Michelin Pilot Road 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Michelin Pilot Road 3

Just had a set of the PR-3's put on this morning. I haven't seen any feedback on this forum but have seen good reviews on the U.K.site. Just from the ride home it was such a big differance from the stock tires. Bike feels planted can cut corners as close as you want. just so much better feel with the Michelins. Hope it rains soon so i can see how they are wet.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Just had a set of the PR-3's put on this morning. I haven't seen any feedback on this forum but have seen good reviews on the U.K.site. Just from the ride home it was such a big differance from the stock tires. Bike feels planted can cut corners as close as you want. just so much better feel with the Michelins. Hope it rains soon so i can see how they are wet.

Been looking at the PR-3's myself. Hoping you can post back a few times in this thread as you gain more experience with these tires.
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Been looking at the PR-3's myself. Hoping you can post back a few times in this thread as you gain more experience with these tires.

Will keep you posted. When i first bought the bike thes tock tires were slick as snot for the first few hundred miles. Never felt real confident with the stockers in the wet and hard corners. The Michelins from leaving the shop stick like glue. I was considering the Pirelli Angels and a few different Metzelers but decided on the PR-3's. will get out this weekend and put some milage on them.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am liking these tires, but I am wondering if the siping will develop cupping early on? I can't find anything yet to indicate that they will, but it looks like a weak point in design if there is one. All the reports so far are glowing.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 02:47 AM
Dav

Heads up:
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-g...-3-here-8.html

not sure if this is for real...I mean if it happened to me I'd be much more proactive about getting it sorted/compensation
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav View Post
Heads up:

not sure if this is for real...I mean if it happened to me I'd be much more proactive about getting it sorted/compensation
Fascinating story! ... Just what do you think you're doing, Dav?
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Dav

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Fascinating story! ... Just what do you think you're doing, Dav?
Umm...trying to help. If it's obviously BS (the link) then I was too dumb to spot it first read thru.
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Umm...trying to help. If it's obviously BS (the link) then I was too dumb to spot it first read thru.
LOL! I was just kidding, and quotting the famous line from the computer Hal talking to Dave in "2001, A Space Odyssey"... Sorry David.

It is a very interesting case, that is then seemingly exposed as a complete setup along with the supposed front tire shredding and causing a crash in gf's SUV. Total miles don't add up, similar case with 130+ mph Mustang, etc...

Last edited by invader; 07-01-2011 at 06:22 AM.
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Dav

No probs my Canuck friend, our accents must have got me confused
The whole story seems a little suspect to me but I thought it worth a heads up...I def don't believe Michelin quality control is bad enough to allow a delamination like that, and even more so since the sipes are drawing so much attention from the industry and users alike
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks, Dav.
Think Michelin has good rep. all the while. Do plan to tryout the PR3 when they are available. Cheers.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 AM

I just changed out my first PR3 Rear. I got 4,300 miles of very spirited riding out of it (it was at the wear bars somewhere around 3,800). I liked it. It handled and wore well (i.e., no cupping, etc.)

Iíll be replacing my PR2 Front with a PR3 fairly soon.

If the PR3ís yield roughly the same mileage that I got out of the PR2ís during the same season (temperatures) last year, Iíll stay with the PR3ís. If not..., Iíll go back to the PR2ís as I do VERY little wet riding (the PR3ís apparent advantage over the PR2ís).

The post at http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-g...-3-here-8.html is certainly scary (and I will keep a VERY close eye on my PR3ís as the temps heat up) but read post #139 in the thread before jumping to any conclusions.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 PM

That guy did 10000 miles on a single set of touring sports tires?! I'd be happy with 4000 miles out any touring sports tire.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 PM

I have over 10,000 on my pr2's, but i am not a real aggresive rider.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
I have over 10,000 on my pr2's...
I hate you!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM

Here are some pictures of my pr2's with about 12,000 miles on them.

Back tire

front tire

As you can see by my chicken strips i am not real aggresive, Though it feels like I get more leaning in the corners than my tires show.

post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
I hate you!
Thats okay at least its for a good reason

post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
just got in from an early morning ride and the more i ride the more i like the PR-3's. Heading in from Irvine on the I-5 most of the way on grooved roads. which on the stock tires it always felt like i was surfing on the road which is a feeling i don't like. With the PR-3's very stable traveling down the road or cutting anywhere you want to go "kinda point and shoot" . no break in peroid of scuff up time needed the tires are ready to go once mounted. Still waiting to test them in the wet but thats where they are suspose to shine. So far best tire i've ever had on a street bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Heads up:

That guy's story just doesn't seem to add up, and his tire looks to have suffered from some inflation issues and severe overheating. Some of the other members that posted on their thread also seem pretty far fetched. One guy was stating that he regularly gets over 16,000 miles out of Pilot Powers? I'll admit, I've never run Michelins before now, but I'm lucky if I get much more than 2-3,000 miles out of the Dunlop Q2s that I run on my GSXR. Either these guys ride their bikes like they're in a soap box derby or they're full of it.

I've been running a PR3 on the rear of my Versys for the past ~1700 miles, as I had to replace a catastrophic flat tire on the OEM. I've been very pleased with its performance thus far and it also appears to wear very well. I took it for a ride last weekend with my girlfriend on the back and it stuck like glue while we hustled along the twisties. I'll definitely plan on getting a PR3 for the front once the OEM wears out.

A man can never have too many motorcycles, only not enough garage space.
available here

Last edited by gleite311; 07-07-2011 at 04:38 PM.
post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Still impressed with the PR-3's Been riding city,highway and canyons so far all good..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 08:05 AM

ahhhhh...grooved pavement!!!!! who was the moron that came up with that ????
(clearly those road engineers don't ride bikes)
Played hell with the factory original tires(after about 7grand worth of wear)....scary surfing down the highway.....BUT,
My Conti Road Attack 2's play real nice on grooved pavement new....with 2 grand on... them still terrific.
Time will tell. (but i still hate grooved pavement...and I bet the roads will have a even shorter life expectancy what with salt damage here in michigan).

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode