Value of tip over protection - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Value of tip over protection

I sometimes wonder why they don't just sell all bikes with included tip over protection. When you think about it the odds are pretty great a bike is going to fall over at least once in it's life while parked or from a stupid mistake while moving it or riding. And when it does it is going to land on the side fairing which will either scratch or break. After all they put bumpers on cars.

Got my Versys earlier this year and immediately installed SW-Motech crash bars and Barkbuster hand guards. I debated after ward if it was money well spent as I was not crazy about the extra weight or the look and had convinced myself I would never drop it. Then I dropped it. Stopped on a steep hill and my left foot would not reach the pavement as it was sloping away - bike went over. With the SW Motech crash bars there was no damage to bike - not even a scratch. My crash bars and hand guards have now paid for themselves

This has reaffirmed my belief in the value of tip over protection. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the value of installing tip over protection?

Last edited by Sprocket; 04-09-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:05 AM

It's not factory equipped because they have to sell replacement parts somehow. I cracked a 600 side cover on my Norton, I'm sure the tip over protection would have been less than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Damage controlled- The bike belong to a friend of mine.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 01:01 PM
DR_

I would rather pay a few extra dollars per year on a low deductible and if I drop it I'm only out $100. Now if I was dual sporting it and expected to drop it then I can see a better case for them.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 PM

IMO this will depend on how you intend to use the bike. On adventure touring bikes including Vstroms I have installed crash guards because I plan to occasionally ride off road and probability of lay down is high. I bought Versys to be used as a middle weight comfortable sport bike with no intention of taking off road. So I have installed T-rex frame and bar end sliders. These will provide a small degree of protection at much less weight. Probability of lay down is low so decided against full engine guards.

2004 Hon XR250
2004 Kawi KDX220
2006 Suzi DL1000
2009 Suzi DR650
2011 Kawi 650 Versys
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 03:49 PM

"offroad" That term gets used a lot

This is not "Offroad" and observe how fast he going!

Note the posters comment
"I won't do it again. Versys is not designed for this"

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 04-10-2011 at 07:20 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 PM
njd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
I would rather pay a few extra dollars per year on a low deductible and if I drop it I'm only out $100. Now if I was dual sporting it and expected to drop it then I can see a better case for them.
And then your rate goes up so you spend more in the long run.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post
"offroad" That term gets used a lot

This is not "Offroad" and observe how fast he going!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nWbT...eature=related

Note the posters comment
Yeah, but it's not exactly graded gravel either cmore, based on the movement his bike makes going over the stones.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 AM

I really hope Kawi upgrades the KLR soon ! --- Or I may actually have to get a BMW G650 GS --- I gotta do me summa DAT !

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoreride View Post

Note the posters comment
I agree, the Versys with the suspension it has is a pure street bike.
The bike's geometry lends itself to take some nicely graded gravel as well, because you can easily ride the Versys standing, but that's about it.

The suspension needs some radical changes to be able to easily handle a road like that.

Back on topic:
SW Motech crash bars was one of the first things that I installed when I got my Versys. I think the HB and SWM crash bars don't look ugly on the Versys and with me weighing 220 lbs I didn't think the extra weight of the bars would ruin the ride.
Even if I never go down with the Versys, I appreciate the peace of mind that the crash bars and hand guards give, that to me is worth the price of admission. YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode