Arrow Install Verification - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Arrow Install Verification

Hey all, I just installed a arrow slip-on on my versys. I wanted to post some pictures to make sure everything looks ok, lol. I'm not very mechanically inclined and I'm feeling good about putting this on myself, but I just want to make sure I didn't screw it up since there aren't exact step-by-step installation instructions. After I verify this is ok and complete, I'll write something up.

Picture one I want to make sure the clamp appears to be ok. My concern, is on the 2nd picture, the big clamp that holds the can up. There is a gap you can see in the 2nd picture, so it's not flush with the can, all the other areas are fine. Does anyone else see the same thing on their install? On the 3rd picture I want to make sure the bracket orientation is correct it goes backwards or toward the other side of the bike.

One last thing I just realized...was there suppose to be a gasket on the slip on? I didn't notice any I just threw it on and tightened the clamp that mates the exhaust pipes

Thanks in advance for the helps! I want to make sure before I put everything back together!

Last edited by lazybummm; 03-27-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:09 AM

Only thing I can see is you have to peel the white vinyl off your support band. Careful that thing has sharp edges...

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dezertv; 03-28-2011 at 03:13 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

You mean the white vinyl that is on the outside or surface of the band?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM

yep

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Is that a stock header?

Your stock muffler has a heat resistant gasket where it clamps onto your header. This is not usable on your slip-on. I briefly owned a two brothers pipe that I purchased some Moose Exhaust tape to fill the gap to stop all leaks where you bolt the slip-on to the stock header. If you do not have a good fit here, you may be leaking exhaust before the tip of your pipe. Check for fit. If you have the clamp on your pipe tightened all the way to where your bending the metal to the outer diameter of the stock header, there may be some need for some tape.
May cost $20.

You might trim that rubber down a little if you're not happy with the fit of the can bracket. Is it held snuggly? This is the key to wether it is done right or not. IMO

Good luck

Last edited by scotty_h; 03-28-2011 at 03:24 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I have a stock header and the pipes look like it has a pretty good fit. I can see a little bit of a gap. After your post I did a little search, and will heat shield material work? Because that's what it kind of looks like actually.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-14002-15-Thermo-Shield-Roll/dp/B00029KC2U/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1301341547&sr=8-16
For the big clamp around the can, it's definitely a snug fit and it doesn't move.

EDIT:

I just found this on Kragen/O'reilly for $3.49

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...d=exhaust+tape

Do you think that will work?

Last edited by lazybummm; 03-28-2011 at 03:51 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 PM

I looks like you could push the muffler on to the header pipe a little further. Did you use the metal lube that Arrow includes to help slide the two together? Also if you trim the rubber mounting strap, it will help the fit of the strap a little better. You did mount the bracket to the frame correctly. It is the only way it will work correctly. It took me 20 minutes to figure it out.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Just did my Arrow install this past weekend, getting the old ( stock ) muffler was more problematic than getting the new one on. I must say that it's loud, can't fire it up in the garage any more or 'blip' it on the warmup. I do like it while riding though, I actually have a bike that makes a noise other than a sewing machine. Not sure what it sounds like to others but it can't be any worse than the straight-pipe Harleys. Pretty sure I'm not going to be setting off any car alarms either.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 PM

I have a question for you arrow guys ...

Have you noticed a reduction in vibration after the install?

Sometimes when an engine is "corked-up" they can vibrate more than when un-corked ... I am doing all I can to minimize vibration so that's why I ask ...

I have a new Arrow slip-on in black that I bought on impulse that I really don't need, but if it had some benefit on reducing vibration ....

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
I have a stock header and the pipes look like it has a pretty good fit. I can see a little bit of a gap. After your post I did a little search, and will heat shield material work? Because that's what it kind of looks like actually.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-140...341547&sr=8-16

For the big clamp around the can, it's definitely a snug fit and it doesn't move.

EDIT:

I just found this on Kragen/O'reilly for $3.49

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...d=exhaust+tape

Do you think that will work?

Sorry for the delay. This looks like a good alternative solution. Worst case scenario, it melts and you have to scrape it off right? Should be fire retardant. I say "go for it". Looks like you've done a good job.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 06:04 PM

I've just installed my arrow exhaust, and my main concern is how close the rear of the can is to the back tire. Like 4mm close. Is that what ya'll are seeing?

Perhaps I didn't bang the exhaust far enough up the header pipe? But it's all the way up to the rib.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 07:05 PM

Wow. 4 mm is close for anything. I was concerned with my stock exhaust tip being 1cm from my rear tire (Shinko 009). What tires are you running? I can't imagine an exhaust being designed to be less than 1/2 cm from a moving part. I'd like to know as well, as I'm eyeing that exhaust.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM

Shinko 705's.

I've also got a bash plate that's crazy-close to the front of the exhaust can. I've bent it a bit and have proabaly 6 to 8mm there.

I think if I point the pipe down a little bit, I can get 1cm out of it. I'l need to extend the hanger bracket to do that, though. Or perhaps I can put a spacer between the clip around the exhaust and the hanger bracket to move the can further to the outside of the bike. That'll be the first thing I try tomorrow morning..

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 01:05 AM

Garage
Man that is one ugly poorly designed slip on. Sorry if I upset anyone but that's my opinion
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 AM

Yeah - I'm not sure if this is a problem just for me with the larger-than-stock tires and one-tooth larger rear sprocket (which pulls the rear wheel a tiny amount closer), or if this really is common for all Arrow cans.

The can itself seems very solid a well built. I can't blame them for the tight clearance with my aftermarket skid plate, too.

Bottom line is that I'm going to be able to make this thing fit, but not without a bit of elbow grease (what is that stuff, anyway) and a custom bracket spacer.

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 PM

Sorry you are having problems Jeff. I still have the stock tires, and I am lowered with the Motowerk kit. With the lowering kit I had lots of clearance on my bike. The pipe is designed well and is built solid. I think the larger than stock rear tire is causing most of your issues.
You can rotate the can slightly and gain a little extra room.

Here's a pic that shows how much room I had at the rear:

Last edited by MarkPMB; 01-13-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode