Lowered the front 5mm, what to do now? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lowered the front 5mm, what to do now?

Hi guys

Been out of here for a long time, but am still riding the versys and its as good as it was last year!

Before I was complaning a bit because I felt the stock front a bit too high comparing with the rear

Found a match setup both for one and two up the bike which was

rear: preload on the 3th / mid point, damping 4 clicks out
front: preload 4 turns out, damping 3/4 of one turn out

Now on the last revision (18.000km) I asked the mech to lower the front a bit, he lowered about 5mm (1/2 cm). Now when ridding I lost just a tiny bit of front feedback and donīt feel so much confident in turning compared to how it was before. Only thing I did was getting the rear damping one more click out and it felt better, but still would like to fine tune a bit the front,

So how should I correct this, should I add in preload to the front and/or lower the front damping, or should I get the back on higher preload and /or damping ?

thks for any advice, am a bit lost here on how to fine tune this one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 PM

Hi Ninogui,

From what little I know, any lowering at the front is to be equally lowered at the rear. This is to keep the bike geometry level.

Lowering the front make the bike stable at straights but feels unstable during turns plus any ground clearance issues. I am not sure how much lower was it to standard before this.

2 ways to look at it. Either
1. Shorten the rear shock with an aftermarket one. ER6 stock comes to mind.
2. Rear Lowering kit as http://motowerk.com/LoweringKit.aspx

Saying this, there might be a need to shorten the sidestand if the bike looks too upright. Checkout http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx

It would be good to recheck the bike sag again. See if you can readjust the rear sag before spending any money.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM

raise the front back to where it was...sounds as if you had no issues with handling then

Cheers

RCF

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 AM
DR_

Does the front preload raise and lower the front like the rear preload raises and lowers the rear? If so I would think you could get 5mm of adjustment out of the preload.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Mine is lowered 5mm in front also. Try adding more front compression (1/2 turn) and see how it feels. Then maybe add 1 turn of front preload if needed.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys

sorry for the late reply, been too busy at work

thks for all your suggestions

reduced 2 clicks on back compression, added 1/4 turn front compression and 1 turn front preload

well.. now it feels exactly close to what it felt before!

added bonus: more straight line stability
un-added bonus: now my knee is closer to grasping the road!

hehehe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Be hard to feel less than a quarter inch; what was the point, If anything it would quicken the steering and lessen straight line stability (by the SLIGHTEST amount)?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode