2011 V exhaust upgrades - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2011 V exhaust upgrades

In looking around I don't see much in the realm of exhaust upgrades (two brothers, arrow, yoshimura) that is specific for the '11's. Is it right to assume that anything for the previous V's will slip on hassle free?

preferably looking for one in carbon with a nice young man rumble to it

Cheers,

B
bflan101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Martinez, CA
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not really an upgrade because all you get is noise and a hotter running motor. Now if that is what you want than all years of Versys will fit the 2011. If you care to cough up another $300 for PC5 you can solve the lean running problem and gain a couple horsepower at 10,000 rpm. No thanks to either.

2004 Hon XR250
2004 Kawi KDX220
2006 Suzi DL1000
2009 Suzi DR650
2011 Kawi 650 Versys
oldturtle is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,235
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflan101 View Post
preferably looking for one in carbon with a nice young man rumble to it

Cheers,

B
You need to by a 1600 CC vtwin if you want a rumble. The Versys is going to sound like a large lawnmower.
twowheeladdict is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Member
 
Motopsycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW Iowa
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You're going to get a lot of "you dang kids and your loud motorcycles!!!" in this thread, instead of helpful advice. If you take picutres of how the stock muffler is mounted, I can tell you if it's any different than my 2010, then you can just order a pipe for an older model and fit it onto your bike.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
Motopsycho is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Baron650's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
You're going to get a lot of "you dang kids and your loud motorcycles!!!" in this thread, instead of helpful advice. If you take picutres of how the stock muffler is mounted, I can tell you if it's any different than my 2010, then you can just order a pipe for an older model and fit it onto your bike.
Don't forget the fist shaking and cane waving!

The Arrow in black is nice, folks seem to like it.
Baron650 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
LV gives the same part number for the '09 and earlier as it does for the '10+, so they should be compatible.

Arrow with the quiet insert in is fine for street use, and the bike runs fine with just that slip-on. I have a full LV system with the QI out and a PC on my track 650R, where the only people around are the people who paid to have their eardrums blasted. It doesn't rumble, it sounds like a sewing machine with an attitude.

Now get off of my lawn.
Roadstergal is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Member
 
Davy F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Many years ago, I had a Yamaha TDM850. I fitted a Devil exhaust (full system) on it and it sounded great, like a V1 flying bomb almost. It was very loud and really annoyed my wife in the mornings as I was leaving for work as it woke the kids up (they were about 4 & 2 at the time). I sold it to a despatch rider as he wanted to make as much noise as possible to alert the dozy drivers of his approach.




However, I've listened to all the video clips on YouTube of the different systems that fit the Versys and I can't say I like any of them. Most sound like a wet fart and nowhere as good as my old TDM did. Maybe it's something to do with how compact the Versys pipe is, I just don't know. But I do know I won't be changing the stock pipe.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Davy F is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I have a full LV system with the QI out and a PC on my track 650R, where the only people around are the people who paid to have their eardrums blasted.
Don't assume that you're safe from the noise police because you're on a track. Many, many tracks now have noise restrictions and I can think of one that was CLOSED because of NOISE.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmlmjmjm is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Don't forget the fist shaking and cane waving!

The Arrow in black is nice, folks seem to like it.
In my day you were lucky even have a muffler.
versysxxx is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
Don't assume that you're safe from the noise police because you're on a track. Many, many tracks now have noise restrictions
Most are pretty generous; I've had no problems with Sears. I have the stocker in case a Laguna day ever becomes affordable. The insertless LV is way too loud for the street, but in the track context, I have one of the quieter bikes out there; the I-4s with straight pipes are the ones that will get the tracks closed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by versysxxx View Post
In my day you were lucky even have a muffler.
We had to make our own mufflers out of old newspapers and catgut. You kids today don't know how good you have it.
Roadstergal is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Member
 
thecreeper77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Union Co. New Jersey.
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflan101 View Post
In looking around I don't see much in the realm of exhaust upgrades (two brothers, arrow, yoshimura) that is specific for the '11's. Is it right to assume that anything for the previous V's will slip on hassle free?

preferably looking for one in carbon with a nice young man rumble to it

Cheers,

B
I would contact the manufacture to see if the previous years models will work on the 11s.

Here is a clip of my two bros w\ arrow headers and Two bros Juice box.

http://youtu.be/S9kaoGRGblw

http://youtu.be/J10VhG1ABAA

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit


1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
thecreeper77 is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Member
 
Baron650's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice TDM Davy! I had one with the Kerkers on it, pretty loud and they needed repacking every year. Finally one cracked and I put the stockers on. I got used to the stealth mode and never went back.
Baron650 is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There's a YouTube clip somewhere of (what I think is) a nice sounding Versys exhaust by Remus....$400.00 + change. OUCH!!

Just not convinced there's enough improvement in sound/tone/horsepower/anything else to invest money in an aftermarket exhaust for this bike.
NDTransplant is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Baron650;157672]Don't forget the fist shaking and cane waving!

Im surprised the Priests of Silence haven't started preaching yet!

A Jardine with the silencer is about 1/3 as loud as a Harley with drag pipes, probably 2/3 with the silencer out. If you want a nice rumble check out some sound clips on youtube, the Jardine and Yoshi were the only ones I liked.
chitownpete is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:18 AM
Member
 
2daMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle View Post
Not really an upgrade because all you get is noise and a hotter running motor. Now if that is what you want than all years of Versys will fit the 2011. If you care to cough up another $300 for PC5 you can solve the lean running problem and gain a couple horsepower at 10,000 rpm. No thanks to either.
Would it still run lean on the 2011 V with O2 sensor? Me thought the ECU will auto adjust if it sense a lean condition versus the programmed mapping. Maybe there's a limit to what the ECU can do....perhaps.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2daMax is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SE Mich.
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
Would it still run lean on the 2011 V with O2 sensor? Me thought the ECU will auto adjust if it sense a lean condition versus the programmed mapping. Maybe there's a limit to what the ECU can do....perhaps.
If you have an O2 sensor, to use a PC5 will require you to use an emulator, which plugs into the harness in place of the O2 sensor and fools the ECU into thinking that no mixture correction is needed.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
ttpete is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Martinez, CA
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
Would it still run lean on the 2011 V with O2 sensor? Me thought the ECU will auto adjust if it sense a lean condition versus the programmed mapping. Maybe there's a limit to what the ECU can do....perhaps.
According to parts fiche for 2010 Versys, the bike does not come stock with an O2 sensor and I believe this applies to the 2011 as well. Stock sensors include water temp, air temp, atmospheric pressure, and vehicle down. Atmospheric pressure sensor can correct fuel mapping for high and low altitude with stock exhaust. A base model PC5 does not require an O2 sensor and can be programmed for exhaust or air filter mods. The PC5 can also be set up with auto tune feature which requires that an O2 sensor be fitted into exhaust and wired into PC5. So I do not believe the Versys has any capability to automatically correct lean condition from exhaust mods.

This is my understanding but to tell the truth, I was wrong once before.

2004 Hon XR250
2004 Kawi KDX220
2006 Suzi DL1000
2009 Suzi DR650
2011 Kawi 650 Versys
oldturtle is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SE Mich.
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle View Post
According to parts fiche for 2010 Versys, the bike does not come stock with an O2 sensor and I believe this applies to the 2011 as well. Stock sensors include water temp, air temp, atmospheric pressure, and vehicle down. Atmospheric pressure sensor can correct fuel mapping for high and low altitude with stock exhaust. A base model PC5 does not require an O2 sensor and can be programmed for exhaust or air filter mods. The PC5 can also be set up with auto tune feature which requires that an O2 sensor be fitted into exhaust and wired into PC5. So I do not believe the Versys has any capability to automatically correct lean condition from exhaust mods.

This is my understanding but to tell the truth, I was wrong once before.
Euro bikes have the O2 sensor. Their euro 3 standards are more restrictive than ours. Poster lives in Malaysia, and I have no idea how his bike is equipped.

I've been running a PC5 with Autotune for 2 years now and like it very much.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65

Last edited by ttpete; 06-18-2011 at 06:29 PM.
ttpete is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Member
 
TowerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Biggar, Scotland.
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflan101 View Post
In looking around I don't see much in the realm of exhaust upgrades (two brothers, arrow, yoshimura) that is specific for the '11's. Is it right to assume that anything for the previous V's will slip on hassle free?

preferably looking for one in carbon with a nice young man rumble to it

Cheers,

B
B

Have a look at the following web site on this link HERE




All the 650R / ER6 exhaust main mounting points are the same as the Versys, so when you scroll down to all the pictures, it should give you an idea on how they will look on any Mk1 and Mk2 V.


PS - The best I think is still the "Bos" and have seen and heard a Mk2 with this fitted








Richard



.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TowerMan is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Member
 
2daMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Euro bikes have the O2 sensor. Their euro 3 standards are more restrictive than ours. Poster lives in Malaysia, and I have no idea how his bike is equipped.

I've been running a PC5 with Autotune for 2 years now and like it very much.
The Malaysian Versys for 2011/2010 do come with a O2 sensor.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2daMax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome