Therm-O-Bob Installed Today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Therm-O-Bob Installed Today

Took the bike to the dealer for the install. Emailed the pdf file to the service manager last week he was very impress with the unit. Heres a couple photos. I apoligize for the dirty bike just beat a rain storm home.

IMG_0101 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0099 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0097 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nice install.

If you're wondering about a lower rattling sound, looks like someone hung a small bell to your Yoshimura mount's bottom spring.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Nice install.

If you're wondering about a lower rattling sound, looks like someone hung a small bell to your Yoshimura mount's bottom spring.

Yea it was in the pile of stuff i ordered while i was in puerto rico. Tomorrow or friday the hi-way pegs go on then the only thing left is the extra luggage for the trip and mount the drift stealth camera. I think i'm farkled out. well maybe not.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good job. Hope that takes care of the problem.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Unhappy Over-heating Problem???

I didn't realize that there was an over-heating problem with the Versys.
My bike must be unusual as I have never experienced any over-heating problems.

Dont bother me with DETAILS!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismocycleguy View Post
I didn't realize that there was an over-heating problem with the Versys.
My bike must be unusual as I have never experienced any over-heating problems.
I think a more common issue with the Versys is running cold. It would help explain the poor fuel economy I get in cooler weather.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's right. The Thermo-Bob is a radiator bypass, as found on most engines of every application... Stock Versys cooling system has a 3mm diameter bypass hole in the thermostat instead.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
this is interesting. I have one on my KLR, but have never read anything about putting one on the Ninja 650R which is the same motor as the Versys. Why does the Versys need a Thermo-Bob and the Ninja 650R not? Mmm.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:42 AM

why exactly does one need a 'thermo-bob.......

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM

Unhappy Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
EXACTLY! +++3

Dont bother me with DETAILS!
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post

It's all been hashed out before. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=thermo-bob Some get it,Some don't. I was one of the first to purchase one for the versys. just got back to the states to put it on. My first impression are the bike warms up super quick stays a constant temperature the motor is more responsive and from the milage compared to the fuel guage it looks like a benefit of better gas milage will have something solid once i fill up tomorrow and get out the caliculator.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM

"bike warms up super quick"
How do you know that?
"stays a constant temperature"
How do you know that?
Have you installed some accurate aftermarket digital temperature gauge and made comparison measurements with the same or similar external variables?
Is it not true that people's MPG is all over the map in this Forum?
Is it not true unless the ambient air temperature is low enough to cause thermostat cycling
Thermobob is not even functioning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
It's all been hashed out before. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=thermo-bob Some get it,Some don't. I was one of the first to purchase one for the versys. just got back to the states to put it on. My first impression are the bike warms up super quick stays a constant temperature the motor is more responsive and from the milage compared to the fuel guage it looks like a benefit of better gas milage will have something solid once i fill up tomorrow and get out the caliculator.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 05-18-2011 at 01:19 PM.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
"bike warms up super quick"

How do you know that?

"stays a constant temperature"

How do you know that?

Have you installed some accurate aftermarket digital temperature gauge and made comparison measurements with the same or similar external variables.

People's MPG is all over the chart in this Forum.

Things i have put on my bike are professionally done and the product is tested by the shop. So if you want your own proof spend your money to find out your own answers. Most of your post are knocking something someone has done to thier bikes. Are you jealous or just an ass hole.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Very precise answer that adds confidence in your claims.
It would have been great if you could provide precise answers to my questions.

"professionally done"
What does that mean?
Not self installed, the thermbob is not hard to install correctly. It's either installed correctly or it's not.

"tested by the shop"
What does that mean? Can you provide the results of the "testing" to us.

Won't comment about you resorting to name calling. That speaks for itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Things i have put on my bike are professionally done and the product is tested by the shop. So if you want your own proof spend your money to find out your own answers. Most of your post are knocking something someone has done to thier bikes. Are you jealous or just an ass hole.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 05-18-2011 at 01:35 PM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
Very precise answer that adds confidence in your claims.
It would have been great if you could provide precise answers to my questions.

"professionally done"
What does that mean?
Not self installed, the thermbob is not hard to install correctly. It's either installed correctly or it's not.

"tested by the shop"
What does that mean? Can you provide the results of the "testing" to us.

Won't comment about you resorting to name calling. That speaks for itself!

I'll be in california next week if you would like to meet up and go over any of your concerns?

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Whats this thing do?
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM

I have to totally agree with cmoreride. I guess that makes me another asshole...so be it. You make a lot of claims with absolutely no definitive evidence; it's just your subjective rationalizations for spending your money. If you want to no one cares but if you have no scientific evidence then shut up.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Let's not get into a name calling contest over this guys.

Here is a link to what sold me on getting the Thermo Bob for the KLR 650. That big honking cylinder definitely needed something.

http://members.cox.net/watt-man/TB%20Testing1.htm

I am still not sure why it is recommended for the Versys but not the ER6N or the Ninja 650R when they run the same engine. Wondering if it has to do with the fact that some thought the versys was a dual sport and it got it's own section over at klr650.net.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
I have to totally agree with cmoreride. I guess that makes me another asshole...so be it. You make a lot of claims with absolutely no definitive evidence; it's just your subjective rationalizations for spending your money. If you want to no one cares but if you have no scientific evidence then shut up.
I have no problem spending money. So no need to rationalize it. I'm happy with my purchase of the Therm-O-Bob for my bike so thats all that really matters. Some feel its a good thing some don't.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 PM

I just ordered a Thermo Bob and picked exactly the wrong time for it.

I really should have done it before the winter and checked if there was any difference, probably most clearly observed in the gas mileage.
Look at how the gas mileage currently fluctuates perfectly with the ambient temperature of the season:

After the Thermo-Bob install I expect to see a marked improvement or at least steadying of the fuel usage through the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode