New Corbin Seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Corbin Seat

Well, the V is so much fun that my [previously anti-riding] wife has actually begun asking me to take her occasionally; I think the Corbin Canyon Dual Sport seat with the optional, removeable backrest LOOKS like it would be more comfortable for both of us, and provide her some good security. I've read Corbin's seats are sometimes judged to be too hard, but of course they say that it takes 1500 miles to break in and begin conforming to one's personal shape. Fact or fiction, and any personal experiences and insights would be most welcome before I seriously consider dropping $700 US on this farkle...or should anything that expensive be called a FARKLE ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 PM

I had a Corbin on my Triumph Trophy, the wife and I both hated it. It was compared to a finely sculpted piece of oak. After 10,000 miles, it was as hard as it was new. Fitment was a pain as well, it took about 6 hours of fiddling to get it on the bike. The rear latch mechanism was installed slightly off center, enough to cause an issue, but not enough that the holes could be redrilled. I know I am not the first to experience such an issue, as a couple of other told me their horror stories. I will say, however, they do the BEST leather work out there. The cover construction quality and appearance was outstanding. I think you may be more pleased with a sargent or russell modified seat, and there are a couple of other companies that come highly recommended on this forum.

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 PM

Just a thought. Depending on where you're located, maybe some one near you with a Versys with a Corbin would let you try it to see what you thought of it. I've had Corbins on the last five or six bikes I've owned and have always been pleased. Yes, they are firm-and don't really break in. Feels the same after ten hours in the saddle as when just starting out. Just like Mercedes Benz' car seats are firm.

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Talking New Corbin Dual-Density Seat

I just purchased a Corbin Saddle last week. Dropped into the Hollister plant on Thursday riding North, and picked it up Friday riding South.
Mine is a dual density seat. Firmer foam base with a softer memory foam top layer. Very comfortable. This is my first Corbin Seat. I have always heard how hard Corbin seats were and how long it takes to break them in. Mine seat does not seem overly hard and in fact is very comfy. I also asked for, and received, a different stitching design/pattern on the riders seat, and no stitching pattern on the passenger seating area. The seat is way more comfortable and spacious than the stock Versys seat. I also like the wider seating area.
I have not done any Iron Butt rides yet, but so far I am liking it.
While at Corbin's I was also treated to a full factory tour. From seeing the laying out of the fiberglass seat pan, foam formation, trimming, sewing and fitting of the seat cover, and finally the riveting on of the cover and hardware.
I was also told to adjust the height of the rear latch by adding some metal washers under the latch to make the attaching of the saddle easier especially in the beginning. Then to remove washers as the seat pan/saddle adjusts to the mounting points on the bike.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”

Last edited by Pismocycleguy; 03-25-2011 at 08:45 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM

I love my Corbin. I had the Baldwin seat for a while but didn't like it. So I tooka chance with the Corbin and I am glad I did. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I ride 1-up so I don't know if the passenger is as comfortable.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 PM

I bought one for my 2008 Versys and sold it two weeks later. Hard as a rock and it will never "break in".

Previously had one on my ST1300. Same thing. Hard as a rock. Sold it and replaced it with the stock seat.

You might look into the Russell Day Long seat.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 PM

The Corbin does not break in; after 1500 miles your butt does!!!!!!!

:>)-
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 PM

We have the Corbin with the backrest on our Versys. The Corbin is comfortable to up to 100 miles. The Corbins passenger seat area is smaller than the stock seat is. My wife weights about 120 and she does sit closer to me than she does on the stock seat. The seating area for the passenger is 10 inches wide and 9 1/2 inches to the backrest post. I have the large oval backrest on my bike. My wife says this is our first Corbin and our last. We prefer the Russell that we have on our FJR. Hope this helps and ride safe.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 PM

My scoot came with the Corbin. Waaayyyyy to hard for this old man. Guess I still need to put it up for sale...lol

I have heard that the russell really is a day long. But I have never been on one myself.

edit: my seat has been sold to someone on this forum!

Ride em if ya got em!

Last edited by tinner; 03-29-2011 at 05:57 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Lee

I placed an order for my Corbin seat and backrest yesterday. I had the same setup on my FZ1 and the wife loved it, especially the backrest. I agree with the others that the seat is hard, but it does break in after awhile. Anything is better that the Versys stock seat in my opinion. 100 miles or so and I'm ready for that break. I will post up here as soon as I recieve mine and ride awhile.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Have had Corbin on V4-750-Saber, GL1200, DL650, and NT700V. They may seem hard initially but when the Corbin is correct it is an all day seat. Very best looking seat. Customer service is good regardless of what a few bad apples have to say. Corbin provides heavy but strong seat pan.

Had Russel day-long on Kawi Concours and GL1800. Gigantic bucket that looks nice on large touring bike but out of place on smaller bikes. Locks rider into one position and may be a stretch to the ground. Most comfortable and ugliest of all seats I have owned. Re-use stock seat pan.

Had Rick Mayer seat on Varadero. Good looks approaching Corbin and good comfort approaching Russel. Good compromise between looks and comfort. Good customer service. Re-use stock seat pan.

All good depending on your priorities.

2004 Hon XR250
2004 Kawi KDX220
2006 Suzi DL1000
2009 Suzi DR650
2011 Kawi 650 Versys
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM

I love German cars, and they generally have rock hard seats. If they are shaped right, this is the way to go. The best car seat I have ever used (for me) is on my wife's Beemer, and the seat is very hard. Same with Corbin. Mine is hard, it does not soften, but it is very comfortable. People who own older model American cars with very plush and cushy seats will generally not like the Corbin on their bikes...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 PM

The biggest problem with the stock seat is the downward slope and the elevated tailbone section. I did some surgery on mine to level out the tailbone area, give it a little bit of a cup / bowl shape, and padded up the fore section with small cuts of firm camping mattress pad glued to the front half of the seat pan.

Also removed a bit of foam from the area of the pillion seat that makes contact with your lower back / tailbone area to give just a bit more seating area. All of this with a 2" drum sander and about 30 - 40 minutes.

I wouldn't call it a "Road Sofa" now, but it is a huge improvement over stock, and something I know my butt will adjust to much easier than the stock configuration. The primary pressure point near the tailbone / upper butt area has been relaxed / removed, and the seating pressure is now spread over a much larger area of the buttocks. The density of the stock seat foam is fine once you get it shaped right.

Eric

2009 Kawasaki Versys - Candy Plasma Blue
2013 Yamaha WR250R
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophyrider View Post
It was compared to a finely sculpted piece of oak. After 10,000 miles, it was as hard as it was new. Fitment was a pain as well, it took about 6 hours of fiddling to get it on the bike. The rear latch mechanism was installed slightly off center, enough to cause an issue, but not enough that the holes could be redrilled.
I had a corbin on my V for 8000 miles before I took it off and sold it. I was hard as on rock on mile 1 and mile 8000. Never broke in. I had to fiddle with it to get it to catch the latch. I ended up having to put spacers under the latch so it would be long enough. I also had the leather stitching come loose as well.

Never again will I buy a corbin.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 PM

Eric, I'm thinking of doing just what you did to the stock seat. Were you able to re-use the stock seat cover? How about a photo of the cover installed. TIA

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 PM

Well, the OP asked for some feedback. This Corbin seat is very controversial. But there is no controversy with my ass. It is a 1000 mile a day seat. Period. It is NOT a bar to bar seat or even a commuter seat. If you ride long and ride hard, you need a seat with great support. Once your ass goes, the mind will follow. Some call great support "hard". So be it.

If you like soft seats, and don't burn many 1000 mile days, any seat will do. No need to drop $700 on a Corbin. But it has been the best $600 I spent on my Versys. No doubt. I could not go 100 miles on the stock seat without squirming. It was way too soft. YMMV
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 PM

Larry, you're only 3 hours from me via a beautiful twisty road through Boone. One day later this spring or summer we should meet up there.

Here's a pic with the cover on:

The stock cover fits fine. It is stretchy. The only part of the modification you will notice visually when you put the cover back on is the small forward section of the pillion seat that I carved back and flattened (vertically) a bit. I don't think it looks bad, plus it gives me a "locked in" feeling in the seat. It touches the lower back, upper pelvis area and probably provides just a bit more seating room. Feels great.

A few tips: Careful pulling the stock staples out. Wiggle them up with a small screwdriver and then use pliers to yank them out. You can stop pulling staples about an inch or two aft the seam in the seat, then peel the cover back. They put a TON of staples in that thing. I only replaced about half the staples that were there to begin with, which is more than enough. The passenger foam lifts right out. Don't remove the pillion foam, just carve it right there on the pan. Put on a particle mask!!

For the rider's seat, draw a line about 6 to 8 inches in from the rear of the seat, on top. Then slowly carve from the rear to the front, back and forth with the drum sander (or other abrasive device) The idea is to remove the upward lip on the rear part of the seat, along the same plane where you drew the line. Don't take too much foam away at first, but also don't worry about the foam being too thin. There's plenty of foam there.

The blue foam pad squares are self explanatory. I used hot glue. Cut to size and put them on the forward half of the pan. None on the rear. Staple cover back in place, use short staples. I think mine were 6mm but I can't remember. The staples were my only expense here... about $3.00.

Ride report: I got about 1 hour and 45 minutes on it after work today. I set out with the intent of being mindful of the seat. Typically, after less than an hour, my arse begins to feel the burn. When I returned home I realized that the seat never crossed my mind the entire ride. I was enjoying the beautiful weather and the pleasant NC spring scenery. I'd highly recommend giving this a shot before dropping big bread on a new seat. If it works for you half as well as it felt for me today, you will consider it a major success. Also, there is no sliding forward anymore at all. No more "front wedgies". I'm loving it and can't wait till I have the time for a 5 or 6 hour day in the NC mountains!!

Good luck!
Eric

2009 Kawasaki Versys - Candy Plasma Blue
2013 Yamaha WR250R

Last edited by emdavis197; 03-29-2011 at 11:19 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I placed an order for my Corbin seat and backrest yesterday. I had the same setup on my FZ1 and the wife loved it, especially the backrest. I agree with the others that the seat is hard, but it does break in after awhile. Anything is better that the Versys stock seat in my opinion. 100 miles or so and I'm ready for that break. I will post up here as soon as I recieve mine and ride awhile.
I've had the Corbin for a couple weeks now, and I love it. Far better than the stock seat. 300 mile days...........no problem.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I've had the Corbin for a couple weeks now, and I love it. Far better than the stock seat. 300 mile days...........no problem.

+1

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 PM

I emailed Sargent to see if they were going to develop a replacement seat for the Versys as I had a Sargent on my 12GS beemer and it was the best mod I carried out in almost five years of ownership.

So the good news from Sargent is that they are hopefully going to bring said Versys seat to the market in the near future. I know that I for one will be banging on their door to get the first one should it happen.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode