Mods for better fuel milage - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By hacktracker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mods for better fuel milage

What have folks done to improve your MPG (or KPG)? I just put the 16T sprocket on and haven't used it enough to get a good read. I've heard that the vacuum mod might show some improvement.

What else have people tried?

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:33 AM

i did se some from the 16t but non that i know of from the vac mod, but my bike isnt a fiar compairison becasue of all my mods, i still see low 50s with the 16t, a few high 40s too
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Add 6% to odometer/tripmeter reading (or mpg) with 16 tooth sprocket...
Advancing ignition timing 5 degrees (with at least 95 RON gas) and my airbox mod helped a bit, as did my Piper Cross air filter. The vacuum hose mod and Amsoil synthetic oil seems to help a bit too. It's hard to tell with all the mods, flange smooth-matching and fine tuning, as it improves as well from being more thoroughly broken-in... Every small detail helps.
Adding a larger windshield, saddlebags, hand guards, etc will have a negative effect on fuel mileage.

Last edited by invader; 09-03-2008 at 01:24 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 AM

Best mod for increasing fuel economy is right wrist control.

During my Formula Ford racing days, my engine builder said they shoot for 1/2 pound of fuel per horsepower hour. You can reduce frictional losses here and there, but the OEM engineers have left very little on the table.

To save fuel, you just need to ride slower.
unstable_rider and Mauser85 like this.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 AM

Yes, and keep the RPM's down.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Right on to the right wrist idea. Most of the time I'm intentional about my speed etc (I do go wild now and again). Short shifting, roller coastering, easy starts and stops etc have become almost second nature. I keep threatening to put a sign on the back of my car (or bike jacket) "Yes I'm driving slow. And saving 15%+ in gas. Now you are too. You're welcome!" I don't think the drivers behind me would like it. I'm often looking for better ways to cut down on gas.

I'm wondering if better air filter would help, or might after market pipes do more. It wouldn't help to do too much along those lines or the bike would get too lean and need new jets - defeating the purpose.

Re: speedometer and odometer accuracies. With the 16T my speedometer is dead on. I checked it on the highway last weekend and it was perfect with a measured mile. Then this morning the police put a device that flashes your speed in front of one of the schools. I approached it at 30mph, and the sign showed 30. When I dropped down, my speedo and the sign went to 29 at the same time. It doesn't get better than that.

I also checked the odometer on the highway and it fell short by just over 0.3 miles on a measured 10 mile run - 3% off. So I'll have to figure that into my MPH calcs.

A way too long post. But back to - new air filter or new pipes do much?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 01:08 AM

My understanding is most aftermarket pipes decrease your gas mileage about five to ten percent. This is due to the increased fuel usage with the reduced back pressure in the freer-breathing exhaust.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docteric View Post
I'm wondering if better air filter would help, or might after market pipes do more. It wouldn't help to do too much along those lines or the bike would get too lean and need new jets - defeating the purpose.

Re: speedometer and odometer accuracies. With the 16T my speedometer is dead on. I checked it on the highway last weekend and it was perfect with a measured mile. Then this morning the police put a device that flashes your speed in front of one of the schools. I approached it at 30mph, and the sign showed 30. When I dropped down, my speedo and the sign went to 29 at the same time. It doesn't get better than that.

I also checked the odometer on the highway and it fell short by just over 0.3 miles on a measured 10 mile run - 3% off. So I'll have to figure that into my MPH calcs.

A way too long post. But back to - new air filter or new pipes do much?
The Versys is fuel injected and has no replaceable carburator fuel jets. It normally runs a bit lean at lower rpm's, and progressively too rich at higher rpm's, stock or not. When using a Dynojet Power Commander, the lean low end is cured, but with a loss in fuel mileage. A higher flow air filter helps a bit, as did my airbox mod. I started off with a complete Muzzy header and slip-on, so I can't compare to stock.
A 16T does make the gearing and speedometer/odometer raeding 6.66% higher than with the stock 15T. I haven't checked it myself, but it is said to make the speedometer read about 1% higher than actual at highway speeds, with odometer reading 6% under. You might want to check it over longer distances...

Last edited by invader; 07-26-2011 at 04:44 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 AM

My mpg is only about 45. I don't make real fast starts but faster than the cars. People say I look like a traveling gypsy because of my large hard bags and all the other stuff I have hanging on the bike due to my travels. Most my riding is 75-80 and I have the PCIII. So for all that, I guess my mpg is about right.

What amazes me about the V is how long everything last compared to my previous Bonneville. Tires, brakes, chain and sprockets just wear so slow.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:02 AM

I can't speak to mods but I can tell you I don't have much desire to mess with the 54mph I have been seeing.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input folks. It seems like further mods are not going to have any significant improvement on the fuel usage.

I'm going to be continuing to check out the accuracy of the 'ometers as time goes on. With a difference in speed between 0 and 1%, I'm just going to call it even. Future long runs on the highway will give me a better read on the odometer.

Again, thanks for your info. The best part about this site is the shared knowledge.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Probably keeping your tires aired up to the max psi you're comfortable with and crouching down at highway speeds (or moving handlebars to get a more aerodynamic position) would be the two biggest gas saving mods.

Corey
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 01:17 PM

I just finished a 320 mile trip from 3500 feet to 8,000 feet and kept a consistent 60+MPG with my III and 2bros exhaust. Note I stayed 2-3 mph under the posted speed limit as the sawtooth mountain range in Idaho was quite a scenic trip. Oh course I did not just rely on my odometer for my readings but rather mileage posted on signs, note both only had a difference of 7 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode