Tank range/mpg with PC - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tank range/mpg with PC

I just put on a new Leo Vince underbody exhaust with PCIII and custom dyno tuned map. My tank range went down noticeably. I hit half tank at 88 miles which was shocking to me. Last fuel indicator dot started blinking at 170 miles. I figure with probably 30 miles left at that point I would be dry near the 200 mile mark. I love the improvement in performance, it feels great! But I need help making the loss in mileage ok in my head. The tuner was like "your'e getting almost 200 miles still, what's the problem?" If you are running a PCIII or V what did it do to your mileage? The dyno run shows the map I came to the tune with (red line) and the improved custom map I have now plus optimum air fuel which he called spot on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys dyno.jpg (91.1 KB, 517 views)

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 AM
cls

My fuel gauge drops down very quickly from full, as well. It gets down to one bar left in about 110 miles but then it takes another 100'ish miles to start flashing for reserve. I can get another 50-60 miles from there, if I push it. My engine/fuel set-up is stock, except for a TBR slip-on. Still, the gauge is the gauge. I lost about 5 mpg when I did exhaust, PC, air filter, and sub-throttle plates on a Ninja 650. I'd bet you lost about the same, were I a betting man.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
WITHOUT one of those, I went 265 miles and figure I had about 1/2 gallonUS left - I fill it right to the lip in the filler neck, about 1/2 to 3/4" down, and that puts an extra .3 gal at least.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Less restrictive pipe flows more mixture, uses more gas. Sounds nice though.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
The tuner was like "your'e getting almost 200 miles still, what's the problem?"
Most tuner types are brain dead about mpg. The decent mpg is one of the major selling points of the versys imo.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The decent mpg is one of the major selling points of the versys imo.
Exactly
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Performance ain't free.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Performance ain't free.

But it sure was fun while I had it.

: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
With me mpg on a bike is not a concern even with our fuel being expensive to me. We own a suzuki swift 1300cc car, now that is like a rollerskate with a engine but very cheap to run. If I want to make my litre go a little further just back off the throttle and on straight roads i do ride mostly at speed limit or just above at 100 kph or 60 mph but when it comes to those corners the power is on, revs are up etc.

Would like some more out and out power but will not spend it on the v trying to squeeze a few more horse power out of her. Am considering maybe getting a 2nd horse and am going to test ride a 2nd hand Z1000 and am sure that will answer my more power question.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 PM

The new Z1000 is heads and shoulders above the old one. I'd wait on a used one of those. And don't worry, it's plenty thirsty.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Performance ain't free.
Your dyno run shows some nice improvements. Where do you think they cam from? It takes more gas to make more power.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I know but I didn't realize it would take so much! And I have seen lots of pc talk on here with no real mention of decreased gas mileage being a big factor which to me it is. Everybody just talks about what map is better or the auto tune feature of the pcV. Nobody has said it cuts your mileage almost in half! Well let me be the one to say it...a pc with a custome tune or auto tune is great for performance but terrible for mileage. Doesn't matter to me now...pc is coming out after an aggressive ride today that saw a half tank dissapear in a whopping 70 miles! There's no way I can make that work in my head, especially with a slip on that Leo said was engineered to be used with the stock set up. I hope this post helps people coming along that may be wanting to do this mod. I wish it would have been on here before I plunked down the $550 bucks to find this out. Oh well, the learning never stops I guess!
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I know but I didn't realize it would take so much! And I have seen lots of pc talk on here with no real mention of decreased gas mileage being a big factor which to me it is. Everybody just talks about what map is better or the auto tune feature of the pcV. Nobody has said it cuts your mileage almost in half! Well let me be the one to say it...a pc with a custome tune or auto tune is great for performance but terrible for mileage. Doesn't matter to me now...pc is coming out after an aggressive ride today that saw a half tank dissapear in a whopping 70 miles! There's no way I can make that work in my head, especially with a slip on that Leo said was engineered to be used with the stock set up. I hope this post helps people coming along that may be wanting to do this mod. I wish it would have been on here before I plunked down the $550 bucks to find this out. Oh well, the learning never stops I guess!
I have a PC-V and Autotune, and I still have reasonable mileage, around 47. Those gas gauges aren't very linear. What are you really getting, using the odometer and fuel amount? And how hard are you riding? A heavy throttle hand will run through a lot of fuel quickly.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I guess it goes to show that many who are looking for performance don't care as much about efficiency. Some consider it worth the price.

post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I have a PC-V and Autotune, and I still have reasonable mileage, around 47. Those gas gauges aren't very linear. What are you really getting, using the odometer and fuel amount? And how hard are you riding? A heavy throttle hand will run through a lot of fuel quickly.

Would you mind telling how many miles per tank, and how many gallons per fill up, and maybe even mention your riding style? Do you baby it to get that kind of mileage?

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I usually ride at a leisurely pace 70 miles to get to the twisty mountain roads. Once I get up there the fun begins and I rail the turns but usually chill on the straights. I don't need to be going 100mph in a straight line to make me feel like I'm the man so I just chill and save it for the turns. No wheelies or burnouts either. I feel like I ride the bike the way it was designed to be ridden... sensibly aggresive is how I would describe my riding style. And mileage has never been an issue until the pc.

I have had plenty of other bikes with full systems, air box mods and re jetting done and never had the drop in mileage like this. I got the gains and still had nearly the same fuel range. This is my first fuel injected bike and my first experience with a pc and not terribly happy about watching my fuel gauge drop like a brick right before my eyes while not even riding that hard. Like I said, the gains are great but not worth the significant drop in mileage, especially when the talking heads on tv are talking about $4.00 gasoline by summer!

Last edited by antman325; 02-09-2011 at 11:30 PM.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 PM

Garage
How about a less aggressive tune on the PC? Split the difference between economy and extra power?

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
How about a less aggressive tune on the PC? Split the difference between economy and extra power?
I said the same thing to Huey (the guy who did the tune) and he said he could but would not advise it being any leaner than it already is.

So no one on here wants to say what their mileage/range is with pcIII/V???

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 AM

From what I gather, mods to the Versys for extra power are expensive and yield little gains. It seems Kaw has squeezed all the HP this little plant can give. Why not get a second big engined beater when you want speed?
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 AM

There might have been a better option...

Perhaps those wanting horsepower upgrades could consider replacing the Versys cams with the 650R Ninja cams, and adjusting the tune to match the Ninja. Fuel consumption changes should not be so dramatic if paired with a more performance-oriented cam design.

Antman, you might look at substituting cams, or search out those that have done so, to determine if this might be an approach you would want to take. Based on what I have read, the computer tune works well with the Ninja.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode