A heated seat discussion... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A heated seat discussion...

Ok gang,I think most of us would agree that the stock seat on the V needs an upgrade..I have not been on forum long and might have missed some great talks about seats...but i would love to hear about and see what are the best V seats out there and why...I am looking at the russell at the moment...(day-long.com) it looks awesome,but pricy...I think some major thought should be put in the saddle if your gonna put in serious miles..ok..so lets hear it!! this otta be good!..this is not about heated seats gang,just comfort...

Last edited by holykaw1; 08-05-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:46 PM

The stock seats just fine; according to my 6'-2", 180lbs frame....even after nine hours of riding (less fuel stops).
Perhaps some might do better to address their need for a weight loss program...Better for there health and not nearly as expensive as a new saddle.
No offense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Garage
Now I am not the kind of guy who puts in "serious miles" like you mention, but I do ride 100 miles to work (and then 100 miles from work) several days a week (and have 17000+ miles on my Versys). I have gotten very used to the stock seat over time. If I am not comfortable, I will stand up for some time while riding (if it is safe). For example, I would not do such a thing on an interstate, more likely right around here (in between Golden - not Colorado - and Madrid - not Spain)...

http://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces...z=360&t=h&z=13

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Aw rats! I thought this was a discussion about heated seats, not a heated discussion about seats.

Ah well, back to my hot water bottle - - and my Corbin saddle which comfortably suits my scrawny "seat" (or can I say butt or ass on this forum?).

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 08-05-2011 at 04:39 PM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Aw rats! I thought this was a discussion about heated seats, not a heated discussion about seats.
I was thinking the same thing!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 PM

What type of oil do you use on your seat? Baby oil, cooking oil?

Having my seat altered by an upholsterer did help but it's certainly not a "day long" seat.

He now has "gel" but that'll cost another 150 or so, on top of the 140 already spent on the first mod. I'm not too anxious to drop another 150.00!

If you go all in on a new seat you have a high level of commitment,
if you drop 20 bucks on a gel pad from wally world and are not pleased, at least you didn't bet the farm.

Hard to know what will suffice for your tail until you've spent a few hours in the saddle. Opinions of others may help your decision but keep in mind, some have no problem with the stocker either.

What makes our butts happiest can only be answered by our own butt!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have heated seats on my Voyager. They are really nice on those cool mornings.

I don't think the Versys has enough electrical power to power the heated grips, heated vest liner, and heated seats.

I get a little sore after 12 hours in the saddle, but I believe the Versys has one of the best stock seats I have ever had.

I might send mine to Spencer for the LD Supracor mod this winter. I hear it is the best value in a seat mod.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Stagehand, your advice is about as useful as telling us to grow a few inches (and if you have to say no offense, it means you're being offensive). The challenge most people have with the stock seat is its forward lean, making many feel like they are sitting on their nuts. This has more to do with height than weight.

I have a Russell for serious miles & it is a must. Completely worth what I paid for it. BUT, it is not an around town seat. It adds height, so if your short like I am it makes parking lot maneuvers tough, if I need to backup I usually have to get off the bike. Also the "wings" of the Russell make your legs move out at a stop increasing the effective height. I bought a used stock seat from another forum member and had that turned into the Russell. I keep the stock seat for use around town.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Talking butt battle!

loner,the sliding forward thing is one of the things i wanna fix..also,im very lucky that my wife really likes the V and wants to ride more...(AWESOME)..and after the sun run she said that her hoohoo was almost asleep and to get us a nicer seat...im like..ok ....lol..
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:47 PM

5'8, 152 pounds soaking wet here...the seat in it's stock form was absolutely brutal for me. As stated above it was the forward lean that was getting me. Did the Spencer mod with supracor and helped tremendously. Went from really needing to get off every hour or so to being able to be in the saddle for a solid 3-4 hours before I was needing a break. The Corbin, Russel, etc is better I'm certain, I just can't drop $500 large into a seat. If you can I'd say go for it

Mike
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Holykaw1, I can not think of a better reason for spending some real cash on a better seat! I still recommend trying to get a second seat for around town, though.

Steve
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holykaw1 View Post
loner,the sliding forward thing is one of the things i wanna fix..also,im very lucky that my wife really likes the V and wants to ride more...(AWESOME)..and after the sun run she said that her hoohoo was almost asleep and to get us a nicer seat...im like..ok ....lol..
DON'T LET THAT HOOHOO FALL ASLEEP!!

Vulcan 1700 Classic

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 AM

The raised front mount mod works, with a 1/8" steel plate and 2 of 25mm (1") long M6x1 bolts and a washer per bolt between plate and stock front seat holder (2 total), plus a washer under bolt heads (another 2 total).

I also glued a layer of foam on top of the stock one, and carved in ergonomicaly shapped dips for tailbone and 'seat bones' while correcting more of the forward downslope.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=339
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat.jpg (468.2 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by invader; 08-06-2011 at 01:15 AM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I might have to try raising the front of the seat to see if I would like not having the forward lean on the seat. For me the forward lean puts me in the sport riding position for the curves. Without the forward lean of the seat it might feel like I am crushing my balls when sport riding. I will give it a try before I decide to do the spencer mod or get a seat.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
The stock seats just fine; according to my 6'-2", 180lbs frame....even after nine hours of riding (less fuel stops).
Perhaps some might do better to address their need for a weight loss program...Better for there health and not nearly as expensive as a new saddle.
No offense.
Well, I am 6' and weigh 180 and workout everyday, and I must say, my backside hurts after a couple of hours of riding. So, I am trying to understand your logic for your diagnosis. I would figure the larger your butt, the more padding there would be.....you can extrapolate from there.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have heated seats on my Voyager. They are really nice on those cool mornings.

I don't think the Versys has enough electrical power to power the heated grips, heated vest liner, and heated seats.

I get a little sore after 12 hours in the saddle, but I believe the Versys has one of the best stock seats I have ever had.

I might send mine to Spencer for the LD Supracor mod this winter. I hear it is the best value in a seat mod.
I have used a full set of Gerbings including socks, pants, jackets and gloves for multiple days of riding and it has not had any negative effects.

YMMV

edited to add topic comment.....Guess I need to lose some weight.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
No offense.
I second that, what he said. also have to give your but some time in the saddle. as for the forward lean and sliding to the front, my bike didn't come with that problem so I have no issues there.

How's it going Carl?

Donn

Last edited by Nytrydr; 08-06-2011 at 10:25 AM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:43 PM

OK....at the risk of getting beat-up again for a sincere comment regarding why some can love the saddle BUTT most seem to hate it.
( and I really meant no offense but....there ya go.)
Please to except my sincere to any I may have offended.

Perhaps the love /hate saddle thing IS more a function of leg length...(I don't have any issue with the sliding thing either)...And position.
My thighs ride/ follow just below the bottom line of the side fairing (resting against the black under-trim) but not touching the fairing finish....and I sub-consciously/automatically hug the tank....which then makes me ponder that this riding posture keeps my butt where it belongs. (thighs closer to being parallel to the road than not and knees tucked into the bodywork).
If my legs wear shorter (I have a 35" inseam) then my legs would be 'straighter' which would affect the amount of natural leverage created by ones posture while in the saddle!?!
If my pegs were lower then perhaps I'd be sliding forward too!
Just a thought.......
One more thing, +++ regarding if your a new rider and your not used to the ergonomics of motorcycling. Get a thousand miles or so (guessing here BTW) under your belt before you pop for an expensive fix. (working yourself up to longer rides...if ya get my meaning).
And Yes, in the beginning...I had a sore butt! BUT, I figured it was nothing more than getting used to everything MOTO..like not riding a bicycle for a few years then getting back in to it (OUCH!!!!) until your 'sit' bones get used to being planted in a tiny racing saddle.
Just sayin'....

(and Howdy there right back at ya there Donn,
I sent you a PM).

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 08-06-2011 at 01:55 PM.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 05:47 PM

With a 35" inseam, Motowerk's footpeg lowering blocks improves comfort greatly as well.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Russell

I just did 300 + miles today on my Russell. Unfortunatley today was my firs long ride of the year. Anyways I could not be happier with the seat. Lots of room to move around and its worth the price of addmission. It does make you sit up higher. I added bar risers after I put the seat on. Im 6' tall and had np problem flat footing it with the stock seat. Now I have to slide all the way forward when at a stop and Im tip toeing it now. All in all im totally satisfied with the Russell. I purchased it from a member on this forum for $400. A steal if you aske me.

2009 Versys Green
2007 Triumph Sprint St
2003 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Honda VFR
1997 Kawasaki ZX9R
1986 Honda VF500 Interceptor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode