Front brake caliper upgrade - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front brake caliper upgrade

Prior to my purchase of the V I was riding a Suzuki V-Strom. One of the performance upgrades I performed to the V-Strom was a front brake caliper upgrade using readily available 4 piston Tokico calipers and a bracket kit designed and manufactured by SV Racing Parts.

I was thinking that this would be an upgrade to do to the V but I was unable to find the bracket kit so I contacted Blair Layton at SV concerning a bracket kit. Below is my inquiry and his response:

Hello Blair,

Have you ever considered developing a front brake caliper adapter kit for
the Kawasaki Versys for the same calipers that can be used with the V-Strom
kits. I have been unable to find a source for a kit to fit the Versys.

IMHO the Versys has the same brake performance as the stock V-Strom brakes and a caliper upgrade would be a definite plus.

I installed one of your kits on my '09 Wee and was quite impressed with the
upgrade. The brake upgrade improved the front brakes from merely adequate to excellent 2 finger braking. Unfortunately the Wee was totaled in a collision
this past October.

Hi Bob, That is a project that I hope to get done this coming riding season,

I will be posting up when they are available,

Thank you for all your support, I appreciate it.

Let me know whenever you want any performance parts for your bikes, like
Chain and Sprocket Combinations, Galfer lifetime guaranteed SS Brake Lines
or their superb brake pads for example,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

W. Blair Layton
SV Racing Parts
[email protected]
www.svracingparts.com

If anyone else is interested in a bracket kit I would suggest contacting him to show your interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 03:46 PM

I sent him a note, thanks for the heads up, I hope he does it!

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM

Garage
Not to be funny, but coming from a KLR I think the brakes on the Versys are great.

Mark

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle

Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 AM

I keep seeing brake caliper adapters on eBay, but haven't seen one installed yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Versy...Q5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SV650...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
Not to be funny, but coming from a KLR I think the brakes on the Versys are great.

Mark
X 2!!!

Plus - I've been able to lock the front wheel at speed (did NOT mean to!) on my V, so I don't see the need for MORE front brake!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM

What is a good caliper to upgrade to?

2009 Versys Green
2007 Triumph Sprint St
2003 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Honda VFR
1997 Kawasaki ZX9R
1986 Honda VF500 Interceptor
Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 PM

Riding along with my head in the clouds the other day (not recommended). Suddenly realized the car in front of me was stopping to turn left and I grabbed a fistful of front brake (stupid). I was lucky to let go of front brake quick enough and was able to stop using both braakes with no mishap. IMO the front brakes are good the way they are. Any better and I would have been in big trouble.

PS practice those emergency stops!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:10 PM

I've been looking for such an upgrade as well but a fork rework would be needed as well to quiet down the excessive front end dive that will accompany any braking improvement.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Perhaps a set of these? http://www.altrider.com/ohlins-front...sys/pcid/377-1

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

Old 01-30-2011, 03:57 PM

I can lock the front wheel with 2 fingers. I think that the feel can be improved with a set of aftermarket brake hoses and different compound pads.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Old 01-30-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330i View Post
What is a good caliper to upgrade to?
The bracket kits that SV produces for the V-Strom uses either GSXR or 600F4 calipers. If you go to SV's site all the caliper info is available.

I used the GSXR Tokico calipers and was very pleased with them.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The bracket kits that SV produces for the V-Strom uses either GSXR or 600F4 calipers. If you go to SV's site all the caliper info is available.

I used the GSXR Tokico calipers and was very pleased with them.
What would be a ball park cost for the Versys (providing the parts were available)?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
What would be a ball park cost for the Versys (providing the parts were available)?
blipco,

SV sells the V-Strom caliper bracket kit for $75.00.
I lucked out and was able to find a low mile set of nice calipers on FleaBay for $80 or $85 shipped if I remember correctly.
Galfer brake lines for the V run approx. $90.00 plus shipping and I always install SpeedBleeders on my bikes which are $7.00 per caliper plus shipping.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There are caliper bracket adapters that are said to be for both V-Strom (DL) and Versys.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Wouldn't SV Racing Parts' adapters also work on the Versys??

http://www.svracingparts.com/product...roduct=1632834

Perhaps, but according to BRP, it's not neccessary with available pad upgrades, braided steel lines and synthetic DOT 4.

http://www.brp650forum.com/phpbb3/vi...t=2319&start=0

Last edited by invader; 01-31-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I've been looking for such an upgrade as well but a fork rework would be needed as well to quiet down the excessive front end dive that will accompany any braking improvement.
Good point... Are you already at maximum fork spring preload? I had to with stock 10W fork oil. Much better now with 13W (stock oil height) and 3 turns out from max preload. Progressive fork springs would help, although I've capped my forks at about 20F, to have about 5 psi more than atmospheric pressure in the forks' air space in 70F ambient temperature.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 PM

Come spring I'm finally going to spend a day to dial in my suspension (best I can). I have already installed SS brake lines and went with a Galfer Green pad. They're not HH but I've used them in the past with good results. Sometimes I worry the HH will be too rough on the rotors. I won't mod the forks until they need a cleaning.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:03 PM

Original Tokico pads are actually HH rated... My Vesrah JL HH pads were still a good upgrade. They now have even better performing pads like the RJL, as noted by BRP.

"The old EBC HH's were junk. Problem was the backing plate transferring heat to the pistons. Lots of warp. From the input I have received, the (EBC) EXP's stop every bit as well as the (Vesrah) RJL's and last longer."

http://www.brp650forum.com/phpbb3/vi...t=2319&start=0

Vesrah racing brake pads available in RJL, SRJL 17, and SRJL 8 compounds, as listed for EX-650 (#VD-354).

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_42.htm

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_56.htm

Last edited by invader; 01-31-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 AM

These aren't bad I suppose.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 PM

I really do like my new 2010 Versys but unfortunately it has to have some of the worst brakes of any late model bike available. So instead of constantly complaining about it, I fixed it. A pair of used Brembo 4 piston 2 pad calipers, a new Nissin Daytona 19mm radial master cylinder kit complete with brake light switch and mirror mount, a custom brake line from Spieglerusa and oh yeah a homemade adapter bracket I had proper brakes. While not cheap I think I was only out $500.00 or so which is not bad considering how well it turned out. Since I race dirt bikes I'm used to dealing with long travel front forks on hard braking so it's not much of an issue if you let the front end settle under braking then you have wonderful powerful and controlable front brake. Now I'm looking at putting a Brembo caliper on the rear to give better feel and power. Hopefully the SVracing guys come out with a caliper bracket kit for the Versys for Nissin or Tokico calipers like they did for SV's soon as good brakes are your best friend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone pics 055.JPG (764.6 KB, 1395 views)
File Type: jpg iphone pics 061.JPG (690.4 KB, 2607 views)
File Type: jpg iphone pics 063.JPG (857.1 KB, 1623 views)

Last edited by xdnok; 02-06-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 PM

xdnok, I like it. The rear needs no more power. With the front dive the rear lightens and locks easy. Maybe just SS line for the rear to improve feel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in