head porting inquery - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
head porting inquery

how many people would like to get into a group buy for head porting??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 AM

I got a question about 'porting and polishing' as it were...
In the old days casting technology was pretty rough so cleaning up the pathways did indeed increase efficiency. But today is there still a benefit to be found???
My limited understanding of all things "eternally combustible" tells me that casting technology now is so advanced that that there is no need to go in and try to make things ...smoother!

Sooooooo...explain please?
...cuz, I'm not very bright but I can lift heavy things!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Cylinder head porting refers to the process of modifying the intake and exhaust ports of an internal combustion engine to improve the quality and quantity of the air flow. Cylinder heads, as manufactured, are usually suboptimal due to design and manufacturing constraints. Porting the heads provides the finely detailed attention required to bring the engine to the highest level of efficiency. More than any other single factor, the porting process is responsible for the high power output of modern engines.

This process can be applied to a standard racing engine to optimize its power output as well as to a production engine to turn it into a racing engine, to enhance its power output for daily use or to alter its power output characteristics to suit a particular application.

Daily human experience with air gives the impression that air is light and nearly non-existent as we move slowly through it. However, an engine running at high speed experiences a totally different substance. In that context, air can be thought of as thick, sticky, elastic, gooey and heavy (see viscosity). Pumping it is a major problem for engines running at speed so head porting helps to alleviate this.

complete write up on porting:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
I got a question about 'porting and polishing' as it were...
In the old days casting technology was pretty rough so cleaning up the pathways did indeed increase efficiency. But today is there still a benefit to be found???
My limited understanding of all things "eternally combustible" tells me that casting technology now is so advanced that that there is no need to go in and try to make things ...smoother!

Sooooooo...explain please?
...cuz, I'm not very bright but I can lift heavy things!
ok let me see if i can get everything...

first off you do not want a perfectly smooth surface it actually creates air drag. go and research why a golf ball is dimpled.

second, when you are looking for max power, which the factory is not(EPA bastards) you need to make your runners larger and make sure you dont have any air drag areas( using dye and a flow bench to find bad areas.

lastly the factories of anything don't build things to perfection. they build them as fast and cheaply as possible.(true with all things).

I hope this helps
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanks to both of you for the education.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Isn't the main cost in porting the labor involved? What mechanic is giving you a group discount on LABOR? I thought the whole point of group buys is that the dealer gets a better price on parts because of buying in quantity.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 AM

Old School meaning of Port and Polish of OEM head

porting = larger valves
polishing = smoothing of passages

&

inquery -> inquiry

Spizzle onizzle up for mizzle wizzle you?

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 07-06-2011 at 03:15 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
Isn't the main cost in porting the labor involved? What mechanic is giving you a group discount on LABOR? I thought the whole point of group buys is that the dealer gets a better price on parts because of buying in quantity.
look its my main guy who does all my port work. the more steady his work is the less he has to charge for labor because there is garuanteed work which means he can pay his bills. same reason it is cheaper to build 100 of something rather than one. do this find out how much ur local shop would charge you and let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode