Bar end mounted hand guards, which ones? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bar end mounted hand guards, which ones?

I would like to get some hand guards for a bit of weather protection this winter. With the throttle lock and some other stuff I worry about not having enough space on the bars to mount a more traditional bar mount hand guard so I was looking for some hand guards that mount using only the bar end weight screws. Any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Someone posted up some on here recently. Didn't look like a lot of coverage though. The 2008 and up KLR guards really have good wind protection. Not sure if they can be made to fit the Versys or not.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Do a Forum Search for hand guards. I chose Barkbusters aluminum brace, with Storm plastic covers for wind protection. They have worked very well.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 10:49 PM

I have the acerbis dual road handguards on my versys and am really happy with them. They look great on the bike an aren't intrusive to the controls.
Here are some pics
http://www.stephenwclark.com/p111485...997b#h28d9997b
http://www.stephenwclark.com/p111485...997b#h2d761aa0
http://www.stephenwclark.com/p111485...997b#h3e075668
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 05:29 AM

stephen,

For the Acerbis, does the hand guard installed over the bar end weights or those weights need to come off? Thanks.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:58 PM

I just recently installed these. They are the new ones through Kawasaki.

Dan
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
stephen,

For the Acerbis, does the hand guard installed over the bar end weights or those weights need to come off? Thanks.

I have those just leave the weights on. Motorcycle Superstore has the best price i found with free shipping

IMG_0017 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0018 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0774 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkawboy View Post
I just recently installed these. They are the new ones through Kawasaki.

Dan
Those appear to mount on the bar end and also lower (more in) on the bar correct? They look nice. Do you have a part# and price? Thanks
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 03:26 PM

I removed the bar end weights and mounted the guards directly on the bar. The bike seem to work fine without the weights and the vibration doesnt bother me anymore
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Swimmer,

They do mount also on the bars, they are very rigid & well made.

My local dealer sold them to me for $118 including tax but he gives me a pretty decent discount.

The part number for the handguards/brackets are 217HGS-0007

The shells are #217HGS-0008.

Dan
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Swimmer,

My local dealer sold them to me for $118 including tax but he gives me a pretty decent discount.

Dan
Thanks
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the answers. The Acerbis looks simple enough to install, and if the vibes are not increasing w/o those weights, then it would be a nice to have a narrower handlebars (good for lane splitting)

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. The Acerbis looks simple enough to install, and if the vibes are not increasing w/o those weights, then it would be a nice to have a narrower handlebars (good for lane splitting)
I tried the acerbic hand guards without bar end weights and my KTM Duke mirrors vibrated alot. Much worse than using the same mirrors with thie stock bar ends. You can mount the stock bar ends on the outside of the acerbic hand guards, but you will need to obtain some spacers so that the bar end weights and the outer edge of the acerbic hand guards mount up flush and secure. This works really well.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM

I have the acerbis dual road hand guards, they look great but the protection for your hands is minimal compared to others on the market and don't expect them to help much if you have a crash or even a tip over. I mostly wanted protection from the cold and they really don't have enough coverage for that.

Donn
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

The reason i left the weights on in case of a drop hopefully the wider bars will save some damage. As far as lane splitting not an issue.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Swimmer,

Dan
FWIW, ronayers has these part numbers for $106 and $32 respectively.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:00 PM

I just used some KTM guards without the end weights. No real difference in vibration and they offer decent hand protection ( although they are just plastic ). I think they were about $45 for the pair.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
Do a Forum Search for hand guards. I chose Barkbusters aluminum brace, with Storm plastic covers for wind protection. They have worked very well.
I have these as well. Kind of pricy but well worth it. With the aluminum brace (attaches to at either end to the bar) it is very sturdy and will stand up to a knock down which I am not sure guards only mounted to the bar end will do.

IMO though guards (if they are attached at both ends) do a lot as far as protecting your bike goes and your hands but don't really do much in colder weather to keep your hands warm. Heated gloves are really awesome in cooler weather for this though. Gerbings heated jacket liner and T5 heated gloves that plug into the cuffs are the most awesome cold weather gear you can get - you can ride till the snow comes with setup

Last edited by Sprocket; 08-17-2011 at 04:35 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:38 AM

The acerbis dual road hand guards when mounted to the bar end weight gives you even less protection from the wind as it puts the wider part of the guard further away from you hand. I removed the weight to get the most coverage over my hand.

I think the Barkbusters aluminum brace, with Storm plastic covers for wind protection is the way to go. these would help in the case of a fall or tip over doubt very much the dual road hand guards would protect at all. The Kawasaki ones take second for me only because the say Kawasaki on them. I prefer not to run any Kawasaki logos, keeps people wondering what kind of bike is it? Had one guy say to me, Hey nice BMW!

Donn
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Thumbs up Barkbuster/Storm hand guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
I think the Barkbusters aluminum brace, with Storm plastic covers for wind protection is the way to go. these would help in the case of a fall or tip over doubt very much the dual road hand guards would protect at all.
Donn
That is exactly what I am using on my V. I have the Barkbuster aluminum braces and the Storm plastic hand guards. They fit nicely and provide good weather protection. No need to move your bar controls to get them to fit. They also quell the vibration in the handlebars and mirrors.
Great product in my opinion!

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode