two brothers exhaust - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
two brothers exhaust

Does any of you think getting a two brothers exhaust would have any performance gains or just keep it stock...like to hear from you v owners that have that exhaust and what you think of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When I bought my "previously owned" 2008 Versys it had a Two Brothers carbon slip-on already mounted. I was also given the stock exhaust - which is pretty heavy. I decided to store the stock exhaust and see what it was like to live with the Two Brothers. It is a very well-made and good looking product, though it is pretty loud. But, it does make a nice sound, IMO.

As to performance improvements, without making a dyno comparison, seat-of-the-pants comparisons are probably not very reliable. It seems there are those of us who too readily equate performance increases with exhaust noise level increases.

I will also offer that without a Two Brothers Juice Box fuel control module (or other brand) you won't gain the performance improvement that Two Brothers suggest you'll realize. I installed a Juice Box and found that it has compensated nicely for the lean-tuned stock fuel mapping (thank you EPA).

So, what's the bottom line? If you like the looks and sound of the exhaust, and the savings in weight over the stock exhaust, go for it. If you expect impressive performance increases, I suspect you'll be rather disappointed. I also suspect the same holds true for most after market slip-on exhausts.

But, in all fairness, I haven't had a dyno comparison performed. I would very much like to (a local Aprilia shop has a spectacular dyno) when I save enough pennies to be able to afford it.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 PM

I have a tbr can(silencer tip removed), arrow headers and juice box. As I made these add-ons incrementally i noticed improvements little by little. Over all the bike sounds and feels awesome def an improvement over stock.

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rickescazu
Quote:
Originally Posted by redversysman View Post
Does any of you think getting a two brothers exhaust would have any performance gains or just keep it stock...like to hear from you v owners that have that exhaust and what you think of it.
I installed a TB carbon slip on, on my 2011 V about 10 days ago and find that it is a lot louder, now i like that cause my HJC helmet kills most noise. but i also see it revs much faster than before so maybe a result of a straight thru pipe. and of course much less weight and the eye candy effect....

love mine

rick
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 PM

For about 2 years, I've been using an earlier Leo Vince can along with a Dynojet PC-V and an Autotune module that uses a wideband O2 sensor to automatically trim the fuel. This is the way to go. It's true closed-loop operation, and it compensates for altitude. Runs and drives great.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 AM

any slip on will hadd power and drop like 12lbs. but you must tune it after. buy a pcV and autotune and i will give you the afr table.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM

good find.... I dont like the aluminum look though.

heres the link in case the above doesnt work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Two-B...#ht_500wt_1182

I am interested if anyone has tried the P3 silencer and has an opinion on how that sounds.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post

good find.... I dont like the aluminum look though.

heres the link in case the above doesnt work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Two-B...#ht_500wt_1182

I am interested if anyone has tried the P3 silencer and has an opinion on how that sounds.
I had the carbon fiber for about 3 seasons, then some where on the NJ turnpike it fell off. I have the aluminum one now. I did like the way the carbon fiber looked but i couldn't justify paying for a carbon fiber one again. BAMF, next time we have an N.E. outing ill bring the stock tip and you can get an idea of what No tip, Stock Tip and PX1 tip would sound like. (i don't have a PX1 tip but you can sort of imagine how much more quieter it can be.) By the way, I have an idea for an outing

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Two Brothers tips fall off because of the crummy aluminum screws used. They can't be tightened enough. Replace them with proper steel allen screws.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:11 PM

What screws are you talking about? The mounting bolts, or the ones that hold it to the collector (what they call the barrel clamp)?
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versys514 View Post
What screws are you talking about? The mounting bolts, or the ones that hold it to the collector (what they call the barrel clamp)?
The six screws that hold the gray exhaust tip on the rear end of the muffler.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:42 PM

Ah ok, good to know. I was hoping it was something like that, and not the whole damn muffler.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 AM

This is a pretty old thread but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. I just installed the 2 bro's aluminum exhaust last week on an otherwise stock system. I am definitely pleased with it so far. It looks great - even though perhaps I would prefer the look of the CF slip-on I went with the cheapest option, and living on a gravel road I figure the aluminum may hold up a little better, or at least be cheaper to replace. Plus I didn't like the warning that you shouldn't use the CF or titanium slip-on on a dyno as they could burn through without cooling air, whereas the aluminum does not come with that warning. Anyway, I love how it sits on the bike, regardless of material choice. The sound is - impressive. It really is much louder, more so than I expected. It has a much deeper note to it while idling, and as it winds up it really starts to roar - I think I'm going to start wearing ear-plugs on longer rides. That does make me feel good about riding in traffic and all, but I felt a little bad starting it up this morning at 5:40 to go to work - sorry neighbors!
I wasn't expecting to notice any performance gain with just a slip-on, but I did notice a subtle improvement. It seems to wind up a little easier and on my hard accelerations I can feel the front end loft just a bit more than it used to. This seems to be borne out by the dyno charts on 2 bro's site, which show a negligeable increase in peak power, but the power does come on a little sooner. The charts are for a ninja, but still.
Installation was really easy. It took me about an hour all told, with a little help from my brother. The weight difference between the stock and the slip-on is considerable - 9 lbs 2 oz according to 2 bro's site - but feeling the difference tells the whole story. I found the mounting to be simple and easy to do, and it seems like a very sold mounting system. I haven't yet had any problems with the magnesium tip on the end coming loose, but I just installed it. I guess that's something I'll have to periodically check. Anyway, overall I'm very pleased. I think it's a nice starting point for further upgrades such as headers and a fuel management system. Did I mention it's really loud?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:57 PM

I just bought a TB/CF exhaust from a member here. All the stuff I've read is very daunting. I know the pipe is an easy add, but do I really need the Juice Box or something similar, modify the PAIR valve? Lot's to digest, interesting reading. There is so much information to be had, it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I just bought a TB/CF exhaust from a member here. All the stuff I've read is very daunting. I know the pipe is an easy add, but do I really need the Juice Box or something similar, modify the PAIR valve? Lot's to digest, interesting reading. There is so much information to be had, it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.
The Power Commander V is far better than the Juice Box. There are several threads here that will explain it in detail. Use the search function.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 AM

I found something interesting on TBR's site while investigating whether or not the PAIR valve affects a slip-on's packing. This was in their FAQ section:

"Are aftermarket exhaust systems street legal?

No, a common misconception is that some aftermarket systems are legal while others are not. Currently no City, State or Federally approved motorcycle aftermarket exhaust system exists in the U.S. market. Our exhaust systems are for racing purposes only."

I didn't realize that. I have no plans to remove the TBR slip-on regardless, but has anyone run into legal, or emissions/registration issues because of their slip-on?
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 AM

They're kinda picky in Quebec, and will check to see if you have a stock exhaust, or if you've straight piped it too. One guy around Montreal was running a twobros on his Ninja, and got nailed by the po-po, which is why he's selling it. I'm not sure I want to be "worried" every time I see a cop if he's had a bad day and feels like pulling me over.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:00 AM

That's not particularly encouraging. I guess I'll have to coast by cops rather than give them the full brunt of my exhaust note! I hate modifying my behavior out of fear of punishment though - it's such a slave-mentality!
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 AM

It really depends on your state / local cops. They might be really tolerant, and those in more rural areas seem to care less.

On a side note, I've never seen a street legal aftermarket exhaust for a bike - even advertised by the manufacturer, they're always for "racing use" but are targeted to enthusiasts like ourselves. I find it a bit... misleading? That's not quite the right word but why dangle these goodies in front of us, and not let us be able to legally use them?
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:08 PM

Agreed - I mean, a slip-on exhaust is a really common mod on bikes, and even cruiser style bikes often have custom pipes. Speaking of cruisers, I know that the vast majority of them are louder than my bike even with the TBR slip-on. My dad's Honda Shadow 1100 is louder, and there are plenty of even louder Harley's/choppers around, so I can't see my bike drawing too much attention from the police. But I guess that anyone that knows anything about motorcycles will be able to tell that I do have an aftermarket exhaust. Maybe it only comes up if one is already being pulled over for a moving violation or something. I wonder if an insurance company would refuse to reimburse for the cost of a slip-on if it was ridden on the street and wrecked? Oh well, if I experience a wreck bad enough to screw up my exhaust I would be pleased if that were my biggest concern!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode