Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn on order - anyone have installed pics? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn on order - anyone have installed pics?

I just ordered a set of these horns, I think they'll come in quite handy in the certain situations where I need to be heard. I've read quite a few people have installed them, but I haven't really seen any pictures of them installed. Some people put them on the left side some mounted original horn area. Since this unit is much heavier than the stock, can the original mounting point support this much weight? Any pictures of installed units would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 AM

I had one on my KLX250SF and it mounted to the original mount with no problem. I ordered one for my Versys and it should be there when I get back from this trip. I don't anticipate any issues with the V either.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 AM

I have had mine on the original mounting point for two years with no problems. It is amazing how loud it is and how some people will still ignore it. Last fall I had some woman almost run over me while I was holding the horn on. She didn't pay any attention. Once she got in from of me she had a back window covered in HD stickers. Go figure.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage

IMG_0769 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0752 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0009 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
Since this unit is much heavier than the stock, can the original mounting point support this much weight?
Nope.
I lost a Stebel because the mount broke, another forum member noticed the bracket failing on his Stebel install and moved the Stebel before he lost his.

Quote:
Any pictures of installed units would be greatly appreciated.
I got some good responses with nice photos in this thread.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:00 AM
DR_

Are there any good horn options that aren't so big?

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Versys Left Side Horn Mount-

I don't have pictures but I can tell you I mounted my Stebel horn behind the left side fairing ala previous posts on this forum. I used a piece of galvanized flat stock (mild steel), 3/4" wide and 4" long and about 3/32 thick purchased at Home Depot for my bracket. I drilled holes in each end for mounting and mounted it to an existing fastener/bolt hole location. I had to bend it just right to make sure there was a little clearance for the fairing and tank. I had to bend and fit it several times to get it to fit but eventually it did. I stuck a piece of "stick on" weather strip type foam on each area that might make contact with the fairing or tank which protects nicely. If you care about the appearance of the bike, this is an excellent location because it's out of sight and the horn is still plenty loud. Other than that, you just need to locate the relay in a location that's also covered if possible.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
...another forum member noticed the bracket failing on his Stebel install and moved the Stebel before he lost his.
That would be me.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
Here's one a little smaller in both size and price. It's what I used.

http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy...orn-94117.html

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:19 PM

Here are some pictures of my "big boy" horn installed. Just as loud as a Stebel and a whole lot cheaper. I found clearance under the left fairing, but no good mounting points so I secured the horn with Electrical Ties as you can see in the pictures. There has been no problem now for over a year.

I had to add some additional wire and wired it into the original horn wires so no relay was required. I also added a Velcrow patch where the top of the horn am into contact with the inside of the fairing to prevent any possible wear. Worked out perfect.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 04-10-2012 at 07:14 PM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
Stebel Magnum.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I had to add some additional wire and wired it into the original horn wires so no relay was required.
Don, what is the current draw on your horn? If it's anything like the Stebel you run the risk of overwhelming the OEM horn wiring, which is pretty flimsy as it only needs to deal with the OEM horn's meager output.

On both my bikes I used the OEM horn switch and wiring to fire a relay that opens a pathway directly from the battery. I think this makes more sense as it protects the OEM horn wiring from overload.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM

I was thinking about a horn upgrade but this article http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...comparison.htm convince me out of it.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
I was thinking about a horn upgrade but this article http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...comparison.htm convince me out of it.
Read the same article after commiting to the Stebel, I was also convinced that the Stebel was not going to work. Looking for alternatives I turned to the coveted youtube for some comparisons on how the horns sounded, of all the horns in the article I actually didn't like any of them.

Ran across the PIAA 500Hz horn and was impressed with the sound.

After looking at the compacc.com website I might have gotten the wrong one and maybe should have gotten this instead, PIAA Slimline Sports Horn, sounds really loud.

I heard the install was just a quick tapping the wires from the old horn and putting them on the new one with no need for a relay.

J B Nimble

08 Kawasaki Versys 650 (22,400 mi.)

Givi Windscreen
EZ Pass Holder(bar mounted)
6 panel fuse box(Twisted throttle)
Ground wiring block(Twisted Throttle)
Motowerks GPS Bracket
GPS City Tom Tom bracket
12V accessory plug
TomTom 720 Go
Hepco & Becker engine guard
Hella FF50 Driving lights
Bags Connection "Shorty" tankbag
Bags Connection "Cargobag"
Givi 52L trunk box & rack
Saddlemen Gel Seat
Ermax Hugger Fender

06 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold 13, 679 mi.)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great responses everyone! I think the two locations I will try are either behind the left fairing or on the right side between the frame. For mounting on the right side, did you fab a bracket? I'm not to great at fabbing things, so I might have to go the zip tie under the left fairing route

Thanks!

[QUOTE=weljo2001;150546]
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
[quote=lazybummm;151022]Thanks for the great responses everyone! I think the two locations I will try are either behind the left fairing or on the right side between the frame. For mounting on the right side, did you fab a bracket? I'm not to great at fabbing things, so I might have to go the zip tie under the left fairing route

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

On that picture the place i mounted was already on the bike.mines an 09 but i believe all the models have it. just looks like a tab with a hole in it on the right side next to the top of the engine.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

[quote=weljo2001;151029]
Quote:
Thanks for the great responses everyone! I think the two locations I will try are either behind the left fairing or on the right side between the frame. For mounting on the right side, did you fab a bracket? I'm not to great at fabbing things, so I might have to go the zip tie under the left fairing route

Thanks!

On that picture the place i mounted was already on the bike.mines an 09 but i believe all the models have it. just looks like a tab with a hole in it on the right side next to the top of the engine.
Awesome thanks! I have a 09, and I've seen pictures online with it, I haven't had time to ride in the past week so I haven't looked at the bike closely. When I get it, I'll probably mount it up right there and see if I can throw a couple of zip ties on for safety measure.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:58 PM

There seems to be some concerns from a few folk about wiring/relays etc. As far as the Stebal Magnum goes, I've had one fitted to my previous bikes and never had a problem. No fuses blowing, no horn packing up and despite what that article says, it's much more impressive/noisy than the pathetic oe excuse.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:32 AM

I have the Stebel and I mounted mine under the fairing on the left side like Fasteddiecopman did. Worked great after I fabbed a bracket from a piece of aluminum flat stock. Very easy, cut it correct length, drilled 2 holes, installed.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ghlight=stebel

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm just hoping the compact version will be loud. It seems a lot of people have got the bigger magnum, I bought the wiring kit with relay and fuse built in because I didn't feel like messing with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode