Head light modulator works - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smile Head light modulator works

Bought Comagination modulator last winter (http://www.comagination.com/modBulb.htm) and I can assure you it works great. In Quebec drivers have no courtasy with pedestrian, bicycle or motorcycle.
Just to tell you couple weeks ago I was on a secondary road with a bicycle path on my right and going at legal speed of 50km and that stupid woman bypassed me from right side using the bicycle path.
Anyway when ever I drive on a 2 ways road I have noticed when people are sticking out from their driveway or at crossroads with their car the eyecontact is much better. It catches the eye right away when they see flashing light.

I also bought a brake light flasher which I programmed to blink 5 times before it stays on when ever I use the brakes. One of my body has been it in the back by a car at 70KM on a red light so I decided to invest $30 there too.

When I'm riding I always consider I am invisible to others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleblanc View Post
Bought Comagination modulator last winter (http://www.comagination.com/modBulb.htm) and I can assure you it works great. In Quebec drivers have no courtasy with pedestrian, bicycle or motorcycle.
Just to tell you couple weeks ago I was on a secondary road with a bicycle path on my right and going at legal speed of 50km and that stupid woman bypassed me from right side using the bicycle path.
Anyway when ever I drive on a 2 ways road I have noticed when people are sticking out from their driveway or at crossroads with their car the eyecontact is much better. It catches the eye right away when they see flashing light.

I also bought a brake light flasher which I programmed to blink 5 times before it stays on when ever I use the brakes. One of my body has been it in the back by a car at 70KM on a red light so I decided to invest $30 there too.

Some SMART mods, monsieur!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Whatever works for the area you live in. Down here in the southeast US, a flashing light can be mis-interpreted to mean, "I see you and am flashing my light to let you know you can go". People also put on their turn signal because the guy in front of them did even though they have no intention of turning. Definitely have to be familiar with the peculiarities of the area you ride in.

Here Stebel Nautilus Air Horns tend to get the most reaction.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Whatever works for the area you live in. Down here in the southeast US, a flashing light can be mis-interpreted to mean, "I see you and am flashing my light to let you know you can go". People also put on their turn signal because the guy in front of them did even though they have no intention of turning. Definitely have to be familiar with the peculiarities of the area you ride in.

Here Stebel Nautilus Air Horns tend to get the most reaction.
The federal government has seen fit to make modulators legal in all 50 states. The light does NOT flash. It pulsates continuously and never goes out completely. I've used them for years and have never had a problem. I use a yellow bulb in the low beam and a white one in the modulated high beam. People DO see me. And nobody has EVER misinterpreted it. Besides, I've NEVER seen a headlight flash used as a go ahead signal other than truckers who use it to tell an overtaking truck when they're clear to pull back into the right lane.

You got some weird drivers down there in dixie.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
The federal government has seen fit to make modulators legal in all 50 states. The light does NOT flash. It pulsates continuously and never goes out completely. I've used them for years and have never had a problem. I use a yellow bulb in the low beam and a white one in the modulated high beam. People DO see me. And nobody has EVER misinterpreted it. Besides, I've NEVER seen a headlight flash used as a go ahead signal other than truckers who use it to tell an overtaking truck when they're clear to pull back into the right lane.

You got some weird drivers down there in dixie.
I guess the point I was trying to make is to not put too much stock in devices replacing diligence when riding. People pull out in front of Big Rigs, even emergency vehicles with lights and sirens on.

Every state I have lived in has weird driving customs. In New England a driver taking a left from a side street will pull out and block a lane while waiting for the other one to clear. You try that in Florida and you will get run over. In texas you are expected to pull onto the shoulder to let a faster vehicle pass. Some states the drivers will let folks merge onto the interstate, other states you had better be ready to stop. I'm sure you have weird drivers up there in yankee land too.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I guess the point I was trying to make is to not put too much stock in devices replacing diligence when riding. People pull out in front of Big Rigs, even emergency vehicles with lights and sirens on.

Every state I have lived in has weird driving customs. In New England a driver taking a left from a side street will pull out and block a lane while waiting for the other one to clear. You try that in Florida and you will get run over. In texas you are expected to pull onto the shoulder to let a faster vehicle pass. Some states the drivers will let folks merge onto the interstate, other states you had better be ready to stop. I'm sure you have weird drivers up there in yankee land too.
It's not that I rely on a modulator, I don't. But anything that increases my conspicuity is very welcome. Every little bit helps. What I can say is that I've definitely noticed more and earlier when using it. I see less examples of stupidity.

The worst state I've ridden in has to be Florida. People seem to be either blind, deaf, senile, or all of these at once. Guess that comes with being God's Waiting Room.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65

Last edited by ttpete; 07-07-2011 at 06:47 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's not that I rely on a modulator, I don't. But anything that increases my conspicuity is very welcome. Every little bit helps. What I can say is that I'm definitely noticed more and earlier when using it. I see less examples of stupidity.

The worst state I've ridden in has to be Florida. People seem to be either blind, deaf, senile, or all of these at once. Guess that comes with being God's Waiting Room.

No wonder why they're such bad driver in Florida they're all snowbirds coming from Québec.
Trust me I've travelled a lot and Quebecers are really unrespecfull and ''don't care'' drivers compare to many other country I went to.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 PM

Anyone have both the high and low beams modulating together when the switch is in the high beam position?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Anyone have both the high and low beams modulating together when the switch is in the high beam position?
You'd have to use two units, and then you'd have no control over the low beam modulation. The Comagination modulators patch in between the lamp and the harness and have a daylight sensor to turn the modulator off when it gets dark outside.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleblanc View Post

Hi

Which brake light flasher do you use? Is it plug & play?

Eastern Beaver's won't fit the 2007 - 2009

Cheers

BigAussie

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Hi

Cheers

BigAussie
I used the Backoff XP. Simple install, only cut one wire for the install. See here.

I don't believe there are any true plug & play brakelight flashers.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
You'd have to use two units, and then you'd have no control over the low beam modulation. The Comagination modulators patch in between the lamp and the harness and have a daylight sensor to turn the modulator off when it gets dark outside.
I figured it would have to be a dual unit but as you mentioned, wondered how you would be able to control it? Not sure what it would look like having the low beam constantly on and the high beam modulating? Weird I believe.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
there is no need to have the low beam pulsing, high beam is more then enough.
This way you have the choice of using in or not, personnally on highway It is never on, only on secondary road and city riding.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Hi

Cheers

BigAussie
Not you needs to cut 2 wire but it is so easy. you have the link below, this modulator has 36 flashing mode and it is just a small chip board soaked in epoxy so toatlly seaaled. they supply you with connetors bur I personally welded every connection. I lmost bought the ''backoff'' one but found it to big and for 16.00 this one works very good. If ever you are interested I'll take a picture of the installation. it had too douwnload the electrical diagram to figure out which wires I needed to cut then you go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220743509815
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:37 AM

I've been using a Hyper-Lite system that has high intensity LED modules. It's a lot more noticeable than just a flashing stop light.

http://www.hyperlites.com/

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode