Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New tires came in

My new tires came in, my new tires came in........sorry I got excited,

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Tourance rear and... what is that front, Kenda?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Tourance rear and... what is that front, Kenda?
Pirelli MT60

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Anxious to here how you like the combo.

I'm thinking the same thing next time, or maybe a AnakeeII rear.

I'm kind of tired of my rear squaring off after a couple of thousand miles.

The scorp trails are really nice, but the front may as well be a street tire for all the extra grip it provides on dirt.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Got them mounted up tonight. Like the look but the truth will be in the ride tomorrow on the way to work.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 AM

Looks great. That tourance is a helluva tire isn't it?
Do you have a balancer?
I've been thinking about getting one of those static balancers and do mine. I've been just running them with the weights that came on the wheels originally. I can feel some out of balance over about 70.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Hey CJ....pull those old weights off and put a couple ounces of dyna beads in the tire ....problem solved

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Tires feel pretty good on the road. Wants to turn in a little sharper probably because of the smaller rear tire but its not that much different than the OEM tires. There is a slight 4x4 howl at speed on the freeway. Need to hit some trails this weekend.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 AM

I've had that combo for about 2500 miles now and very pleased with it for grip, only problem is that the MT60 on the front will be worn out after about 3000 miles, not enough for me so while the rear will stay I will be looking for a new front.

Silverman
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Tires feel pretty good on the road. Wants to turn in a little sharper probably because of the smaller rear tire but its not that much different than the OEM tires. There is a slight 4x4 howl at speed on the freeway. Need to hit some trails this weekend.
Turn in...my trails do that too but I'm not sure if it's just tire profile or because they are new and feel different from the worn stockers.

Is the howl from the front, rear, or both? One of our euro guys put MT's on both ends and hated them for the howl. Wasn't going to buy them again.

I'm surprised silverman is reporting worn out at 3K. We knew they were short-lived compared to a regular road tire, but I thought I was hearing 4-6K from some riders. They also have a pretty shallow tread depth to begin with. I guess that lends stability to the tread for a speed rated front tire.

The tourance is known to howl a bit. Some say the anakees are worse. Conti trail attacks are said to be quiet, but not as aggressive of a tread. My scorp trails are only slightly noisier than stock. Not noticeable enough to bother though.

I imagine TKC's really howl!!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

The howl is not that bad and I really didn't notice it until 70 mph. As far as the wear I guess I will see how the MT60 holds up. I am sure the rear will push 10k miles. The front probably not so much.

I got about 3000 out of my OEM rear tire, the front lasted till 6000 ish. Of course I go WAY past the wear bars on bike tires. It doesn't rain much here to I have no problems taking street tires down to "may pop" status.

Also I had two plugs in my OEM rear tire and one in the front. I think I ran over a box of screws during my first week of ownership and wasn't about to change out the tires without trying a repair. I used those gooey rope plugs and they lasted until the tires were bald.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Wanted to add that since I installed a 14t front sprocket I really have to watch my throttle when exiting corners now. On a couple of lower speed corners I have spun the rear tire as I roll on the throttle. First time was a surprise, second time was FUN.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Wanted to add that since I installed a 14t front sprocket I really have to watch my throttle when exiting corners now. On a couple of lower speed corners I have spun the rear tire as I roll on the throttle. First time was a surprise, second time was FUN.
Oh? You geared down and everybody else is gearing up. I often thought a better holeshot for an urban street fighter would be a blast. Not so good for distance traveling where you want to maintain 80-90mph speeds. Lower is also better for off pavement, you get a lower crawl speed. Smart!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Oh? You geared down and everybody else is gearing up. I often thought a better holeshot for an urban street fighter would be a blast. Not so good for distance traveling where you want to maintain 80-90mph speeds. Lower is also better for off pavement, you get a lower crawl speed. Smart!
Yeah just my opinion but the bike is geared to high in its OEM configuration.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Dav

Looking great...esp with those stickers
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Well the wife and I jumped on the Versys and rode up to the OHV park to test the tires and gearing in offroad conditions. The bike actually did really well, better than I expected. I will say a 19 inch or larger front tire would be nice though. That little 17 incher just isnt happy in the sand and ruts. The loose sand was probably 4 to 5 inches deep in sections but I just gas-ed her up and blasted through. Sorry for the crappy pics and vid but thats what you get with an iPhone.

I am going to stick with the stock rear sprocket and 14t front. It has plenty of low end power to blast up the hills as you can see in the vid (or not see).

Edit, I guess you are not allowed to embed videos here? Anyway here is a link to the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwCRG...ature=youtu.be

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 08-05-2011 at 12:28 AM.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I keep racking up the miles (commute is 120 miles per day). About 75% twisties and 25% slab for the commute. I am amazed at how well these tires stick on pavement. Total miles is at about 600 on this setup now.

This weekend I am hitting the trails. Keep my eyes peeled for a 19 inch front rim too.

Also, loving this new gearing, its really what the Versys needed and it keeps me above the RPM range where the dreaded buzz resides.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 AM

What do you think about putting an oversize 17"er on the front instead of doing a rim swap? I believe some guys are running a 130/70-17 Metzler Tourance or TKC 80, for example.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
What do you think about putting an oversize 17"er on the front instead of doing a rim swap? I believe some guys are running a 130/70-17 Metzler Tourance or TKC 80, for example.
It's very popular with the adventure-tour guys. The bigger tire is getting pretty close to a 19.

Handling gets heavy, the bike does not turn in, and high speed grip is reduced. A wide tire still pushes like crazy, not like a normal 19" dualsport wheel. Some are willing to accept that trade off.

With some experimentation most find it's not the traction that becomes the limiting factor for off-pavement, but handling and suspension. And weight. If you drop it, which you will if you spend any time on slippery surfaces, it's a bItch to pickup. Damage will ensue.

If you browse the V-Strom forums you find all kinds of them trying to figure out how to adapt a 17" front wheel to their bikes for better cornering.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Handling gets heavy, the bike does not turn in, and high speed grip is reduced. A wide tire still pushes like crazy, not like a normal 19" dualsport wheel. Some are willing to accept that trade off.
Well its probably going to plow anyway so I don't see the point on going to one of those big front tires. If it helped turning in soft dirt or sand I would say go for it but because of the width of the tire the increased diameter may not help much?? I could be wrong and have not tried it so who knows.

As far as riding in soft dirt or sand there seems to be a **** load of weight on the front end of the Versys which is not a good thing. Its hard to crack the throttle and keep the front light. Because of this obviously the bike is more suitable for gravel roads and hard packed dirt (which is fine with me).

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode