need power commander - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
need power commander

i just ordered full arrow exhaust. will i need a power commander too? any help would be nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM

After my ''adventures'', i can say that you will need it 101%
You will have to be richer, maybe more than 0.2:1 AFR(i am still searching too)
Dont forget that every bike is different
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 AM

You won't be happy with your full system without it.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 AM

Don't forget Dobeck performance EJK. If all you need is fuel adjustment on a road bike.

http://www.electronicjetkit.com/Spor...number=9120294
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I don't feel any need for a Power Commander at all with my Muzzy header, custom Magnaflow silencer and Yoshimura quiet insert, Pipercross air filter, heat insulated airbox, smooth matched inlet flanges and exhaust port outlets, ignition timing advanced 5 degrees, removed subthrottle plates, sealed PAIR valve, throttle sensor output voltage raised to spec, throttle body vacuum hose coupler... Driveability is flawless without any backfiring, tractability and performance are excellent, as is my fuel mileage.

Last edited by invader; 02-18-2011 at 05:03 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 PM

What kind of mileage are you getting with that set up Invader?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM

I average 56 miles per US gallon.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I average 56 miles per US gallon.

Partner, I'm not trying to doubt you, but I'd sure like to see some numbers backing this up. Especially with all those mods. Like how many miles per tank & how many US gallons per fill up.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 PM

I consistently get 56 miles per US gallon, as calculated upon every fillup. I can't prove it, even if I throw a bunch of miles and gallons figures at you.
By the way, 15/43 and 16/46 sprockets adds about 6.75% to indicated mileage, 15/44 adds about 4.5%, and a 150/70 rear tire about 3%.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I consistently get 56 miles per US gallon, as calculated upon every fillup. I can't prove it, even if I throw a bunch of miles and gallons figures at you.
By the way, 15/43 and 16/46 sprockets adds about 6.75% to indicated mileage, 15/44 adds about 4.5%, and a 150/70 rear tire about 3%.

Why not put up the numbers you're using to calculate it at every fill up? Seems easy enough to me....

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 PM

I think what invader is saying is that even if he puts up the numbers he gets, there's no way to prove they are the number he gets. Anyone can make up numbers and post them.

Quote:
smooth matched inlet flanges and exhaust port outlets, ignition timing advanced 5 degrees
This is the first I remember seeing him say this though. How did you advance the timing and is it 5 degrees across the board (through the entire rpm range)???
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post
I think what invader is saying is that even if he puts up the numbers he gets, there's no way to prove they are the number he gets. Anyone can make up numbers and post them.

This is the first I remember seeing him say this though. How did you advance the timing and is it 5 degrees across the board (through the entire rpm range)???

Then why even answer with an MPG number when asked, and go further to say he calculates his MPG every fill up? It's not complicated math, it's miles per tank divided by gallons per fill up. It's not exact, but it's pretty close, and will back up the claim. I see so many guys say they're getting high MPG, but when asked to post simple numbers to back up their claims, it RARELY happens. And I mean RARELY. Just looking for some proof.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM

Here's some Versys MPG data calculated on fill-ups:

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/versys

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Here's some Versys MPG data calculated on fill-ups:

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/versys
That is more like what I'd like to see when guys claim what MPG they're getting. Simply, miles per tank at fill up, & how many gallons to fill the tank. Heck, I can do the math.

And none of this "half a tank gas up" stuff either. Run that sucker down to or past the blinking fuel light, then fill it up. Record the numbers. Do this for three or four fill ups. I think we would start to see a little more realistic MPG numbers....

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post

That's right. The math has already been done. New figures will have to wait till riding season starts again. Results will still be the same, and as virtually realistic... It did get a tad better after I adjusted my valves and indexed my spark plugs. I also use 91 pump octane (95 RON), Amsoil synthetic 0W-40, and usually keep revs a bit lower and at under 70 mph.

Yeah, it was posted a few times before... I advanced ignition timing +5 degrees by slotting the timing rotor groove a bit to rotate it clockwise on the crankshaft alignment pin. (3 mm on its 220 mm circumference) 5 degrees advanced across the board.

Last edited by invader; 02-18-2011 at 08:46 PM.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:40 PM

I contacted fuelly and told them that some of the Versys data was junk because there was either zero fill-ups or fill-ups were low number like one or two. Mr fuelly got back to me in about five minutes and said they filtered those for cars but not for motorcycles, and that he would put it on his to-do list. Awesome.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
It did get a tad better after I adjusted my valves and indexed my spark plugs. I also use 91 pump octane (95 RON), Amsoil synthetic 0W-40, and usually keep revs a bit lower and at under 70 mph.
Ah...that makes sense. Mine gets around 45-48, but I never keep the rev's low for two reasons. First is that mine runs pretty badly at low rpms (both before and after mods such as slip-on, removed subthrottle plates, adjusted throttle and subthrottle sensors, blocked pair valve, etc) and secondly, the motor is just a lot more fun in the higher revs. I keep the revs generally between 5500 and 7500 and it pretty often sees 100 on the speedometer.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:54 AM

Invader what are the benefits in advancing the timing? I am interested in doing this.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:14 AM

Advancing ignition timing improves response, performance, and smoothness. Efficiency is otherwise compromised by retarded ignition timing to allow use of low octane gasoline.

Stock Versys ignition timing ranges from 10 BTDC @ 1300 rpm, to 33 BTDC @ 5000+ rpm.
ER-6/Ninja 650R: From 10 BTDC @ 1300 rpm, to 35 BTDC @ 4800+ rpm.
BRP typically advances his Ninja 650R's ignition timing by 3 degrees with Dynojet's ignition timing module (used with PC3).

Timing advance rotors are available for carbureted models. Factory Pro's ER500 rotor advances timing by 5 degrees, just like the Vance&Hines timing rotor I had on 1990 ZX6.

http://www.factorypro.com/products/rotors.html

It also advanced my fuel timing by 5 degrees, but with no noticeable ill effect. It runs fine on 89 pump (93 RON), but low-end tractability, grunt and fuel efficiency is even better with 91 American pump octane (95 RON).

Last edited by invader; 02-19-2011 at 05:53 AM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
i just ordered full arrow exhaust. will i need a power commander too? any help would be nice

May I ask what you paid for the complete system?

TIA

Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode