Stant Superstat Thermostat Install - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Stant Superstat Thermostat Install

Stant's 180°F (82°C like OEM) Superstat # 45868 was fitted by removing just over 1/8" around its 2.050" flange to match original 1.750" diameter. Jiggler pin cut off, its bleeder hole of 3/32" (2.38125 mm) diameter compared to stock 3 mm is not on top when installed in its only possible position. I drilled a 1/16" hole on top, between the marked '5' and '2' as seen on photos. This gives me 9% less bypass hole surface area (6.4328 mm2 from original 7.0686 mm2). I also trimmed and bent the sides of the tabs a bit for a good fit... I also removed some paint overspray that was starting to peel from the edge in the thermostat housing.

-SuperStat® Thermostats-

"Unlike conventional thermostats that continually open and close to achieve the proper operating temperature and flood the engine with coolant, the Stant SuperStat® thermostat has a patented v-notch, non-linear design that reduces cycling by precisely metering the amount of coolant needed to maintain proper operating temperature.

The v-notch provides a small inital flow. As the engine heats up, the v-notch gradually opens wider, metering coolant into the system until the desired engine temperature is reached.

The benefits of proper engine temperature are efficient engine operation, prolonged engine life, reduced oil consumption, improved fuel economy and reduced emissions.

Stant's SuperStat® uses a high flow venturi for maximum cooling capacity during high temperature, high load operation and employs a patented Weir Valve® for precise flow metering during cold weather, light load operation to ensure stable temperature control under all conditions. The high strength stainless steel flange is burnished to a bright finish for additional stress relief and added corrosion resistance. The Stant SuperStat® thermostat flange thickness of 0.040" is 33% thicker than our standard reverse poppet thermostat and up to 43% thicker than competition for added strength and longer life.

The power element of SuperStat® is comparable to those used in heavy-duty trucks. Its actuator piston is 25% larger in diameter than our standard thermostat and 56% larger than competitive product. This larger piston delivers 1 1/2 times the power of our standard thermostat and almost 2 1/2 times as much power as the competition for enhanced durability and longer life. The opening spring of the Stant SuperStat® thermostat is designed with a load that is 50% stronger than our standard reverse poppet thermostat. This heavy-duty spring helps return the thermostat to the closed position and prevent cold running, even under the most adverse conditions."

http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?br...ocation_id=168

http://stant.com/common/part_locator...m.cfm?id=45868

Stock NTCL (Nippon Thermostat Co LTD) 82°C (179.6°F) thermostat is exactly as shown, but without the rubber seal on it.

"Opening valve diameter 26mm. Used for small cars." http://www.ntcl.co.jp/en/products/motor/#thermo02

Original NTCL / Stant Superstat #45868

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thermostat 001.JPG (454.7 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg thermostat 002.JPG (413.4 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg thermostat 005.JPG (435.4 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg thermostat 006.JPG (435.4 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg thermostat 007.JPG (438.0 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg thermostat 008.JPG (418.1 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg thermostat 009.JPG (418.4 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg thermostat 010.JPG (399.2 KB, 378 views)

Last edited by invader; 02-10-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
good find.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Looks like you could use a 45028 and not have to trim the flange or cut the jiggle pin.

Why did you use a smaller bypass?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 02:55 PM

Is there any noticeable difference in how the bike runs?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

# 45028 is of 1.7" diameter, but it doesn't seem to be offset for a good fit and to add bypass hole. A slightly smaller bypass helps engine warm up faster. Stant's Supertsat is also designed to start opening more gradually and consistently, with less need for bypass pre-flow. The large stock bypass is a compromise for the cooling system's lack of a radiator bypass.

I'll be trying it out as soon as winter ends up here. I'll also see if the crankcase will feel warmer to the touch compared to before.

Last edited by invader; 03-13-2011 at 07:25 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Some better pics... The thermostat cover O-ring had flattened and shrunk down from 2.50 mm to 2.20 mm causing it to leak, so I got a new one at local hydraulics supplier for $1.
I removed some black engine paint overspray that was flaking off at the coolant passage entrance behind thermostat.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Invader, thanks for the write up. I went the Super Stat route on my C-10 Connie and noticed an huge reduction in temperature swings. Of course that bike has a real coolant temp gauge so one could actually measure it with a temp gun.

A question, though iff'n you see this thread. How about not cutting that jiggly tit off and just drilling maybe a 3/32" hole in the top?

I really do miss having a real, live temp gauge on this bike, but like everything else about it.('15LT)
invader likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Invader, thanks for the write up. I went the Super Stat route on my C-10 Connie and noticed an huge reduction in temperature swings. Of course that bike has a real coolant temp gauge so one could actually measure it with a temp gun.

A question, though iff'n you see this thread. How about not cutting that jiggly tit off and just drilling maybe a 3/32" hole in the top?

I really do miss having a real, live temp gauge on this bike, but like everything else about it.('15LT)
It's really interesting to know it improved temperature control so well in the 1000.

You could do that instead, but why? I don't know what the exact difference from stock would then be, with that jiggler pin still in.

Last edited by invader; 01-01-2017 at 01:12 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Stant's 180°F (82°C like OEM) Superstat # 45868 was fitted by removing just over 1/8" around its 2.050" flange to match original 1.750" diameter. Jiggler pin cut off, its bleeder hole of 3/32" (2.38125 mm) diameter compared to stock 3 mm is not on top when installed in its only possible position. I drilled a 1/16" hole on top, between the marked '5' and '2' as seen on photos. This gives me 9% less bypass hole surface area (6.4328 mm2 from original 7.0686 mm2). I also trimmed and bent the sides of the tabs a bit for a good fit... I also removed some paint overspray that was starting to peel from the edge in the thermostat housing.

-SuperStat®️ Thermostats-

"Unlike conventional thermostats that continually open and close to achieve the proper operating temperature and flood the engine with coolant, the Stant SuperStat®️ thermostat has a patented v-notch, non-linear design that reduces cycling by precisely metering the amount of coolant needed to maintain proper operating temperature.

The v-notch provides a small inital flow. As the engine heats up, the v-notch gradually opens wider, metering coolant into the system until the desired engine temperature is reached.

The benefits of proper engine temperature are efficient engine operation, prolonged engine life, reduced oil consumption, improved fuel economy and reduced emissions.

Stant's SuperStat®️ uses a high flow venturi for maximum cooling capacity during high temperature, high load operation and employs a patented Weir Valve®️ for precise flow metering during cold weather, light load operation to ensure stable temperature control under all conditions. The high strength stainless steel flange is burnished to a bright finish for additional stress relief and added corrosion resistance. The Stant SuperStat®️ thermostat flange thickness of 0.040" is 33% thicker than our standard reverse poppet thermostat and up to 43% thicker than competition for added strength and longer life.

The power element of SuperStat®️ is comparable to those used in heavy-duty trucks. Its actuator piston is 25% larger in diameter than our standard thermostat and 56% larger than competitive product. This larger piston delivers 1 1/2 times the power of our standard thermostat and almost 2 1/2 times as much power as the competition for enhanced durability and longer life. The opening spring of the Stant SuperStat®️ thermostat is designed with a load that is 50% stronger than our standard reverse poppet thermostat. This heavy-duty spring helps return the thermostat to the closed position and prevent cold running, even under the most adverse conditions."

http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?br...ocation_id=168

http://stant.com/common/part_locator...m.cfm?id=45868

Stock NTCL (Nippon Thermostat Co LTD) 82°C (179.6°F) thermostat is exactly as shown, but without the rubber seal on it.

"Opening valve diameter 26mm. Used for small cars." http://www.ntcl.co.jp/en/products/motor/#thermo02

Original NTCL / Stant Superstat #45868

I went with a Stant 13958, same OD, now I’m running roughly 20 degrees hotter at any given outside tempeith better mpg. I may look into altering my TPS sensor to “fool” the ECU into thinking my throttle’s not open as far as it really is in hopes it may run a bit leaner.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpadg View Post
I went with a Stant 13958, same OD, now I’m running roughly 20 degrees hotter at any given outside tempeith better mpg. I may look into altering my TPS sensor to “fool” the ECU into thinking my throttle’s not open as far as it really is in hopes it may run a bit leaner.
Why would you think it should run leaner? If anything, you might want to rotate main throttle sensor counterclockwise to richen it, mostly in the lower range.
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode