Speedy's peg lowering affect shift/brake levers ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speedy's peg lowering affect shift/brake levers ?

I would like to add Speedy's peg lowering kit but I wonder how it affects the brake and shift levers. The brake lever right now is quite low anyways (it seems I really have to tilt my foot down to apply the brakes) so that probably won't be an issue but the shift lever is in the perfect position for my liking right now and dropping the peg another inch or so is quite a bit. It doesn't look to me like the shift lever is adjustable like others that I have had where it is attached to a splined shaft and could easily be taken off and re-positioned. Do these two levers have any adjustment or are they usually okay after lowering the pegs? Any input is appreciated....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Yes, the shift lever is adjustable. It is on page 3 of the installation instructions on the Motowerk website: http://motowerk.com/Documents/Web_Ka...structions.pdf
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:33 PM

For me, the peg lowering fixed the brake lever position. Had to adjust the shifter a bit.

Shift lever adjustment procedure is included in the online instructions on Speedy's website.

http://motowerk.com/Documents/Web_Ka...structions.pdf

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Great minds...LOL!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks much. I didn't look that far on Speedy's install
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
Thanks much. I didn't look that far on Speedy's install
Unless you have the ability to cut yourself with a wooden spoon, those ajustement are easy stuff !

Don't worry

LOP
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimel View Post
For me, the peg lowering fixed the brake lever position. Had to adjust the shifter a bit.

Shift lever adjustment procedure is included in the online instructions on Speedy's website.

http://motowerk.com/Documents/Web_Ka...structions.pdf
Same for me. I had to adjust the shifter - simple to do. the Brake lever was fine for me after the lowering peg install.

That was 18,000 miles ago! Still love 'em!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Question

Did you pre adjust the brake lever linkage as instructed by Speedy, or did you leave it as stock, and it did not need any adjustments? After installing the lowering peg brackets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
Same for me. I had to adjust the shifter - simple to do. the Brake lever was fine for me after the lowering peg install.

That was 18,000 miles ago! Still love 'em!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Don't forget to check the brake switch when you adjust the rear pedal, that needs to be adjusted to to insure it's not on all the time ( ask me how I know )

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 PM

I just adjusted the shifter, like the others have said the brake lever seemed low originally, with the lower pegs it felt right with no adjustments.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 AM

My brake lever was in the stock position. Installed the lowering kit. Brake lever now where it should have been.

IMHO the brake lever setup in the stock position is for a much more leaned forward body position which is not what the Versys has.

2009 Kawasaki Versys

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 AM

Installed the lowering kit. Brake lever now where it should have been.

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM

I didn't move the brake pedal on my 2010, but now I've done a few hundred miles after fitting the lowering kit it seems fine
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Talking

I didn't readjust the brake pedal after installing the lowering brackets. The brake pedal position is a lot better than from the factory and may be perfect. I would first try the brake pedal after the installation before going to the trouble of adjusting prior to riding.
I did adjust the shift lever to get the same relationship with the foot peg as before the install, very easy to do.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 PM
djg

At 6' 3", my foot is tilted down more than most. I had to adjust both levers, brake is at the limit of adjustment.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismocycleguy View Post
I didn't readjust the brake pedal after installing the lowering brackets. The brake pedal position is a lot better than from the factory and may be perfect. I would first try the brake pedal after the installation before going to the trouble of adjusting prior to riding.
I did adjust the shift lever to get the same relationship with the foot peg as before the install, very easy to do.
I'm 6' 2" and I found that the brake pedal was a lot more comfortable,
responsive, and easier to modulate after I installed the lowering brackets. No brake pedal adjustment needed after installation.
Maybe this is because I also have a taller seat, so a lot more leg room.

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

I ended up adjusting the shifter but the brake lever ended up just right for me. It was way too low beforehand
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
At 6' 3", my foot is tilted down more than most. I had to adjust both levers, brake is at the limit of adjustment.
Hey - I just installed the motowerk lowering pegs and the brake pedal feels off-center not really too high? I just printed speedy's 9 page instructions which do a good job of explaining the shift linkage adjustment on the left, BUT the brake side has me stumped!
"Remove 4 allen bolts then 12mm plunger etc. forbrake switch light- turn whole assembly clockwise"??? How does this affect brake pedal?? Nothing seems to be about pedal position, they just want to make sure brake light isn't constantly on?? PLEASE school me

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

Last edited by Morgan2112; 08-15-2012 at 11:09 PM.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM

Thumbs up Just Right!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
I ended up adjusting the shifter but the brake lever ended up just right for me. It was way too low beforehand
I'm 6'2" and also found the brake lever was too low before installing Speedy's lowering peg bracket. After installation, the brake lever was just right.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 PM

Meh..
I'm needing help interpreting Speedy's instructions on actually moving/adjusting brake pedal position.....?
Thanks!

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode