Pirelli MT60-R tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pirelli MT60-R tires

Okay, so I'm on the market for a pair of dual sport tires so I can try to keep up with the boys and stop squirming all over the roads (gravel/dirt). As I do a lot more on road, the MT60's seem to be about what I'm looking for, so here I am, looking to the board to help me take the plunge.
Has anyone worn a pair of these tires on their stallion long enough to give me an idea of what I can expect in the area of mileage and handling? I've read the online 'store' reviews, but honestly, I'd rather hear it from someone I can trust.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I've got 7,400+ miles on the OEM Dunlops and might expect to go another 2,000 if I can only start wearing the sides a bit better, but who'm I kidding, I'm stuck in KS, where apparently they mapped roads with one goal in mind- go straight and fast.

'09 Greener
Ride on. Ride hard. Respect the bike.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WannaRideVersys; 05-27-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Have you read this thread yet?

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=11080

There are several tire threads here but that seems to be one of the more comprehensive.

Good luck and for goodness sake go find some twisties!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Three of us have purchased the MT-60's for a trip that begins on 6/17. It's going to be a 2000 mile trip with over half of it on forest service roads. After the trip I'll give a report on their performance relative to my regular street tires and the knobbies I ride on my KTM dirt bike. The tires look good (they're in my garage); the tread is 1/4' deep and they feel nice and grippy to the touch. We're not expecting that the rear will give us many miles but wanting something that gives us an acceptable road ride and more confidence off-road that our "dual-sport" tires. I'm looking forward to the test.

Let he who speaks the truth be given a fine horse -- for he will need it to flee.
--Afghan proverb

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

2000 mile moto trip? I can't wait for the ride report. Have fun and be safe.

'09 Greener

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 AM

Can't comment on the longevity of them, but I know they handle very well on and off road. When I was researching tires, I became really interested in them, but the one downfall is the mileage I was reading about in the rear tire. A lot of people have said that the rear only gets 2-3k miles. So what I did on my gf's Versys was to put an MT60 in front, and a Mich Anakee 2 in the rear. It's a solid rear tire and should have a good mileage life.

Some people don't like to mix and match, or stray from stock sizing (the Anakee 2 is a 150/70) but it works out great for us! We even got into some technical stuff and it held it's own.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 AM

There are lots of reports on this tire if you search the net, it's popular with supermoto riders. I have not run this tire personally, opting for the Pirelli Scorpion Trail. I did a lot of research though and posted in the afforementioned thread.

Rider coments I recall:
The tread is very shallow on the front tire to give it a stable grip on tar. It's only midly better for off pavement than regular tire. However it is a soft compound so grip also good for that reason, and due to the light front end of the versys expect decent wear - 3-5K miles. Buell Ulysus riders love this tire. It is the most aggressive tread to be found for the 120/70-17 size.

On the rear, again it's supermoto compound and unfortunately if you are aggressive at all or ride superslab it can go in as little as a couple of thousand miles. Some have reported less - like 1200-1500. And they are not cheap so it just gets ridiculous after you burn a couple.

Due to it's tread design some have said it is quite buzzy on tar, didn't like them at all.

Combo-ing up with a more durable rear is a good option - a rear tourance, anakee, conti attack trail, to name a few.

Other options:
Distanzia - also supermoto compound, same issues as the Pirelli
Tourance - mount a rear on the front but handling suffers and requires a fender mod
Shinko - okay for off pavement and light going. Have known to come apart at high speed and high heat.

If I was looking for best offroad with satisfactory on road I would probably do the same as dejavu mentions, an MT60 front and Anakee2 on the rear. There are some complaints about straightline stability with the A2. Especially with weight at speed it can get a bit squirelly, but top of the heap for wet. A tourance will also work but they are reported to be not as good handling but longer wear. Tourances have been reported to go WAY long miles. Very popular for the super long distance riders.

The adventure type riders have tried and reported on all of these tires, so there's plenty of feedback out there on them.

All that said, I'm way happy with the scorp trails, with about a thousand miles on them, but I don't do much off pavement with my bike. The issue with dirt is not tires, the trails grip plenty good, it's the suspension. If it gets rough at all the bike will just beat you and itself to death. In fact, many have come to the conclusion, as I have, that any street tire with a little more tread than a full roady will work fine for groomed dirt. Unless you start modding the bike for offroad the tires are really kind of a none-issue. Supermoto riders will tell you the same thing - look how fast they go on a supermoto track with full-on road tires and 17" wheels!

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

Last edited by CJBROWN; 05-31-2011 at 11:29 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM

I picked up a pair and intend to try them on an 1800km trip on Canada day weekend.
Will report back too.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 PM

I've got a pair on my versys...they are nice and stable on dirt roads and I feel confident with them. On pavement they are good too, just not as smooth as a full road tire. I have not pushed them in the corners though.

So far, I would get a second pair, but I only have about 400 miles on them.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for your input. I don't do a lot of off road, but enough that I'd like to have something that will grab better than the streets that are on it now.

'09 Greener

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode