before. The only snag was finding a good place to mount the cigarette pack sized ballast box under the dash somewhere.

On the KLR, there was a flat spot that I mounted the box to with the supplied double sided tape. No such place existed on the Versys.

In the end, I took advantage of the fact that the ballast box had two tabs on one end and one on the other that could be used to fasten the box down with screws. Instead of screws, I used zip ties.

I put the end with two loops at the top since the loop(s) at the top would hold the weight of the box and zip tied the box between two small parallel frame members behind the headlight. This brought the cords out the bottom, which was fine. The cords were then looped over the top, across behind the light and then back down to plug into the bike wiring harness and installed HID bulb.

Here's a view of the ballast box (which still has residue from the two sided tape used on the KLR) taken from under the right handlebar:

Here's a view from the right side:

And a view from the left side:

You'll notice in the above picture (which is completely installed) that the stock plug is not hooked to the back of the HID bulb. Instead, a single red and black wire exit the rubber boot and make their way to the ballast. The original plug is still used by plugging a pair of spade connectors into the plug for 12V and ground.

FWIW, I bought my HID lights from http://www.carhidkits.com. I bought the smaller "Slim Ballasts" and was glad that I did.

The kit I bought comes with two ballasts, two HID bulbs, two wiring harnesses, etc. Since I wanted to keep my high beam stock (for instant on), I have a spare to install down the road when needed.

The light from the HID lights is very white and bright and I definitely prefer it to stock since I live out of town and commute in before sunrise every morning. I am happy with this HID package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well, if you like this and you are ready for some work, you will like the HID projectors 10 time more

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15364

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Those are great, but they're not for me. A buddy of mine has those and they put out fantastic light on the road, but less so on the sides (seems to have a more narrow focus). I do a lot of driving to/from work out on lonely country roads between 1:00am and 6:00am. My #1 concern is hitting a deer. So I want a very wide beam to allow me to see from fence line to fence line to scope out those dad gummed deer. I also like the ability to easily return my bikes to stock for trade in as I've not been keeping bikes to long lately.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:45 PM

I had HID before ( just the light bulb inside the normal headlight) and I can tell you that now with projector is MUCH wider it's as wide as I can see with my full face helmet.
The beauty is that the light is very uniform all along the road surface. If you are afraid of hitting a deer, this should be your solution.
But I agree, it's a day of work to install it and if you want to return it to the original configuration you have to buy another headlight. I consider that I increased the value of the bike and I don't plan to return it to the original.

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Normal Light.

With HID.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I had HID before ( just the light bulb inside the normal headlight) and I can tell you that now with projector is MUCH wider it's as wide as I can see with my full face helmet.
The beauty is that the light is very uniform all along the road surface. If you are afraid of hitting a deer, this should be your solution.
But I agree, it's a day of work to install it and if you want to return it to the original configuration you have to buy another headlight. I consider that I increased the value of the bike and I don't plan to return it to the original.
What brand did you buy, and where? My friend has them on an older KLR and his are more of a spot light vs a flood light.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 AM

I got it from here:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

Morimoto mini H1
I had no problem until now and even though I have 2 projectors installed, I use just one as it gives a lot of light.
And the cut-off is amazing.

Versys 2015 Green
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:42 PM

I did this to my low beam and like it but am a little reluctant to try it with my high beam. HID lights take about 5 secs or more to come up to full illumination and don't do well with the constant on/off flicking your high beam gets. Another thing I like about it is I feel the bright pure white light stands out more in daytime traffic when it functions as a daytime running light.

Had to tape the ballast connectors together as they had a habit of vibrating loose.

Also there is a slight distortion of the head light focus as the light produced by the HID bulb is not aligned with the reflector housing like it is with a normal bulb. Not a big issue with the low beam but could be much more of an issue with a focused high beam.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I got it from here:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

Morimoto mini H1
I had no problem until now and even though I have 2 projectors installed, I use just one as it gives a lot of light.
And the cut-off is amazing.
The link you provided says these projectors install pretty much effortlessly in an existing reflector housing. Is that true, can you post pictures of your install? Do they just screw into the existing hole in the back of the reflector or is their more work? Did you use the H7 adapter plate? Also is there a way to buy only one light, it looks like they only sell them in pairs for automotive installations.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Also there is a slight distortion of the head light focus as the light produced by the HID bulb is not aligned with the reflector housing like it is with a normal bulb. Not a big issue with the low beam but could be much more of an issue with a focused high beam.

Exactly.
I'm not very satisfied with how the light is projected from either light.

Most people don't put HID for the high beam for the reasons you mentioned.

Seven or eight hours of daylight in the winter and 10-15 in the summer is enough for me not to ride in the night. I have HIDs 'just in case'.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 AM

If anyone else is looking to do this, save yourself some money and go to ddmtuning.com ($40 for a pair, or $25 for a single). I have them in my bike (low) and my truck (low and fog lights) and have not had any issues.

That said anyone interested in splitting a set of projectors, and HID kit for them? I'd like to try it, but don't need two. I will use the bi-xenon for low high, and replace the stock high with my current hid as it won't matter if it takes a few seconds to come up to full brightness. I also have a standard h7 HID I could throw in so you could do the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by camaroz1985; 11-10-2011 at 10:32 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:31 AM

First please read my HOW-TO that I did on installing these bi-xenon projectors:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...5364&highlight

As you see it's not a simple installation, that's because the space in V's headlight is not the same with one found in a car.

I used HID in the V's headlight for a year and the focus is far from a good one.
The projectors are build with this H1 xenon bulb, so the focus is perfect.

The high-beam is instant in bi-xenon projectors. blink and you'll miss it ( the xenon bulb is always on, and a metal plate blocks the light to shine higher. when you press the switch, the plate is instantly removed and you have full high beam in an instant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
The link you provided says these projectors install pretty much effortlessly in an existing reflector housing. Is that true, can you post pictures of your install? Do they just screw into the existing hole in the back of the reflector or is their more work? Did you use the H7 adapter plate? Also is there a way to buy only one light, it looks like they only sell them in pairs for automotive installations.

Versys 2015 Green

Last edited by chid; 11-10-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode