Lowering front end after installign Speedy's kit - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lowering front end after installign Speedy's kit

Hi,

I installed Speedy's lowering kit and am wondering how much did you lower the front after installing the kit. The instructiosn say you can lower it up to .875" (22 mm). Has anyone lowered it less and is that better for handling?

R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:04 PM

You can lower it to the bottom of the smooth portion. Do not let the bottom of the clamps go past the smooth portion. I marked a red arrow on the photo below.

Below copied from a previous post I made last year copied from here.

If you have a triple tree front stand (the kind that has a pin) and lifts the bike by the bottom of the triple tree like the photo below, it makes the lowering of the front a breeze if you have two people. It literally took us 5 minutes. See Warning Below!

I used a stand like above and slid a 2X4 under the front wheel and made the 2X4 a lever to hold the wheel from dropping when my buddy loosened all 6 fork clamp screws. After they were all loose, I easily lifted the forks up to the new location with the 2X4. While I held in place, my buddy tightened up the fork clamps and we were done! If you do not have a front lift that uses the triple tree pin and a helper... DO NOT USE MY METHOD OF LOOSENING ALL THE FORK CLAMP BOLTS OR YOU WILL DROP YOUR BIKE ONTO THE FRONT FENDER!!!

If you do not have a front stand with pin, follow Speedy's instructions to lower the front.

Inspect your chain slack after lowering the rear, mine got tight and I had to adjust the tension per the owners / maintenance manual. This was my first chain driven bike so I had a little learning to do but it was not bad at all.

FYI if you adjust chain tension, you will need new cotter pins (5/32 X 1.5" Lowes has 'em) as well as a 22mm and 27mm socket for the rear axle bolt as well as two 12mm open end wrenches to adjust the tensioner screws.

Good luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Lowered mine to 22mm but than adjusted it a little higher and the bike handles superb. Just try a few settings to get the sweat spot.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:06 PM

You didn't mention shortening the kickstand. It is highly recommended due to the lean angle while parked. Speedy's Flatfoot works well for this.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:22 PM

You don't really need to recommend lowering the kickstand. It will be obvious the you must lower it after the bike topples over (please don't ask me how I know this).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Did the kickstand

I put an ER6 kickstand on the bike. I had lowered the front end to bottom of smooth spot but moved it back up some. Was just wondering how far down others had gone.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Keep in mind the lowering kit (or Hyperpro lowering spring) lowers the rear more than you can possibly lower the front. If you lower the front to the max it will still be higher in front than stock.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode