Aux tail lights - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Aux tail lights

As winter moves in most of us will be commuting in the dark. I have the aux lighting up front covered as do some of you other guys but have any of you thought about adding more light out back, either on your topcase or side cases? The V taillight is small but its very bright. I cant help but think more lights might help though.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
After almost getting ran over from behind waiting to make a turn one evening. I bought the Admore Light Kit for my Givi E-55 and also an Admore Light Bar. Had the light bar mounted under the top case at first then move to the license plate area.

IMG_0463 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 PM

Home made light kit using led strips. Panniers have the signal lights wired separately.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
After almost getting ran over from behind waiting to make a turn one evening..............
Thats a very nice setup!

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Thats a very nice setup!

Thanks, got it here.http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/brand...opularity_desc

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:23 PM

When I added the Trax cases, I didn't want to relocate the turn signals. Looked stupid and PITA.

After kicking around the idea of adding aux lights to the cases, I eventually went with the Skene P3 Lights mounted to the license plate. Very nice quality and very bright. They work as marker, signal and brake lights. Options for conspicuity flicker, emergency flasher and volt meter.

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml

Those who hesitate are not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

Last edited by Denk; 10-09-2011 at 02:32 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 AM

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Here is mine:

and there is LED light in the Side case too. lights up when braking.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 AM

These are slick and I had em mounted up in like 20 minutes. Which is impressive if you knew how un-mechanically inclined I was.

http://hyperlites.com/index.html

Its funny now to see how many people stop so far behind me at lights and stop signs! lol

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Just installed the BikeVis light with blinkers. This set is blue light for the front and they have red for the back too.

real good and visible from far.
BIkeVis below/side of spot light.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 AM

, Karuna.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...&postcount=107

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...&postcount=141

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...&postcount=154

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...&postcount=305

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 07:12 AM

Here are mine.

http://flic.kr/p/65fgT7

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 06:53 PM

Did mine last week

I fixed 4 off each of these LED SMD panels. 2 off each in each of the bags from http://www.energyspeed.com/servlet/t...-Panels/Detail Only place on the net I found doing this size

Got them for $2.99 each but P&P to UK was $30 by USPS International (First) but got them within 5 days

and

and then wired the brake light Cct up to a SMIDSY LED Brake light flasher installed under the seat

as per this wiring diagram.

Then I only had to run one wire to each or the Amber LED arrays.
and use the common ground wire.

The BLMED-1FG when wired up in Mode "3", as per this link HERE will hold the Red LED's at a 30% brightness and then when triggered by the brake light switch, turn them up to 100% .

Also The SMiDSY contol box operates the lights as follows:

Upon applying the brakes, the brake LEDs are on at full power for 0.5 seconds. The LED's will then flash rapidly 15 times at 10hz and then remain on at full power until brakes are released.

If the brakes are re-applied within 8 seconds, the LED's will go on at full power until brakes are released again. This is to prevent distracting the vehicle behind in stop/go traffic.

See this Vid on how it turned out

No Video

Total cost just under 55 for all the parts.

Feeling

Richard

at

Last edited by TowerMan; 10-16-2011 at 05:48 AM.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 AM

TowerMan, those look great. How did you attach the LEDs to the cases?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
TowerMan, those look great. How did you attach the LEDs to the cases?
Just used the 3M double sided sticky pad that was already on the back of the LED SMD panel.

Richard

at
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 02:02 PM

Garage
I ride in the dark. I put the admorelighting kit in the V35 bags, and the Denali lights on SW Motech brackets up front.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up installing two wire marker lights on my bags and using a small circuit my wife made up to allow them to function as running lights and brake lights. Here is the video. The lights are from Superbrightleds.com The link is here.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...pecs%2Fmsm.htm

They are about $7 each with wiring harness. My wife will probably be selling the small circuit for $15 a pair (shipped) if there is any interest.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg versysauxtails.JPG (389.3 KB, 144 views)

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 10-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

Looks cool but blue is reserved for police and other emergency vehicles in the states. You would get a quick ticket here for sure. They are very visible though, the police bikes have them and you can see them for what seems like miles away.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:15 PM

I'm a split shifter and have to ride at night. I've added the Admore Lighting to my V35 cases.

Easy install. Wish I had taken the time to add reflective tape to more than just the sides

"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Jerry Garcia
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM

Same idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Home made light kit using led strips. Panniers have the signal lights wired separately.

I did the same idea as you... Went to wallyworld and picked up a strip of super white LEDs (approx $9) and some double sided foam tape, I put them in my top case's brake light location, I then wired both my tail light and top case light to a brake light modulator ($20 off ebay) so they would flash on braking. I the ran a strip of hi viz tape that changes color from red to yellow when light hits it around the case. I also used a 2 pin trailer hitch witing kit (approx $5) so I could quickly disconnect my top case when it isn't needed.

In the front I also have Acerbis dual road gaurds with the optional LED kit wired as turn signals,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0242.jpg (709.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0223.jpg (447.1 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0246.jpg (870.5 KB, 171 views)

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case

Last edited by eldiablo; 10-24-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode