HID lights - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HID lights

Now that the price of HID lights have come down into the affordable range I was thinking of trying one in the low beam position. Has anyone tried this? Any problems with the heat? I am thinking 6k kelvin so the beam will still be white.

I did a search for hid, HID with no results.

TIA

Bob

edited to correct the kelvin

Ride em if ya got em!

Last edited by tinner; 03-28-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
An old thread about HID.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1076

I have HID 6000K on my low beam and love it.
I have more plans this summer

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Have ordered a set and will report on fitting.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

I wonder why it did not show up in my search.

Have a great night.

Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I have picked up a BikeMaster 6000k kit. I will try to get it installed soon. Supposed to snow again Friday so it may be awhile before I get to try it.

Thanks again for the link.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

I did Future Vision replacements in both High and low. Challenge with the high is that they are not instant on and take a while to warm up. So no flash to pass. You do need to be careful with the aiming as if you dont have it adjusted well people think your brights are on all the time.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:51 PM

I have 4500K in my low beam. I did not replace the high beam for the exact reason listed above. I am thinking of ordering a bi-xenon projector to retrofit into the headlight to have a good beam pattern and both high and low HID.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rickescazu
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post
I have picked up a BikeMaster 6000k kit. I will try to get it installed soon. Supposed to snow again Friday so it may be awhile before I get to try it.

Thanks again for the link.
HI there curious to do the upgrade but want to know what i am getting into. mine is a 2011 V and no maint or circuit manuals out there so I want a KISS kit....anyone else can chime in on these conversions....

I saw this one too and was wondering why 3 prices...
http://www.hidkitsxenonlights.com/ka...dlights-bulbs/

thanks for any help ideas or advice,

Rick
Escazu Costa Rica
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

I bought THIS from a local dealer. I really like it. I had some concerns about the possibility of melting the diffuser thingy but after I PM'd a member here he reassured me that it would be ok. And after a quick trip to the garage I can confirm that he was correct. This one comes with a relay and wiring harness. But I used neither. Strictly a plug and play on my 08. I am not familiar with the other years. I would estimate 15 minutes max to complete the installation.

YMMV

Ride em if ya got em!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I bought THIS from a local dealer. I really like it. I had some concerns about the possibility of melting the diffuser thingy but after I PM'd a member here he reassured me that it would be ok. And after a quick trip to the garage I can confirm that he was correct. This one comes with a relay and wiring harness. But I used neither. Strictly a plug and play on my 08. I am not familiar with the other years. I would estimate 15 minutes max to complete the installation.

YMMV
OK i found several internet sources for that brand. it comes with ballast, relay and harnesses. you say you did not need anything. did the bulb just work in the old socket or did you mod it? where did you mount the ballast? does it get very hot? i assume you only did the low beam right? what temp did you go with and would you do it over again?

thanks for your time.

rick
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

low beam only
remove old bulb and adapter
install new bulb which has its own plug. And seal. Old plug, plugs into the ballast wire. I zip tied the ballast on the right side of the housing.

It is very easy to do. Even a Harley rider could do it...lol

Yes they get very hot. So I am told.

Latex gloves used for installing. do not touch the bulb to any thing unless you want to clean it with alcohol before lighting it up.

Yes I would do it again in a heart beat. The nice thing is that if the bulb takes a crap it is a 15 minute fix. As long as you have the old bulb with you. And I do.

: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
low beam only
remove old bulb and adapter
install new bulb which has its own plug. And seal. Old plug, plugs into the ballast wire. I zip tied the ballast on the right side of the housing.

It is very easy to do. Even a Harley rider could do it...lol

Yes they get very hot. So I am told.

Latex gloves used for installing. do not touch the bulb to any thing unless you want to clean it with alcohol before lighting it up.

Yes I would do it again in a heart beat. The nice thing is that if the bulb takes a crap it is a 15 minute fix. As long as you have the old bulb with you. And I do.

: )
great info you sold me, but since i am so far from anything reasonable i will buy a spare bulb for mine....rather than convert back to stock. thanks again...decided to go for the 2 bros carbon exhaust too....these farkels are addicting
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Scooters are the cheap part of this hobby...lol

That reminds me. I have a full arrow exhaust to sell.

Ride Safe!

Ride em if ya got em!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 AM

I have 4500K in my low beam only. Have them in all my cars, and would recommend them to anyone. Got them from ddmtuning.com. $35 for the pair (just looked now they are $40), and I have a spare for the Versys.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
I have 4500K in my low beam only. Have them in all my cars, and would recommend them to anyone. Got them from ddmtuning.com. $35 for the pair (just looked now they are $40), and I have a spare for the Versys.
a day late,,, i just spent $60 for a kit on another site...i went with 5K to get more white...did you use 35w or 55W, any issue with heat? this kit for $40 is just a bulb, and ballast no adapter or anything else. where did you mount the ballast?

thanks

rick
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 AM

I have 35W. There is not a problem with heat. I don't know about the ballast, but I have seen people actually take the temperature of the bulb and they are cooler than normal 55W halogen bulbs.

The kit I got from DDM had everything needed to install in the Versys. I don't know which adapter you are referring to.

I mounted my ballasts to the fairing support brackets near the instrument cluster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode