Ok a little help on shifting - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok a little help on shifting

Ok let me start by saying that I do not own a versys yet but may by next weekend. I am a new rider and went to the dealer and sat on one. When standing up both feet are flat on the ground with me standing straight up. There is no spread between my legs. Is this ok or will it be a problem when stopping? Another thing I would like to talk about is shifting. The pegs seem as if they are further back. It could be that its just me being new. Please understand that the only thing I have ridden is the Buell Blast in the Safety course. That bike was way to small for me but I could sit further back in the seat which put the shifting a little in front of me. My issue is that it seemed hard for me to slip my shoe in between the peg and the shifter. What can I do about this if I buy the bike? Thanks for your help. If I can resolve these issues this bike will be in my driveway next weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I cut my gear shift lever and welded an additional 1/4" to its length, which worked well... Many end up lowering the Versys with lowering kit or shorter shock from Ninja 650R/ER6 or aftermarket. You may as well get a Ninja 650R or ER6 instead.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 PM

Garage
A lot of people have bought the Versys as their first bike after riding one (that is often much too small) in an MSF class. I have not heard of anyone saying that using the shifter is a problem. There is some adjustment available in the shifter (look at http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=13212).

I cannot say if this bike is too tall for you. I often stand up at stops, even though I do not have to stand up to flat-foot on both sides of the bike.

I hope that you find the right bike for you. I honestly think that the right bike for a lot of people is the Versys.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:27 PM

Give us your height and inseam measurement and we can make some more specific recommendations.

I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam and the stock Versys (2009) is cramped for me. I put in Speedy's (Motowerks) peg lowering kit and cut the pillion back about 1.25" so I could shift my butt back. Where I had to force my knees to hug the tank before I now naturally am in the right position. I also added padding to the front of the seat to force it to be more neutral and keep my crotch off the tank but that didn't affect riding position that much.

After all that I needed 2" risers and chose to put on new bars for ergonomic reasons (broad shoulders, stockers were NOT comfortable) and it is now a VERY comfortable ride.

The peg lowering kit also fixed the position of the rear brake and shifter for me. IMHO, the stock position of the brake is for a more forward leaning riding position (Ninja) than the more upright position of the Versys.

The Versys makes a good first bike as long as you are willing to take the time to learn the bike. Get out and ride but more importantly find an empty parking lot and work on stopping to learn the brakes and some slow speed handling skills like you did in the MSF course. Take a few yellow tennis balls and cut them in half and they make excellent and very cheap "cones" to work with.

When I took my MSF course the instructor left us with these parting words (more or less):

"Congratulations! You are now qualified to ride a 250cc motorcycle in a parking lot. Your work has just begun. Now go out there and learn how to ride *your* bike."

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for your help. I am 6'-0 with an inseam of 32. My weight is a little factor of 310lbs. I had lap band surgery so my weight is coming off. had surgery at 395lbs so as you can see eventually I will be smaller so I want a bike that will be good across the weight I loose. A lot of my weight is in the stomach area so my gut does touch the tank. If there is a way to move back in the seat may solve my issue. Is there an after market seat I can look at? The suggestions of practicing in a parking lot is noted and respected. This is something i will be doing slowly. I am not a kid as I am 42 and will respect the bike. I took the MSF class very serious and now will take my riding very serious. I already have purchased the proper riding gear and ready to start out in the parking lot.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:34 PM

I'm 320lbs and you will find the Versys has more than enough power...and will just gain power as you drop tonnage. I bought the bike at 345.

I'd definitely recommend you get the Motowerk lowering kit for your pegs. http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx

The easiest way to move the seat back is just to take your stocker and modify it. Very easy and lots of threads here on how to do it.

What I did was grab a piece of chalk and hopped on the bike and shifted around until I felt very comfortable. I then drew a chalk line around my backside. Then pulled staples to pull the cover off back onto the back half of the pillion section and carefully transferred my chalk mark to the foam with a sharpie. Then taking a long serrated bread knife I cut the foam away angled to meet up with the driver portion of the seat at the bottom. I then smoothed and sculpted the pillion section with a fine wire brush (a file card actually). This part is messy so do it outside.

Then staple the cover back on. This will leave some slop in the cover. In my case the experiment was to get my seat built to where I like it then it will go to Baldwin's to be built out properly and recovered so I didn't mind the slack in the cover. http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/

Good luck and happy riding!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
I'm 320lbs and you will find the Versys has more than enough power...and will just gain power as you drop tonnage. I bought the bike at 345.

I'd definitely recommend you get the Motowerk lowering kit for your pegs. http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx

The easiest way to move the seat back is just to take your stocker and modify it. Very easy and lots of threads here on how to do it.

What I did was grab a piece of chalk and hopped on the bike and shifted around until I felt very comfortable. I then drew a chalk line around my backside. Then pulled staples to pull the cover off back onto the back half of the pillion section and carefully transferred my chalk mark to the foam with a sharpie. Then taking a long serrated bread knife I cut the foam away angled to meet up with the driver portion of the seat at the bottom. I then smoothed and sculpted the pillion section with a fine wire brush (a file card actually). This part is messy so do it outside.

Then staple the cover back on. This will leave some slop in the cover. In my case the experiment was to get my seat built to where I like it then it will go to Baldwin's to be built out properly and recovered so I didn't mind the slack in the cover. http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/

Good luck and happy riding!
Thanks for your help. I was just wondering if there will be shops that would put the lowering pegs on for me as I am not comfortable doing so. Does this void warranty issues?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 08:16 PM

Ah heck...putting the lowering pegs on is VERY simple. Takes about 30 minutes and the only tools you need are a screwdriver and a couple wrenches (adjustables will do). Read the instructions at the Motowerk website.

Most folks seem to find that adjusting the brake and shifter to not be necessary but even if you do that is a very simple operation. But if you don't want to do it, I am sure any competent shop could put them on for you. I think mine took me 30 minutes total including testing the pedals to make sure they were where I wanted them.

I am not aware of any warranty issues as this doesn't affect the motor, suspension, etc. If motorcycle manufacturers started pulling warranties for accessories they would quickly find their sales plummenting to zero.

Get the bike and ride it. You'll start to figure out what you need to change real quickly. I knew I needed to lower my pegs within 20 miles and knew I wanted to push the seating area backward within 50 miles after lowering the pegs and experimenting by sliding backward.

This forum is a goldmine of information about these bikes and has some amazing people resources. Feel free to draw from the well.

2009 Kawasaki Versys

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I am 5'11" with 32 inch inseam and am very comfortable on the bike and actually have plenty of leg room. I can ride with my heels on the pegs and be in more of a cruiser stance to riding with just behind my toes on the pegs for a more sporty stance. Way more room on this bike than my Ninja 650 had.

I tried lowering pegs on the Ninja and found that while the knees were more comfortable the butt got sore faster.

So far I would say this bike is the easiest to ride bike I have ever ridden. You can putt around at 3000 RPMs or ride a spirited pace from 6000 to 9000 RPMs. So versatile.

Being your first bike I would definitely recommend getting some type of frame slider / case guard for when you drop the bike. Hand guards would be helpful as well.

Also, never wear boots or shoes with exposed laces. Accident waiting to happen.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
Ah heck...putting the lowering pegs on is VERY simple. Takes about 30 minutes and the only tools you need are a screwdriver and a couple wrenches (adjustables will do). Read the instructions at the Motowerk website.
Pair of pliers AND safety glasse to prevent the spring clip to fly in your eye ...

LOP
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Put your details into this site, might help in some way..........

http://cycle-ergo.com/

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650
2006 Honda CBF 600 - sold
2006 Honda Varardero XL125 - sold
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM

website.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTwins View Post
Put your details into this site, might help in some way..........

I found that site to more entertainment than science. Many of the figures are not placed correctly on the seat nor are the feet placed correctly on the pegs. It does give you a general feel for the difference in ergos between bikes though.

It showed me as having zero lean forward, but I know that is not the case because I sit at the back part of the seat instead of jamming my crotch into the tank like they show on the site.

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 05-31-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode