Windshield Removal Hint - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Windshield Removal Hint

Whenever removing your V windshield or re-adjusting its height, or turning it upside down, several have lamented the fact that they lost the nut, bushing, or whatever as it fell down the front of the bike.

Gravity is what it is, and does what it does.

An easy remedy is to drape a towel or rag beneath the nuts holding the windshield in place. And, if you do drop one, it will fall on the towel and you will not lose it.

Just a thought, hope someone finds it worthwhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:38 PM

Good tip. I suppose this tip is for the 07 to 09 models.

For the 2010 V, the well nuts won't fall inside the instrument panel but there is a risk it may get torn up from excessive brute force while trying to remove them. I found the front well nuts extremely difficult to pull off or unplug and pretty much impossible by hand power, well my hands and fingers aren't that strong. This is due to the fact that the hole is kinda small compared to the rear holes/bung. The smaller hole is caused by a alignment mismatch between 2 plastic panels that are laminated together.

While the rear well nuts can be removed by hand, and WD40 would help to make it more slippery, the front well nuts needs more force to unplug. Apart from WD40, a narrow nose plier would be really handy to have. To avoid tearing the rubber plugs up, carefully pull the nuts out as far as you can with your fingers. I think it should come out about 3 to 4mm before it becomes impossible to move out any further. use the narrow nose pliers, one jaw inside the bore and the other jaw, as much as possible grip the body (not the flange) of the nuts, and pull out but not all the way. Do it at the 4 quadrants slowly until the nut comes off.

I had tried using the screws to mount into the well and act as a place holder for the plier and then pull them out but I didn't want to risk messing up the screw from the tight clamping jaws. If you have a longer screw, that may help.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofer View Post
Whenever removing your V windshield or re-adjusting its height, or turning it upside down, several have lamented the fact that they lost the nut, bushing, or whatever as it fell down the front of the bike.

Gravity is what it is, and does what it does.

An easy remedy is to drape a towel or rag beneath the nuts holding the windshield in place. And, if you do drop one, it will fall on the towel and you will not lose it.

Just a thought, hope someone finds it worthwhile.
Trying using masking tape once you have loosen the nut/bolts. Works and never need to drop and spend hours finding missing bolts/nuts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 12:42 AM

The only sure way to keep from losing these parts is to have plenty of spares on hand.

This is why I just picked up four new rubber dampers for the windshield at the dealer yesterday.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
Good tip. I suppose this tip is for the 07 to 09 models.
No, it's for people that have 5 thumbs !

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode