Trying a new Rear Shock Modification - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Trying a new Rear Shock Modification

So I have been doing a little research into the R1 Shock mod and decided to look into other shock options with similiar eye to eye lengths. What I found was that the 01-06 CBR600F4i shock has a 292mm eye to eye length (perfect so I do not have to do any lowering kits on the bike this should lower the rear end about 1") and 14.2kg/mm spring on it stock (better for my weight of 185+ in gear, I am running the 16kg/mm stock spring on the lowest setting to get the sag I need and agree that the bike rides much better 2-up than with just me on it.

I bought the new shock off ebay and will be trying to fit it to the bike in the next few weeks. I live in buffalo so riding may be a month or so away but I hope that the shock will have the correct valving to match the spring rate. The CBR shock has a 57mm of travel while the R1 has 64mm of travel so I hope the travel will not be an issue. Once I get the shock mounted up I will be posting some pictures. Hopefully everything works out.

For those with experience please chime in. I can machine the shock bushings at work or make spacers for it if i have to for the mounting bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Best of luck to you, russo.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Are you expecting an inch more of rider sag due to the shorter eye-to-eye length, or due to the lower spring rate?

I'm running an 08 R1 shock with a 13.8 kg/mm spring, with approximately the same wet weight as you. I do have a Givi e52 topbox as well, though. And to get the Eibach spring to fit I had to install adapter collars, which bumped up the minimum preload one notch. In any case, I'm getting 50 mm of rider sag at the minimum setting.. which is what I wanted. Recall Gustavo's "Black Magic" post:

Quote:
Front - 25%-33% compression (or 37.5-49.5mm out of a total of 150mm travel available)
Rear - 25%-35% compression (or 36-51mm out of a total of 145mm travel available)
The original yellow spring off the R1 shock is roughly 9 kg/mm, so I'm not surprised that with my 13.8 kg/mm spring I have to crank up the rebound damping adjuster to the max to get the rear under control. Depending on how worn the F4i shock is, you should have better results. Do you know if that shock is rebuildable/rechargeable? The R1 shock is... so I'm glad to know that I've got options should I want to go after that last few percentiles of performance.

- Steve
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 PM

So, set me straight here- you guys are going from 145mm (5.7") of shock travel, to 64mm (2.5")? too wacky, what did I miss? Is there a difference between stroke and travel?
A quick search says R1's shock travel is 5.3" (sounds more plausible), so about 1.5" of sag should be the target.
I put Speedy's lowering block on my '09, which, beside lowering the seat height, seemed to have the effect of taking some of the harshness out of the rear ( I already had the pre-load at minimum). Still not really what you'd call supple, but enough improvement that I turned my attention to the front end (did the Gustavo mod, I like it!).
So maybe I'm back to the rear, and using a "take-off" shock from a higher-spec bike is the kind of thing that appeals to me- reduce, re-use, recycle! But if you need to source a new spring, then possibly rebuild the shock to get enough rebound damping to keep up with the spring, where's the logic in that? Is this why the shock that Russo's using might be a better choice? The rebound damping circuit was designed to cope with the spring?
The stuff I've been reading on it makes it look like the shock is not rebuildable but could be rebuilt!?!- http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums...t=17193&page=2

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Extra sag will be achieved with the softer spring... 56 mm is the stock shock stroke travel.

Last edited by invader; 04-13-2011 at 09:49 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
So, set me straight here- you guys are going from 145mm (5.7") of shock travel, to 64mm (2.5")? too wacky, what did I miss? Is there a difference between stroke and travel?...
Yes, 145mm is the rear suspension travel---that is, the travel of the rear wheel. 64mm is shock travel, but since it's mounted closer to the fulcrum of the swingarm (and often, though not in the case of the Versys, with a linkage) it can provide more than double the amount of actual wheel travel.

For my part, I'd recommend the R1 shock with a custom spring. You can either have a custom spring made to match the R1 shock, or use a standard Eibach spring with collar adapters (I got mine from Racetech) on both ends. Depending on the condition of your R1 shock and your riding style, you may need to get it revalved to accommodate the higher spring rate. But the improvement is undeniable. My Versys feels like a whole new bike, and I can't wait to ride it everyday... where before I was discouraged by the unsettled ride and handling. However you want to approach it, the Versys absolutely needs a new rear shock.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

My expectation is that the bike will have a little more sag in the 50mm range compared to the stock bike but because the eye to eye length is 10mm shorter the bike will sit about 1" lower than stock height.

I am hoping the rebound and compression valving wil be good since it is designed for the spring that comes stock on the original bike.

No shock yet I hope it will arrive shortly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Thanks UAV, I appreciate the education!
Keep us posted Russo, it will be interesting to hear your results.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Shock is here just waiting for the snow to melt a little so I can pull the bike out of storage and start the work on it. Ill have before and after pics and as well and ride feedback, and height and sag differences ect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode