seat mod or corbin - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
seat mod or corbin

Went for a 700 km ride last week-end and still can't find confort on the OEM seat.
I've done some modification my self in putting 1'' of soft foam a month ago and still not satisfied, my tailbone hurts so bad. Then few weeks back I've made a V-groove in it.
It is better now but not enough I still feel presure point and need to stop to often.
I am a point of buying a Corbin seat does anyone in here has it and what is you experience with it.

I am 5'-8'' and weight 155lbs

wait for your comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I find the OEM seat to be one of the most comfortable OEM seats I have had. I have read many times that Corbin seats are love it or hate it seats. There are always plenty of used ones for sale because some people just don't find them to be comfortable.

A couple of things I do on longer rides is wear padded bicycle shorts, and have nothing in my back pockets if I am wearing pants with pockets.

I did the www.greatdaytoride.com modification on my Ninja 650R seat and it was a great improvement on that seat without spending an arm and a leg. That medical grade gel is good stuff.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Mod is better than after after market seat as you make it to suit your ride. Cobin may set you back a few $$$$ but not sure that you will like it or you b,,,t may like it.

Best to work on mod and somewhere along the line you will get it. I did mine 3 times before the seat got settled down.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:48 PM

Unhappy Corbin better but??

I have a Corbin that is a whole lot better than modifying the OEM seat, in my opinion. The only caution I would offer is to do a ride-in to Corbin for a custom fit. I see that this is not feasible for you since you are so far away. But my Corbin seat was made for me in a ride-in, and then I returned for some fine tuning adjustments. My seat is two inches taller than the standard Corbin and has dual density foam added over the basic Corbin form. I also altered the leather seat cover pattern and design to a more non-cruiser look. I also had the seating area for the driver/rider widened for added support. Over all it is the best seat I have had on my Versys. I tried enhancing the padding and altering the shape and slope of the OEM with mixed results. I also tried a high end Baldwin. But this current Corbin is the best so far.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleblanc View Post
Went for a 700 km ride last week-end and still can't find confort on the OEM seat.
I've done some modification my self in putting 1'' of soft foam a month ago and still not satisfied, my tailbone hurts so bad. Then few weeks back I've made a V-groove in it.
It is better now but not enough I still feel presure point and need to stop to often.
I am a point of buying a Corbin seat does anyone in here has it and what is you experience with it.

I am 5'-8'' and weight 155lbs

wait for your comments
Get a medium cruiser Airhawk, cheaper than a new seat and many who bought a new seat then tried an Airhawk wish they had tried it before buying a new seat.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Get a medium cruiser Airhawk, cheaper than a new seat and many who bought a new seat then tried an Airhawk wish they had tried it before buying a new seat.
Yep. I have a Corbin, and it's a big improvement over the OEM seat, but recently bought the airhawk pads. The Airhawk extends my comfort zone/time dramatically.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Here's an option. Take a ride down to VT and I'll let you ride on my corbin seat for a little while.

I'm 240 lbs, 6'2" and find the corbin to be more comfortable. It is very firm and some say it's like sitting on a brick. Last Friday I rode 300+ miles and I was much less sore than when I was on the OEM seat for that distance. I recently took the bike in for service and put the OEM seat back on. (if something happened, I'd rather it not happen to the corbin.) The whole way to the dealer I couldn't get comfortable, and I was longing for the corbin.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

Last edited by brothercannon; 07-05-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode